Road & Building in hex. Fully tracked CT AFV wants enter

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Situation:
Have a look at 3I10. A fully tracked CT AFV wants to enter the hex from offboard using the road.

Questions:
At what MP cost could the AFV enter the Building?

• 3 MP - BU along Road & gaining elevation along Road? Where would the AFV then considered to be - in the Building/outside the Building? At what point of time would the AFV considered to be IN the Building? Is a Bog Check required in this situation?
  • Half MP + 2MP - Road & gaining elevation and entering Building?
  • Other?
TIA,
von Marwitz

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Barring Bypass, the minimum MP cost for a vehicle to enter I10 from I0 would be 1/2 movement allowance for entering a building (B23.41) and +2MP for crossing a road hexside while gaining elevation if using the road to enter the hex (B3.41) with a +3 (+4 for Stone building) Bog Check and a possibility of falling into the cellar. Of course the vehicle could still opt to enter in Bypass of the obstacle (building in this case) at 2MP (assuming it is a tracked vehicle) for initial bypass hexside and +2MP for entering the hex across a road hexside if utilizing the road rate while gaining elevation from I0.

NOTE: That unless the building is Marketplace (B23.73) or considered a Factory-Stairwell/Vehicle-Sized-Entry-Hex (B23.742), a fully tracked CT/BU AFV may only enter the building at usual building entry costs (to include minimum move D2.15), or any vehicle can enter the hex in bypass.

fanatic+1

Ryan Kent
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Barring Bypass, the minimum MP cost for a vehicle to enter I10 from I0 would be 1/2 movement allowance for entering a building (B23.41) and +2MP for crossing a road hexside while gaining elevation if using the road to enter the hex (B3.41) with a +3 (+4 for Stone building) Bog Check and a possibility of falling into the cellar. Of course the vehicle could still opt to enter in Bypass of the obstacle (building in this case) at 2MP (assuming it is a tracked vehicle) for initial bypass hexside and +2MP for entering the hex across a road hexside if utilizing the road rate while gaining elevation from I0.

NOTE: That unless the building is Marketplace (B23.73) or considered a Factory-Stairwell/Vehicle-Sized-Entry-Hex (B23.742), a fully tracked CT/BU AFV may only enter the building at usual building entry costs (to include minimum move D2.15), or any vehicle can enter the hex in bypass.
Can you use the road to reduce the vehicular MP cost to move to a higher elevation if you are moving from the a lower level? You are not actually using the road to enter the higher level hex if you are going into bypass.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can you use the road to reduce the vehicular MP cost to move to a higher elevation if you are moving from the a lower level? You are not actually using the road to enter the higher level hex if you are going into bypass.
The cost is for crossing a road hexside while using the road bonus (B3.41 & D2.16), the depiction of the road within the hex entered makes no difference except it has to exist within the hex being entered. There would be no difference should the vehicle enter into Bypass or enter into the building as it could still claim to be crossing the hexside using the road to gain elevation (See definition of Hex & hexside in the INDEX). Note also the process of VBM where one is actually bypassing the obstacle within the hex (D2.3).
* Funny that D2.3 should use this very diagram to explain Bypass and gaining elevation costs but missed the opportunity to address this very situation.

fanatic+1

Ryan Kent
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Strange that the A4.132 has mechanics for targeting infantry where the road crosses the hexside but no comparable mechanics for vehicles.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Strange that the A4.132 has mechanics for targeting infantry where the road crosses the hexside but no comparable mechanics for vehicles.
Noticed that as well. I wasn't sure I was aware of that prior to referencing for these responses.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

Thanks, Eagle4ty. For a moment, I was confused as Infantry has the option to select between two MF expenditures to be IN the hex, but then, of course, it cannot end its MPh in bypass as a vehicle an. Now the pieces have fallen together again to form the picture as it should be.

von Marwitz

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Infantry entering a hex via a road hexside

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was confused as Infantry has the option to select between two MF expenditures to be IN the hex, but then, of course, it cannot end its MPh in bypass as a vehicle <can>
The second example under A4.132 is helpful here as well. Extending that to the 3I10 case, I think it says that infantry could move from 3I11 to 3I10, using the Road, at a cost of 2MF, but would be subject to FFMO if the LOS could hit the Road as per A4.132***. It could then end its movement and would get the TEM of the Building as per B3.3, essentially being in the building. Slick.

*** - That rule also says such a unit could get FFMO if the LOS were traced to the hex center dot without crossing the in-hex terrain, but that's not the case for 3I10.

Somebody please correct me if that's wrong.