Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Oh my! Today was one of those ASL days...

I started a new scenario with one of my long-time opponents from down under - G29 / ASL192 'Shoot-n-Scoot'. Big one, many toys, looks promising.

In typical German manner, I contrieved an intricate plan to enter the board. Completely overlooking that my units have only 1/2 MF/MP for their turn of entry... 🤦‍♂️

My plan was designed in a way that I could stay out of sight of the likely Observer positions of the 150mm OBA with plentiful ammo. From jump-off positions gained, the 'real thing' would start in my German Turn 2.

Needless to say that having only half MF/MP 'all of a sudden', this totally screwed up my plan and my movement into a complete reversal of what I wanted to achieve: I ended up in big blobs of German massed units in perfect potential view of my opponent's Observer and set up to be blasted to Kingdom Come. Big Time. And once hit, I would not be able to get out. Much less reaching my intended jump-off positions in the first place.

And then - as a matter of course - disaster struck. The OBA came down just were it hurt most. Despite scurrying into a Stone Building for protection my most powerful stack: All SS units, 9-2, 658+dm MMG, 658+dm MMG, 658+LMG was whacked: Leader broke, first squad broke, second squad rolled boxcars, third squad merely pinned. But on the bright side, the building did not collapse (missed by 1) and merely a Flame was placed within. Next, the OBA eradicated a Jagdpanzer creating shellholes for good measure. It went on to create two or three more shellholes in unoccupied hexes. Scary sh*t! My other stack, also all SS, of 8-1, 658+LMG, 658+LMG was partly broken partly Pinned by a ROF tear of a measly US MMG toting HS. If you think this is bad - it gets better: Having determined that an Acquistion on my 9-2 & company would not harm, my opponent took a shot at roughly 10 hexes with an M10 GMC, through mist, through OBA hindrance and vs. +3 Stone Building TEM, rolling Snake-Eyes... And keeping ROF. Having used the ITT, though, a CH was not automatic and it turned out to become merely a normal hit to shake my boys a little more. I reckon you need to appreciate the small joys in life...

In any case, I had the heat on me - look at this:

9 of the IFT rolls were the 150mm OBA...

I took it with a stiff upper lip and was shooting back as furiously as in vain:

A fun part:

Me:
"I'll shoot at that concealed vehicle in those woods. Let's see: VTT TH AP! That's Basic for range 9. +1BU, +1 Mist, +1 Woods, +2 Concealed, -1 AQ by bracketing Area AQ. I need a Final 5."
Him:
"No, you can't use the AQ if you are firing VTT vs. a concealed unit."
Me:
"Well, then I need four." [Roll of the dice: 1,3] "Hey, I GOT it!"
Him:
"Well, what if I am a small target?"
Me:
"Well, what if I have my Armor Leader in that tank?" [Grinning and revealing it.]
Him:
"Well, what if I am a VERY small target?"

We both burst out laughing. It was a damn Jeep, so I missed by one...

Picture: A new definition of FUBAR... (Start AFPh of US Turn 1).

Ok, I got the message. I venture to propose the notion that this is going to be an uphill battle.
But you have to be optimistic - I think I'll last another turn. 🤣

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

I started a new scenario with one of my long-time opponents from down under - G29 / ASL92 'Shoot-n-Scoot'. Big one, many toys, looks promising.

In typical German manner, I contrieved an intricate plan to enter the board. Completely overlooking that my units have only 1/2 MF/MP for their turn of entry... 🤦‍♂️

My plan was designed in a way that I could stay out of sight the likely Observer positions of the 150mm OBA with plentiful ammo. From jump-off positions gained, the 'real thing' would start in my German Turn 2.

Needless to say that having only half MF/MP 'all of a sudden', this totally screwed up my plan and my movement into a complete reversal of what I wanted to achieve: I ended up in big blobs of German massed units in perfect potential view of my opponents Observer. And once hit, I would not be able to get out. Much less reaching my intended jump-off positions in the first place.

And then - as a matter of course - disaster struck. The OBA came down just were it hurt most. Despite scurrying into a Stone Building for protection my most powerful stack: All SS units, 9-2, 658+dm MMG, 658+dm MMG, 658+LMG was whacked: Leader broke, first squad broke, second squad rolled boxcars, third squad merely pinned. But on the bright side, the building did not collapse (missed by 1) and merely a Flame was placed within. Next, the OBA eracicated a Jagdpanzer creating shellholes for good measure. It went on to create two or three more shellholes in unoccupied hexes. My other stack, also all SS, of 8-1, 658+LMG, 658+LMG was partly broken partly Pinned by a ROF tear of a measly US MMG toting HS. If you think this is bad - it gets better: Having determined that an Acquistion on my 9-2 & company would not harm, my opponent took a shot at roughly 10 hexes, through mist, through OBA hindrance and vs. +3 Stone Building TEM, rolling Snake-Eyes... And keeping ROF. Having used the ITT, a CH was not automatic and it turned out to become merely a normal hit to shake my boys a little more. I reckon you need to appreciate the small joys in life...

View attachment 16802

View attachment 16803

A fun part:

Me:
"I'll shoot at that concealed vehicle in those woods. Let's see: VTT TH AP! Thats Basic 9. +1BU, +1 Mist, +1 Woods, +2 Concealed, -1 AQ by bracketing Area AQ. I need a Final 5."
Him:
Me:
Him:
Me:
"Well, what if I have my Armor Leader in that tank?" [Grinning and revealing it.]
Him:

We both bursted out laughing. It was a damn Jeep, so I missed by one...

Ok, I got the message. I venture to propose the notion that this is going to be an uphill battle.

von Marwitz
Sounds like a of fun!

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I started a new scenario with one of my long-time opponents from down under - G29 / ASL192 'Shoot-n-Scoot'. Big one, many toys, looks promising.

My plan was designed in a way that I could stay out of sight of the likely Observer positions of the 150mm OBA with plentiful ammo. From jump-off positions gained, the 'real thing' would start in my German Turn 2.

Needless to say that having only half MF/MP 'all of a sudden', this totally screwed up my plan and my movement into a complete reversal of what I wanted to achieve: I ended up in big blobs of German massed units in perfect potential view of my opponent's Observer and set up to be blasted to Kingdom Come. Big Time. And once hit, I would not be able to get out. Much less reaching my intended jump-off positions in the first place.

And then - as a matter of course - disaster struck. The OBA came down just were it hurt most. Despite scurrying into a Stone Building for protection my most powerful stack: All SS units, 9-2, 658+dm MMG, 658+dm MMG, 658+LMG was whacked: Leader broke, first squad broke, second squad rolled boxcars, third squad merely pinned. But on the bright side, the building did not collapse (missed by 1) and merely a Flame was placed within. Next, the OBA eradicated a Jagdpanzer creating shellholes for good measure. It went on to create two or three more shellholes in unoccupied hexes. Scary sh*t! My other stack, also all SS, of 8-1, 658+LMG, 658+LMG was partly broken partly Pinned by a ROF tear of a measly US MMG toting HS. If you think this is bad - it gets better: Having determined that an Acquistion on my 9-2 & company would not harm, my opponent took a shot at roughly 10 hexes with an M10 GMC, through mist, through OBA hindrance and vs. +3 Stone Building TEM, rolling Snake-Eyes... And keeping ROF. Having used the ITT, though, a CH was not automatic and it turned out to become merely a normal hit to shake my boys a little more. I reckon you need to appreciate the small joys in life...

View attachment 16802

View attachment 16803

A fun part:

Me:
"I'll shoot at that concealed vehicle in those woods. Let's see: VTT TH AP! That's Basic for range 9. +1BU, +1 Mist, +1 Woods, +2 Concealed, -1 AQ by bracketing Area AQ. I need a Final 5."
Him:
Me:
Him:
Me:
Him:

We both burst out laughing. It was a damn Jeep, so I missed by one...

View attachment 16804
Picture: A new definition of FUBAR... (Start AFPh of US Turn 1).

von Marwitz
One of my all time favorite scenarios and I believe Pete's first officially published scenario.

NOTE: I don't believe there's been any change to the scenario when republished in Yanks 2.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
One of my all time favorite scenarios and I believe Pete's first officially published scenario.

NOTE: I don't believe there's been any change to the scenario when republished in Yanks 2.
Pete Shelling? One of the.Cleveland boys.😊

Uncle_Duke

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Last night, I played (and won!) my very first tournament game [ASL238 Audacity! --I had the French], as part of Alberta Assault 2021.

Thanks to David Goldman for putting up one heck of a tough fight and for being the most gracious, wonderful opponent a player could ask for.

Thanks also to @The Purist for organizing the whole affair!

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Just finished brushing up on BFP's article on slopes (CoS) alongside MMP's rulebook, so I can play LCP's Race to the Meuse using my LFT rat charts and BGD's sniper and FFE counters. God Bless all of you magnificent bastards for this Golden Age of ASL! 👍
You need a Mario dice tower, Battleschool dice, a Jackson movement coin and a money grabber LOS tool now too

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Last night, I played (and won!) my very first tournament game [ASL238 Audacity! --I had the French], as part of Alberta Assault 2021.

Thanks to David Goldman for putting up one heck of a tough fight and for being the most gracious, wonderful opponent a player could ask for.

Thanks also to @The Purist for organizing the whole affair!

I wonder how you pulled it off. ROAR has it pretty balanced at 82:76 pro German IIRC.

I am playing this same scenario via VASL currently, but my French are getting nowhere.

Incidentally, I saw the same scenario played via VASL twice recently (maybe due to that same tournament which you also took part in). Same thing there: The French couldn't get anywhere. While I was watching one of those games, I chatted with Magnus Rimvall who said that he had played it some time ago - with his French getting nowhere...

In all those games, the initial French force was taken out by the Germans in rather short order (there is nowhere to hide for the first German Turn). Then the 9-2 with 2x468, 2xLMG continued to paste everything which got close.

There has to be a way for the French though.

von Marwitz

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Finally got my copy of the For King and Country reprint, ready to replace my (litterally) decades-old West of Alamein counters. When I find the time to punch, clip and store the whole thing, at least.

BTW, I am a bit surprised by the selection of scenarios and mapboards to be included. All 20 scenarios pit the British vs the Germans, but not that many are playable with just the mapboards included in the latest edition of Beyond Valor and the new FKaC. Of course it's certainly not an easy combination to make right...

Uncle_Duke

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wonder how you pulled it off.
Now that Round 1 is complete, I can give you the rundown. My attack was based on three basic ideas:

1. Deploy, deploy, deploy
  2. Running the tanks through the mud isn't nearly as risky as it looks.
  3. The road is a deathtrap, and should be assumed to be mined.
Over the first few turns, I fought a holding action in the north, while pushing hard against Hill 534. Once the Stosstruppe Rieger forces had been dislodged from the hilltop, I shifted focus east and pushed my truck-borne troops up the road, now that it was no longer covered by fire.

In the process, I was able to transfer some forces to the northern flank and begin a hard push there. With so many half squads, it was pretty easy to draw fire and then move wherever I liked once the First Fire markers were down.

About this time, the H39s made it to the eastern end of Hill 534 (albeit after one bog), and started laying fire against positions in the village.

The endgame was all about creating as many melees as possible and hoping that at least some of them went in my favor. It took a bit longer than I'd have liked (Building L4 took FAR too long due to a localized counterattack, and I never did completely control N1), but in the last CC phase I captured my tenth building hex, and thus the win.

...With one melee yet unresolved.

@von Marwitz I hope that answers your question!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Now that Round 1 is complete, I can give you the rundown. My attack was based on three basic ideas:

1. Deploy, deploy, deploy
  2. Running the tanks through the mud isn't nearly as risky as it looks.
  3. The road is a deathtrap, and should be assumed to be mined.
Over the first few turns, I fought a holding action in the north, while pushing hard against Hill 534. Once the Stosstruppe Rieger forces had been dislodged from the hilltop, I shifted focus east and pushed my truck-borne troops up the road, now that it was no longer covered by fire.

In the process, I was able to transfer some forces to the northern flank and begin a hard push there. With so many half squads, it was pretty easy to draw fire and then move wherever I liked once the First Fire markers were down.

About this time, the H39s made it to the eastern end of Hill 534 (albeit after one bog), and started laying fire against positions in the village.

The endgame was all about creating as many melees as possible and hoping that at least some of them went in my favor. It took a bit longer than I'd have liked (Building L4 took FAR too long due to a localized counterattack, and I never did completely control N1), but in the last CC phase I captured my tenth building hex, and thus the win.

...With one melee yet unresolved.

@von Marwitz I hope that answers your question!
In my game the French Turn 4 is finished now. So far, I have 7 building hexes and there is an ongoing Melee among one of my 458s with a Concealed 7-0 (which did not attack). I have lost one tank to a CH of the ATG, the other one pulled out of LOS and will probably stay out of harm's way because of its CVP value.

With two French MPh's left, I will be a tricky thing. I need to move to the missing building hexes against opposition and overcome them in CC.

When done with my game, I'll post an AAR.

von Marwitz

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I wonder how you pulled it off. ROAR has it pretty balanced at 82:76 pro German IIRC.

I am playing this same scenario via VASL currently, but my French are getting nowhere.

Incidentally, I saw the same scenario played via VASL twice recently (maybe due to that same tournament which you also took part in). Same thing there: The French couldn't get anywhere. While I was watching one of those games, I chatted with Magnus Rimvall who said that he had played it some time ago - with his French getting nowhere...

In all those games, the initial French force was taken out by the Germans in rather short order (there is nowhere to hide for the first German Turn). Then the 9-2 with 2x468, 2xLMG continued to paste everything which got close.

There has to be a way for the French though.

von Marwitz
Fun scenario. Looked tough for the French at the outset, but I learned to my detriment as the German defender just how significant Alpine Hills (B10.211) can be.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Still progressing the renewal of my vehicle and gun counter tabs, listing all 5/8 counters to then put onto an excel spreadsheet like my older ones on Texas ASL download page. there are 2772 different types of vehicle , gun, boat and aircraft counters alone in the game so far!

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Well got the WWII counters done for all the vehicles , guns, boats and aircraft in the game a total of 2772 total of all types apart from BGD Wild bill, FW and the last three to four years of CH stuff. This shows which countries have the most of each type in the top three.

Vehicles-
1st Germans 360,
2nd Russians 226,
3rd SS 191.

Guns-
1st Axis Minor 77,
2nd Germans 73
3rd equal Russians and Finns with 45 each.

Boats-
Brits 16,
Yanks 15
Germans 12.

Aircraft-
Germans 56,
Yanks 42,
Russians 39,