5/8" Dummy Stack Movement, MP/MF Available?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Brought up in the Perry Sez Q+A thread, post #80. Basically the answer given in a Q+A is that a side that has no vehicles can trade it's 1/2" OB given Concealment Counters for 5/8" Concealment Counters and move them in a Dummy stack as if they were vehicles as long as out of LOS.

The purpose of this is to act as Sniper bait. Tuomo disagrees with this as do I. My disagreement stems from questioning how many MP this Dummy vehicle has since there are no vehicles in the OB that the Dummy stack could represent.

Not all those who posted disagreed with the Q+A answer.

In post #100 on that thread an example of how to use this tactic is given by von Marwitz and he applauds the out of the box thinking. At least I think he approves of it, I may have misunderstood.

Regardless I'd be interested in others opinions on this tactic.

Last edited:

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting theoretical problem, and I will defer to others on the actual rules.

That said, I don’t think I would choose to play against someone who did this unless forced to in a tournament setting. I suspect the game would be less than enjoyable and the time could be better spent elsewhere.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Not theoretical.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Interesting theoretical problem, and I will defer to others on the actual rules.

That said, I don’t think I would choose to play against someone who did this unless forced to in a tournament setting. I suspect the game would be less than enjoyable and the time could be better spent elsewhere.
Thanks for the input. I have no problem with the tactic of using Dummies as Sniper bait if the OB had a vehicle the Dummy stack could represent and uses the MP allowance of that vehicle.

I do have a problem with the tactic in von Marwitz's example where one turn the stack moves as a wheeled vehicle and the next turn as a tracked vehicle.

Last edited:

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Well, if a player can move a couple of 5/8" dummy counters across the board and not be in LOS within 16 hexes of a Good Order unit for a meaningful length of time, then hats off to him. He can spend his mental energy on that exercise while I concentrate on my own game. :)

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well, if a player can move a couple of 5/8" dummy counters across the board and not be in LOS within 16 hexes of a Good Order unit for a meaningful length of time, then hats off to him. He can spend his mental energy on that exercise while I concentrate on my own game. :)
If he gets that play, you ain’t concentrating on your own game :)

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
If you're relying on your sniper to win the game for you, you're probably doing things wrong.
Very true but I am still curious about the MP available. The only reference in the rules to it is moving the Dummy stack as if it were Leader. Does this limit the 5/8" Dummy stack to the movement available to a Leader?🤔

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the input. I have no problem with the tactic of using Dummies as Sniper bait if the OB had a vehicle the Dummy stack could represent and uses the MP allowance of that vehicle.

I do have a problem with the tactic in von Marwitz's example where one turn the stack moves as a wheeled vehicle and the next turn as a tracked vehicle.
I’m also OK with using some dummies as sniper bait. It’s an accepted part of the game alongside things like bypass freeze, etc. But I think I would lose my mind as my clever opponent spent his time calculating his imaginary vehicle moves. It wouldn’t be an enjoyable game. Kind of reminds me of an 8 hour game of Terraforming Mars I saw at winter offensive a few years back. They looked like they were having fun, but I was glad I wasn’t playing.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I’m also OK with using some dummies as sniper bait. It’s an accepted part of the game alongside things like bypass freeze, etc. But I think I would lose my mind as my clever opponent spent his time calculating his imaginary vehicle moves. It wouldn’t be an enjoyable game. Kind of reminds me of an 8 hour game of Terraforming Mars I saw at winter offensive a few years back. They looked like they were having fun, but I was glad I wasn’t playing.
And the chorus says Amen Brother! Thanks! 🤗🤗