Alberta Assault 3 06-07 March 2021

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
The 2021 Alberta Assault 3 is in the works (NB** - Indy is riding 'presidential' in the back of the limo this year).

As with previous tournaments it is planned to be held at the Mount Royal University Faculty Lounge in Calgary, Alberta the first weekend in March, 2021(06-07 March). The format will remain as before, Derek Cox’s Double One format with three rounds over the two days, with players divided into three groups based on experience (beginner, intermediate and experienced). All games will use the same scenario.

The emphasis remains ensuring players have an enjoyable experience rather than on the race to be number one.

As with previous tournaments "fog of war" reigns supreme. The scenario list will be kept secret until 30 minutes before the start of each round with a minor twist for the coming year. The scenario list will be whittled down to just six scenarios, not even the TD will know the actual scenario to be played until it is presented to the players.

This year’s theme will be “early war” with scenarios dated between 1937 and December 1941. With the myriad of scenarios available for this period feel free to PM me with a suggestion (smallish to medium size, please). Preferable ROAR/ASL Archive rating not worse than 55-45.

If you are in western Canada or the Pacific Northwest in the US of A feel free to drop in and join in. The exchange rate in Canada is favourable for foreign visitors at the moment. ;)

That Covid Business - if Covid is still a factor by March next year (a likely probability) we will likely go with a VASL tournament. The schedule will be stretched a bit.

Stay tuned.

Last edited:

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Good afternoon to all.

Just a quick update for the AA3 tournament next year.

As before we will be asking for a $20 (CDN) entry fee for the tournament.

If we have to go with VASL I am assuming a portion of the fees may need to be used for postage for the prizes we will have (bit of a budgeting calculation to be done there).

We'll have to see how that plays out and just how far we can distance ourselves from Covid 19 (venue availability linked with vaccine availability).

Scenario list (top secret) is about 50% complete. It's amazing how hard this actually is considering the wide array of offerings we have to choose from.

Stay tuned.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Good evening to all,

I spoke again with Indy (lightspeed) regarding the likelihood of being able to use the Mount Royal University faculty lounge by the end of February. With Covid still with us and vaccines not being widespread enough we are moving forward with a VASL version of the tournament.

The event will still be three rounds but they will be spread out over three weeks so players from different times zones can make arrangements to complete their games.

Round One - 22 to 28 February
Round Two - 01 to 07 March
Round Three - 08 to 14 March

The format remains the same, using Derek Cox’s Double One system. Players will be placed in groups of four based on experience (beginner, intermediate and experienced) and will play each player in their group in a round robin format.

All players will play the same blind scenario which will remain unknown (even by the TD) until the evening before each round is to begin.

We have had excellent response from producers of ASL merchandise and all fees will be used cover postage of prizes to the lucky recipients. With luck the prize table will be stocked well enough that all players will come away with a least something (a gift certificate, set of dice, or larger items such as a scenario packs). Contents of the prize table will be announced after the end of Round One.

Any remaining funds after postage is paid for will be donated to the Canadian Legion (armed forces veteran's organization).

Fee has been set at $20 Cdn (approx £12, $16 US, €13,... quite a deal) which can be paid via cheque, wire transfer (moneygram), bank draft, money order and in Canada via bank e-transfer.

Cheers.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Liking the VASL development, especially the ability to play over three weeks.
The emphasis is on an enjoyable gaming experience for the new players as well as the grognard, with less emphasis on where one finishes.

Note that this is not a condemnation of competitive play ;).

Last edited:

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Just a quick note to let interested parties know we have a copy of the original "Last Hurrah" (Module 6) still in the shrink wrap.

This module will be given away in a random draw open to all participants of the tournament.

Cheers.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Good morning. Last week I sent Paul (above) a quick note via PM.

To sign up just sent me a note via PM with name, email address and experience level. I'll then send you the surface address where you can send your fee.

Cheers.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
To sign up just sent me a note via PM with name, email address and experience level. I'll then send you the surface address where you can send your fee.

Cheers.
Thanks Gerry,

You may also want to consult this site: http://asl-ratings.org
Sam and Doug have done some yeoman work with Bruno's original concept.

Any way to send payment via bank transfer (or PayPal)? Or is snail mail the only option?

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Well,... here in Canada e-transfer are the quickest, safest manner,... and no fees like those thieves at PayPal charge (not a fan).

Wire transfers (via bank or Moneygram) work as well. Just PM me with the details and I'll make sure things are set at this end.

Finally, snail mail works as well. We have ample time before late Feb.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Good morning,

It's February already!! Times does fly by when you're having fun.

We have 12 players (3 to be confirmed), including six from the US.

As above, players will be grouped into three Round Robin groups for the upcoming festivities. Additional players are welcome but I will need to hold them in standby mode in order to form a fourth group or fill in if a player is a no show.

The prize table is well stocked and we hope to be able to offer a choice to each of the participants by the time the tournament wraps up in mid-March. Fingers crossed. I will post a 'thank you' recognizing the kind donors just before the starting whistle.

I've had a lot of requests for the contents of the prize table but I'll keep that under my vest for now. 😏 I'll spill the beans once we kick off on 22 Feb.

Cheers for now.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Good morning,

It's February already!! Times does fly by when you're having fun.

We have 12 players (3 to be confirmed), including six from the US.

As above, players will be grouped into three Round Robin groups for the upcoming festivities. Additional players are welcome but I will need to hold them in standby mode in order to form a fourth group or fill in if a player is a no show.

The prize table is well stocked and we hope to be able to offer a choice to each of the participants by the time the time the tournament wraps up in mid-March. Fingers crossed. I will post a 'thank you' recognizing the kind donors just before the starting whistle.

I've had a lot of requests for the contents of the prize table but I'll keep that under my vest for now. 😏 I'll spill the beans once we kick off on 22 Feb.

Cheers for now.
Best of luck with the event! Hope all goes well and I am sure all the participants will have a great time.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Good afternoon,

Here is the list of groups for the upcoming event (note I have not included last names,... to protect the innocent).

Edit: we now have a fourth group as posted below

Group 1
1 - Steve S
2 - Colin J
3 - Paul Ch
4 - Nate S

Group 2

1 - Bill S
2 - Michael W
3 - Paul S
4 - Brian W

Group 3

1 - Rob O
2 - Dave G
3 - Geoff W
4 - Andrew Y

Group 4

1 - Steffen K
2 - Chris D
3 - Brad H
4 - Kevin Y

In round 1 the match-ups will be 1 plays 4, 2 plays 3
In round 2 the match ups will be 1 plays 2, 3 plays 4
In round 3 the match ups will be 1 plays 3, 2 plays 4

NB** An email will be going out to players shortly with the above information but I will include email addresses so you may make contact.

The final details ( a couple of rules and such)

A note on scenarios - due to issues experienced with other VASL tournaments I will not be pulling the orders of battle for players. Making sure the correct units are used in the game is the responsibility of the players. If you forget your HMG or AT gun,... well...

• The IFT will be used.
  • PBeM will not be used
I will send out the scenario card and the VASL map (including the Turn Tracks, Weather, ECs, etc.) via email to players two days (Fri mornings) before each round starts (Sun mornings) so the defender can make his plans, set up and send the file to his opponent. Each round's duration remain one week. The scenarios are not large so I believe the one week limit is more than enough.

Round One: 21 Feb - 27 Feb (scenario card and map issued 19 Feb)

Round Two: 28 Feb - 06 Mar (scenario card and map issued 26 Feb)

Round Three: 07 Mar - 13 Mar (scenario card and map issued 05 Mar)

Cheers.

Last edited:

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
And they're off!!! Round One of the Alberta Assault 3 Tournament officially kicked off this morning.

For round one we have sixteen players in four groups battling it out over Scenario 238 from Croix de Guerre 2 (current ROAR 52% Ger:48% French).

Stay tuned for more updates as the round progresses.