ASLSK OOB Wishlist?

owenedwards

Reaction score
Country
ll
I've put together an ASLSK Counter Manifest and Scenario Database (nearly ready for public consumption if people want it), which has left me thinking: what gaps in the OOB do people want filling? Are there reasons some items can't be added to SK? (Double turrets come to mind, though who knows!)

So here's my wishlist - add yours!

French: Obviously. Only "major" OOB missing (sorry, I'm not counting Finns, and definitely not counting Swedes ;)). Cool tanks, multiple interesting campaigns (Saar 39, Norway and France 40, Exporter 41 on both sides, Torch 42 as Vichy and Tunisia as Allied.) Could have their own Platoon Movement rule for '40 AFVS, which could be ported to Russians in '41 as well - but not strictly required.

Allied Minors: 7TP would be my priority. Single-turret version for simplicity. And hey, maybe we need to get Horses for movement too ;). Belgium had some fun AFVs, too.

Axis Minors: Late War Hungarian AFVs - Turans etc. Perhaps, by the same logic, some Romanian AFVs. Basically, allowing Romanian/Hungarian action in Case Blue/Uranus and Hungary 1944!

Commonwealth: EP1 cleverly added Matildas, Comets, and a Churchill, but more Churchills and Cromwells would be great for late war. Obviously there's also the whole Desert OOB missing - as discussed in another thread here. Lee-Grants, Valentines and Cruisers (including early war Cruisers like the A10, which served at Calais) are a must-have!

US: Strange to say, given the US has appeared in 6/6 products with counters in the line, but there are still one or two interesting gaps - no Stuarts, for instance! So that'd be a must for PTO action.

The only other thing that comes to my mind is - are we lacking anything for the Nomonhan battles?

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Owen,
Good post. My perspective is from wanting to have greater counter choices for DYO scenarios. Especially the ETO, and especially the US. (Pretty narrow, I admit).
I therefore concur with your observations regarding the US OOB. The Stuart was an integral workhorse for the US in WW2 in every theater, so it would seem an obvious addition that would not require any special rules to incorporate. Also, the American counter mix in SK1-3, including EP1 and EP1 (2E), has only three 60mm light mortars total. The weapons platoon in a basic rifle company had three, and each platoon in an Airborne company had one (for a total of 9 per company).

I realize that in an effort to keep costs down, each Starter Kit was only meant to provide enough counters to play the included scenarios; not to supply the player with extraneous material to start exploring his own options. After all, SK players were supposed to eventually leave the kiddie pool and dive into the deep end of full ASL where we would have all the counters (not to mention rules:rolleyes:) we could ever wish for.

However, it is now 17 years since the release of SK1, and I don't think it's too controversial to posit that there seems to be a significant number of players perfectly happy to stay in the shallow end for now. Perhaps MMP will use future Expansion Packs to target this group and address some of the OOB gaps you have noted.

BTW, I'd be interested in seeing your SK Scenario Database if you have finished it.

csiemers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
However, it is now 17 years since the release of SK1, and I don't think it's too controversial to posit that there seems to be a significant number of players perfectly happy to stay in the shallow end for now. Perhaps MMP will use future Expansion Packs to target this group and address some of the OOB gaps you have noted.
I know I'm an odd duck, but as an "old hand" (started with Cross of Iron back in the early 80s) I sure like the simplicity and ease of understanding the SK rules. After a hiatus of a couple years and wanting to get back into playing recently, I reach for the SK rules first and played just any ol' scenario. When I came across a situation where SK didn't cover (say air power) for a scenario I wanted to play I'd then refer the the big rule book.
So though I have yet to punch the counters for the SK games, I find I still enjoy the rules.

So for me I've been in the deep end of the pool for many years but now stepping with a foot into the shallow end! 🆒