Electronic ASL Rulebook Now on Sale!!

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Incorporating all known errata as of August! Complete Chapter H! And it only took my old Macbook 80 seconds to search up the Sturmtiger (still in the Miscellaneous section).
The search function is terrific when you expand it to get a list of results rather than just jump from hit to hit*. I might end up using it more than the Index.

(Using Foxit PDF Reader - I assume Adobe can do this too.)

jomolungma

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, your vote trumps mine. ;) Hadn't started reading it yet. It might reduce duplication of reports if there was some public way to know what had already been reported, however.
I agree with this sentiment. I just sent an email regarding an issue with page H13, but I have no way of knowing if I'm the first or the 1,000th person to report that issue. I wouldn't want to inundate MMP with a redundant and repetitive report but, as a former developer, I know it is useful to find out whether the issue is isolated or pervasive. So email it is.

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Good idea, now of course you can also the pencil in your reader to highlight the EXC but this is time-consuming.
...and you lose it when you get the next update. I do this sometimes when trying to get the hang of a rule that reads like it was written by Sir Humphrey Appleby, but the other way round: I underline the rule only but not exceptions or unnecessary (to me) information, then just read the underlined bits and get the exceptions afterwards.

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
I find it helps the readability of the rules a little. If we could just get the exceptions in a different colour... :LOL:
Great idea: the EXCs in yellow, the EXs in brown, the rule number themselves in pink, the titles of the rule paragraphs in orange, words defined in the index could be cyan, the punctuation green, the important phrases magenta--just imagine how readable the eASLRB could be made to be!

. . . or ASLers could just remember that all cross references are hot spots and so get rid of the distracting mid-paragraph red altogether.

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Hyperlinks in red are a good choice.
No need to add other colour codes, IMO: this is a rulebook, not a quattro stagioni pizza.

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
Hyperlinks in red are a good choice.
But why call out the hyperlinks so brilliantly?

Hyperlinks have been in use since the mid-90s: they're not new. They don't need to be in brilliant red. If you want to call them out, why not use the industry-standard blue?

The ASL rulebook already has a lot of non-standard formatting: there are [italicized bracketed EXC asides], Capitalized Words, acronyms (PFPh, FG, LMG), symbols (vehicle-star, leadership triangle, "?"), cross-references (C2.2401), words in all-caps (ADJACENT, SMOKE, IN), letter-number combos (B8/X12, DR/dr, US#, +3, 27H6-H7). And sentences are long, with many clauses and sub-clauses, running on for many lines. And many words have a precise ASL-meaning (throw, advance, location). I like it, but there's no denying it's complicated to read. And now there's red ink on top of all that, and it highlights something immaterial to the sense of the paragraph.

Last edited:

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
I just bought the eASLRB and am glad it is now available. Thank you!

I noticed a frequent error in the red cross references: very often it's not just the rule reference that's in red, but many times also the closing ")"--see rule A2.9, A4.2, A4.3, A4.431, A4.44, A5.11, A7.353, A7.371 EX, etc. [Edit: unkind sentence deleted.] And sometimes the preceding period is colored, as in D7.11, line 3.

(I sent an email to easlrbsupport@multimanpublishing.com.)

Last edited:

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
An idea that could make the eASLRB even more useful: if a user could click on an abbreviation (FFNAM) or an Index-defined term (Scenario Defender, Passenger, Bounding Fire), and a pop-up gave him the definition for it--that'd be cool. (The capitalization would be enough of a cue, IMO: no new color or underlining would be needed.)

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can you put notes in the e-rulebook like you write notes in the margins of your paper print rulebook?

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
After a direct discussion with a friend, I withdraw my concerns. I think it is a fair price for what people are getting. -- jim
Jim, you have either been hacked or you got ROF/Multiple Hits on your post reply DR button

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
Can you put notes in the e-rulebook like you write notes in the margins of your paper print rulebook?
I just tried it on my computer and yes, you can make notes, you can highlight, you can draw . . . the problem, I fear, is that if MMP updates the eASLRB your notes will either be deleted or shifted.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
I just tried it on my computer and yes, you can make notes, you can highlight, you can draw . . . the problem, I fear, is that if MMP updates the eASLRB your notes will either be deleted or shifted.
pretty sure you’ll have to Save As the pdf to persist them anyway.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
...and you lose it when you get the next update.
I failed to take this into account, so a possibility to avoid losing your annotations would be a make a printout before getting the update, or to save successive versions of the eASLRB.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Jim, you have either been hacked or you got ROF/Multiple Hits on your post reply DR button
I had multiple entries I could either erase or say I withdraw my objections. I opted to do the later. -- jim