Chess Clocks in ASL

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I think it is pretty commonly agreed that chess clocks as a way to make slow players play faster is a non-starter.

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was taken to task to someone about using chess clocks when I said they aren't so useful in ASL> I got the impression they are commonly being used in tournaments in Australia.

I don't see a lot of threads on the subject, though 'chess clocks for ASL' search. The last comment in here from over 10 years ago. I couldn't find much more recent on Gamesquad, though there is more recent stuff on BGG.

Any recent news on ASL tournaments using chess clocks, FtF or VASL?
Not used in any of the US tournaments I've been to. Back in the '90s we went through a phase where we played using chess clocks and had a blast. It gets you to prioritize your thinking. The real problem is the people that most need to be sped up are the least likely to play using chess clocks...

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Not used in any of the US tournaments I've been to. Back in the '90s we went through a phase where we played using chess clocks and had a blast. It gets you to prioritize your thinking. The real problem is the people that most need to be sped up are the least likely to play using chess clocks...
Seems to be the consensus from my recent thread.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I actually think they benefit and would be more fun for quicker players. Too much stress on the slow players but a challenge for the faster ones. Exciting too no doubt. Loved speed chess bitd on High School chess team.

Speaking of which I can't tell you what it was like for some curly haired nerd walking around with a varsity letter for chess on his jacket! LMFAO!!🤣🤣😊 You would have thought the jocks would have harrassed us but they didn't. We kept winning matches!

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
I had a thread recently. Will pop it up.
much appreciated! Missed that thread apparently or it didn't come up in the search I made.

Thanks for this feedback; I did see some older threads where some people declared they would rather give up ASL than use a chess clock. Myself, I like the idea of the time pressure motivation.

In spite of low popularity, I think it would be a good idea for online VASL tournaments. There are a variety of interpretations on how to use virtual HIP to aid gameplay, beyond the original intent of basic rulebook HIP and notes. If people want to spend time on making HIP notes, objective points, ideal tank placements, etc. -- they can't be stopped, really, except by the clock forcing prioritization of doing that or playing the game.

Unless -- there were also a button to deactivate HIP other than for strict purposes. Probably less popular, even if it would tether in the VASL game in better emulation of the original.

The thing is, if VASL tournaments remain necessary due to Covid for some time, it might be worth considering getting a handle on it with a little more precision. I don't run any tournaments so I make this suggestion for TDs consideration. It might be a lot of work to add this stuff or some of it to VASL.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hands down, next to the IFT-IIFT threads, this is the dumbest most waste of time and effort thread I've seen in some time.:eek:🤕:sleep:
Duly noted is the kind, civil and generous feedback I've come to know from you and your fans of late :p

Maybe you can explain why it's a waste of time and effort? It's no effort to you to ignore it, for example, so just ignore it.

It's not as if chess clocks haven't come up before and if you've read, they have been used in the past. There are obviously good reasons for it, and some of the people beyond me have used them and didn't think it was dumb or a waste of effort.

By all means, carry on with your snoozing.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Hands down, next to the IFT-IIFT threads, this is the dumbest most waste of time and effort thread I've seen in some time.:eek:🤕:sleep:
Maybe you should have set up a chess clock, assigned yourself one minute and instantly stopped reading the thread when the time ran out. ;)

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Not to open a can of flamewar but at tournaments if one player wants to use the IIFT and his opponent the IFT how is the dilemma resolved?