Electronic ASL Rulebook Now on Sale!!

lt_steiner

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The default view seems to be full page view. Is it possible to change the default view to full width in order to avoid the need to zoom in every time we change section?

Scott_Blanton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I mean, based on how long the original product took, are you happy with the timeliness of the delivery? Does it fill you with confidence in the promise? -- jim
Just to share, this version has taken about 11-12 months. Other past attempts that were not able to be completed are not related to this one.

Scott_Blanton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The default view seems to be full page view. Is it possible to change the default view to full width in order to avoid the need to zoom in every time we change section?
I think that would be a setting in your pdf viewer.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
I think that would be a setting in your pdf viewer.
I was thinking the same thing and tried playing around. Following a link or bookmark seems to "force" Acrobat Reader (at least) into "Zoom to Page Level" mode.
This was in spite of having Fit Width as the Default Zoom (Preferences...Page Display) and even trying Always use Zoom Setting to Fit Width in the Accessibility preferences.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I was thinking the same thing and tried playing around. Following a link or bookmark seems to "force" Acrobat Reader (at least) into "Zoom to Page Level" mode.
This was in spite of having Fit Width as the Default Zoom (Preferences...Page Display) and even trying Always use Zoom Setting to Fit Width in the Accessibility preferences.
Same for me.

ColinJ

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'm not sure I understand. We have the rules hyperlinked for easy reference. Can you explain adding bullets?
I was thinking the same thing. Here are my thoughts on it. Rodger can jump in to explain/expand/disavow the following where/if necessary.

There are a lot of sections of the ASLRB that are long sentences with lots with clusters of or's/and's as part of the paragraph, e.g., residual fire power, hazardous movement, CX, wall advantage, etc.

As an example, I'll use 4.51 CX:

4.51 COUNTER EXHAUSTION (CX): CX units must add one to any labor task or attack DR they make or direct (+1 To Hit DR for ordnance; +1 to IFT DR for all others). CX units must add one to any inherent SW (ATMM, MOL, PF) or SMOKE Grenade Availability Check dr they make. CX units must also add one to any CC attack they make, and deduct one from any CC attack made against them. CX units must add one to their Search/Recovery dr (12.152; 4.44), and Ambush Status dr (11.4), and may not advance into Difficult Terrain (4.72). A unit’s CX counter is removed if the unit breaks; or in its next Player Turn as soon as it has completed all of its Prep Fire, or is designated as an Opportunity Firer, or moves (unless due to a Minimum Move or Deep Stream Entry it becomes CX again), or becomes TI, or at the conclusion of its next MPh; whichever comes first.

It would be easier to parse it if there were bullet points or a list. For example.

4.51 COUNTER EXHAUSTION (CX): CX units must add one to any labor task or attack DR they make or direct (+1 To Hit DR for ordnance; +1 to IFT DR for all others). CX units must add one to any inherent SW (ATMM, MOL, PF) or SMOKE Grenade Availability Check dr they make. CX units must also add one to any CC attack they make, and deduct one from any CC attack made against them. CX units must add one to their Search/Recovery dr (12.152; 4.44), and Ambush Status dr (11.4), and may not advance into Difficult Terrain (4.72). A unit’s CX counter is removed:
  • if the unit breaks; or
  • in its next Player Turn as soon as it:
    • has completed all of its Prep Fire, or
    • is designated as an Opportunity Firer, or
    • moves (unless due to a Minimum Move or Deep Stream Entry it becomes CX again), or
    • becomes TI, or
  • at the conclusion of its next MPh;
whichever comes first.

Parsing the paragraph with bullet points and sub-bullets clarifies how the parts go together and how to properly parse the subsections.

Colin

Scott_Blanton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I see your point now. I don't see that happening. What that would require is a complete reworking of the rules and then a complete layout of those reworked rules. Any time text is added or removed, you run the risk of having to redo the layout on one or more pages.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Re-formatting/layout the rules with e.g., bullets (like above) would be a major (IMO) undertaking, and such a things (as far as I know) was never on the table for the eASLRB.

Plus, one has to very, very careful not to unintentionally change the rule.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I have a question : how can one "Jump" to the Index or to another part of the rulebook, without using the hyperlinks?
I mean: when I have gone to a rules paragraph, how can I go back to the Index for an example (my pdf reader has no "back to preceding page" function, just "move to the immediate previous page in the document")?
It took me a bit of time to find that function in Acrobat.

heggieb

Reaction score
First name
Burnie
Country
llUnited States
Guys;
By accident I discovered that after you jump to a red part of the rulebook, you right mouse click and on the pull down menu then click Previous View and you are right back where you were..

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Same for me.
So I crossed the hall to talk to the professional and the Zoom level is embedded in each and every link (in the Actions tab [using Adobe tools]). There are 3rd party tools to do bulk edits of links. Seems like an odd oversight for Adobe, doubly so that the overrides don't work. /shrug

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Thank you Scott & all at MMP for making this possible and available via War Game Vault!

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
This is great news!

The cross-references being in red make them stand out a lot: the convention usually is blue (maybe for that reason).
I find it helps the readability of the rules a little. If we could just get the exceptions in a different colour... :LOL: