Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Robin,

In BCS unit HQs must be activated (there is a chance for a second activation) in order for its sub units to move. BCS uses a simplified but very effective supply system. Units must be within a certain range of an established 'divisional train', known as a stream. This train must then trace its path back to a supply source. If a supply train needs to move to stay in range it becomes a ghost train for a turn, which impacts the ability to activate (especially if the unit is not 'Fresh' or has low fatigue. If two divisional trains 'cross the streams' in the forward areas (use the same road), it can affect activation. Formations build up fatigue through supply issues (crossing the stream and ghosting a train), by being mixed together, by moving, fighting, all of which affect activation. If formations get too jumbled up it can cause chaos (supply) and thus bog an attacker down, even bring an attack sector to a stand still, thus the need to keep individual formations moving on their own axis of advance.

Eventually, formations will build up so much fatigue that they cannot properly activate and they will need to rest in order to bring down fatigue. Even while functional, a unit with higher levels of fatigue may only obtain a 'partial activation' which limits how far a formation's units can move and the effectiveness of its attacks.

BCS does not 'count factors' and then apply the results in odds tables. Instead, attacking and defending units compare combat effectiveness with terrain, type of attack, supporting units and then apply the +/- mods to a table where you hope to destroy strength points and/or force retreats.

BCS is not perfect but the latest rules updates make it a pretty slick game. Its preferable to SCS, which is too basic where supply is concerned. OCS has more accurate supply rules but because both it and SCS use odds ratios for combat results its leads to "factor counting".

Here is a screen shot from Last Blitzkrieg showing the German attack in the south of the Ardennes from Clervaux to Diekirch. You can see how formations are not all mixed up looking to create the perfect attack.

If anyone is interested, I have BbF and would be happy to run through the system with you.

And yes,... the games are on VASSAL.

View attachment 16377
Sounds very interesting. Logistics may not be appealing but very instructive.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Still don't know what OCS is.🤔🤔
Operational Combat Series

Way too much logistics detail for my taste. I am used to getting paid good money to do that shit and damned if I'm gonna do it for free now that I'm retired.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

Way too much logistics detail for my taste. I am used to getting paid good money to do that shit and damned if I'm gonna do it for free now that I'm retired.
Lol! Thanks. Enjoy your retirement.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

Wait a minute here... You're saying that you don't get paid for playing games like all the rest of us?!

von Marwitz

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Robin,

In BCS unit HQs must be activated (there is a chance for a second activation) in order for its sub units to move. BCS uses a simplified but very effective supply system. Units must be within a certain range of an established 'divisional train', known as a stream. This train must then trace its path back to a supply source. If a supply train needs to move to stay in range it becomes a ghost train for a turn, which impacts the ability to activate (especially if the unit is not 'Fresh' or has low fatigue. If two divisional trains 'cross the streams' in the forward areas (use the same road), it can affect activation. Formations build up fatigue through supply issues (crossing the stream and ghosting a train), by being mixed together, by moving, fighting, all of which affect activation. If formations get too jumbled up it can cause chaos (supply) and thus bog an attacker down, even bring an attack sector to a stand still, thus the need to keep individual formations moving on their own axis of advance.

Eventually, formations will build up so much fatigue that they cannot properly activate and they will need to rest in order to bring down fatigue. Even while functional, a unit with higher levels of fatigue may only obtain a 'partial activation' which limits how far a formation's units can move and the effectiveness of its attacks.
What is fun about that?

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Not enough to do logistics.

I believe I said "good money"?
Money
Get away
You get a good job with good pay and you're ok
Money
It's a gas
grab that cash in both hands and make a stash

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Surprised not to see TCS mentioned. The Tactical Combat Series is all historical maps, with platoon sized units. The rules system tries hard to get the player to adopt more realistic approaches to planning, command and control. Also I suspect an acquired taste, like many of the MMP/Gamers series.....

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Surprised not to see TCS mentioned. The Tactical Combat Series is all historical maps, with platoon sized units. The rules system tries hard to get the player to adopt more realistic approaches to planning, command and control. Also I suspect an acquired taste, like many of the MMP/Gamers series.....
I have Race for Bastogne on pre-order. :p

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
I'd love to play some OCS as an ASL in larger scope, but the sheer amount of space required for e.g. Case Blue puts me away.

Maybe in some distant future, when I'll afford having a large multiple-story house...

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen

Sorry to go off topic a bit here. I would love to have MMP take over the Europa series of games
and give them some TLC!! IMO a great series, that has been left to die :-(

Thanks
Joe

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Europa? Good God, NO! That system has more counters than our current mania. I saw an Europa game once at a L.A. convention, it took up
more tables than Sword & Fire: Manila (and I've only seen pictures of S & F on Gamesquad).