Too Much ASL, not enough space

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Comrades,

I'm rapidly approaching ASL overload as it relates to physical product. My game cabinet is packed. I'm thinking of just chunking all of my scenario books (which would give some room). I have empty boxes, magazines, and mounted boards in the attic.

I hate to through this away but I'm too busy to list it on eBay and deal with shipping, etc....

No locals want to take it off my hands (I'd give it away), but I'm having an issue letting this go. I did not think I was a hoarder, but when it comes to ASL I'm having a hard time letting go.

Please advise.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Best thing you caould do.
I've chucked most of my boxes, given away duplicate SK style boards and counter sets. You'll feel better for it.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
My space is overloaded too. There is ASL stuff everywhere.....

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Comrades,

I'm rapidly approaching ASL overload as it relates to physical product. My game cabinet is packed. I'm thinking of just chunking all of my scenario books (which would give some room). I have empty boxes, magazines, and mounted boards in the attic.

I hate to through this away but I'm too busy to list it on eBay and deal with shipping, etc....

No locals want to take it off my hands (I'd give it away), but I'm having an issue letting this go. I did not think I was a hoarder, but when it comes to ASL I'm having a hard time letting go.

Please advise.
If the boxes are empty put the magazines, boards or whatever in the boxes. That should free up some space. Boxes can always be flattened and used as wall art. Same for the boards. The boards can be on the wall representing your favorite scenarios.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Comrades,

Please advise.
If you have enough stuff for a 'starter kit style' set just box it up and take it to goodwill. They will put it on a shelf until some 'unlucky' individual purchases it. Once he opens the box, he will never know what hit him.

The rest; you cannot clean up and organize anything without throwing away something.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Comrades,

Please advise.

Don't let go.

If you already have a hard time of letting go now, it will not get better, it will get worse and you'll regret it.

Being a German, I can assure you that there is always the possibility to optimize. ;)

Empty boxes? I use them as storage containers for mounted boards and scenario packs.

With regard to 'scenario books': I assume you mean photocopies of scenarios. If you have electronic versions of the scenarios, you can get rid of the page protectors (reducing volume by roughly 66%), then either store them in empty game boxes or discard them, relying on the originals or your electronic versions.

Upright storage of magazines usually leaves some empty space in a shelf above and behind them. Instead, lay them flat and build stacks to eliminate the 'air'.

You'll be able to find more tricks that befit your personal situation.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
You can always rent a storage locker. You've alreay sunk a bunch of money into your kit so $20 a month is a small price to pay. If you toss the stuff down the road you'll probably regret it.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Please advise.
Buy a scanner. I bought this one. If you look, you might find a re-furbished one for a little less. Scan any paper you're reluctant to let go. Save it on CD, thumb-drive, external drive, etc. (I put all of mine in the cloud). Recycle your paper. The first one is hard. The rest are just statistics. You can thank me later. No other charges for the therapy. -- jim

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
If my previous advice wasn't enough, try this:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
This should be more soothing for you:

Whiskers1123

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Comrades,

Please advise.
Come on. How hard is it to put it in a box and put it in the attic. Why would anyone through it away!

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Calling the Doctor, Doctor Who please respond. Need a spare dimension immediately!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Come on. How hard is it to put it in a box and put it in the attic. Why would anyone through it away!
True but eventually you have to clean out the attic or leave it for someone else to do. I've been tossing VHS tapes, probably 300 to 400 over the last couple weeks. About 700 left to go. Sometimes you just need to toss stuff.
The difference is the tapes have most likely deteriorated, the ASL material still has value. The best thing would be to pass it along to some game club or similar organization.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
One last consideration: we are all getting older. When our time comes, you're leaving behind a mess for someone else to clean up. I promised my kids I wouldn't do that to them after I have watched other parents do it to their kids. In the end, it is actually quite liberating once you get past the initial shock. To quote Tyler Durden: the things you own end up owning you. -- jim

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Unless I am missing some factual data, there are not a lot of younger, newer players.
At least, not enough to catch up with the passing away of the "first generation".
So, a lot of ASL collections will either amass dust in basements or be trashed.
I can feel sorry that this wonderful game will progessively disappear from visibility.
Of course, the rare younger newcomers will find more and more gear on the second hand market, and that is all the best for them.
But indeed ASL is part of those aspects of life that are linked to a given generation (like stamp collecting and electric trains).