CBC article on Curt Schilling

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Top is a Marine to him subtly is best presentd as the D.I. breaking the news to one of his recruits that his mother had passed away. "All you with living mothers take one step forward...NOT SO FAST Johnson!"
No, I maybe slow but I did catch that he was trying to stir the conversation away from the topic. Someone else, from the Canadian ARMY <cough>, <cough> did not. :):)

I could see a D.I. breaking the news like that.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Freedom of Speech... but you do NOT have to agree.
I believe in Freedom, even when I do not like it.
Too many confuse freedom of speech with freedom from repercussion. Say what you want. Do what you want. Be what you want. But also expect to be judged for those actions.

WRT Freedom; freedom is defending to the death, the right of a individual to do, say, or be something you would spend a lifetime arguing against so long as the thing doesn't infringe on the right of others to do the same thing. Freedom isn't going to be easy. It's going to challenge what you think and what you believe. It is going to make your blood boil from time to time. -- jim

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I have no idea what this has to do with Curt Schilling, but I'll point out you are absolutely free to both "generate" your own ASL content and sell it for a profit, and to not subsidize MMP if you feel their pricing policies are in some way violating your sensibilities.
I thought that MMP was mainly Curt? As Jazz has kindly pointed out that MMP do not publish accounts it is impossible to tell how much money he has in the business.

His decision to make a profit out of his hobby might be a reflection of his personality?

MMP pricing policies do not violate my sensibilities. Other games companies (attempt to) make money. Although MMP appear on the pricy side? Perhaps as a result of "the proudly made in the USA" stamp they put on it?

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MMP pricing policies do not violate my sensibilities. Other games companies (attempt to) make money. Although MMP appear on the pricy side? Perhaps as a result of "the proudly made in the USA" stamp they put on it?
Start up your own business, produce your own ASL material, put a stamp of made from wherever you produce it from, and then you will see what the profit margins are. Perhaps it will allow you to be able to retire early but I doubt it.

thosmos

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Thomas
Country
llUnited States
Probably worth suggesting also that Wikipedia tends to lean more left than right, consistent with editorial biases of the other major mainstream media. So talking to someone on his podcast who happened to have white supremacist beliefs is reported as if it reflects on Schilling's own character and beliefs.

When Oprah does it, it's because she's edgy and brave, when Schilling does it, well obviously it's because he has to be a closet Nazi.
For the record in case some don’t know. Wikipedia is editable by anyone. So, it’s all about facts. So, if there are more people with computers that lean left, then this statement could be true. Otherwise...

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
For the record in case some don’t know. Wikipedia is editable by anyone. So, it’s all about facts.
Try editing an article about a transgender person and not putting their preferred pronouns in, and you will see just how "free" you are to edit it. Not saying it is wrong to have standards, just pointing out that editorial biases seem to line up with much of the mainstream media. Don't take my word for it, try it yourself. Wikipedia is in theory free, but it is so big that many editorial and moderation groups have formed, and if you look at the list of editing guidelines, it gets bigger all the time. So yes, anyone can edit, no, those edits won't be accepted by the community unless they follow the many guidelines.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Start up your own business, produce your own ASL material, put a stamp of made from wherever you produce it from, and then you will see what the profit margins are. Perhaps it will allow you to be able to retire early but I doubt it.
If Hasbro had decided to keep and develop ASL I seriously doubt that there would be the number and variety of modules that are now available from MMP.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
IMO, ASL was left for dead until Curt entered the picture. While I don't agree with some of what Curt says, I am grateful he took interest in ASL. -- jim
I am thankful to Curt saving ASL....and he did save it.

My reply was more a statement of opinion about present tense more than past tense.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
My reply was more a statement of opinion about present tense more than past tense.
I missed that context. I agree, I don't think Curt is much in the picture although, as you point out, none of us here know the inner workings. -- jim

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I missed that context. I agree, I don't think Curt is much in the picture although, as you point out, none of us here know the inner workings. -- jim
See, Jim is way more intelligent than I and he didn't catch Jazz's "subtle" context. :):)

This has more to say for Michael than me actually as I did catch the subtlety. Maybe his subtle messaging is like a dog whistle and you have to be on a low frequency to catch it.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
See, Jim is way more intelligent than I and he didn't catch Jazz's "subtle" context. :):)
Umm, have we met? You're talking about me, right? Perhaps you have me confused with some one who isn't a knuckle dragging Neanderthal? -- jim

thosmos

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Thomas
Country
llUnited States
Try editing an article about a transgender person and not putting their preferred pronouns in, and you will see just how "free" you are to edit it. Not saying it is wrong to have standards, just pointing out that editorial biases seem to line up with much of the mainstream media. Don't take my word for it, try it yourself. Wikipedia is in theory free, but it is so big that many editorial and moderation groups have formed, and if you look at the list of editing guidelines, it gets bigger all the time. So yes, anyone can edit, no, those edits won't be accepted by the community unless they follow the many guidelines.
This went from Baseball to Trans...