CBC article on Curt Schilling

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I would be interested to know how much money MMP makes and what their markup on the games is.

Anyone have access to a set of accounts please?
I believe they are as privately help company, and in consequence are not obligated to make that sort of information public. If I were them I would not publish it either.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Without commenting on any of Schilling's behaviour or comments, the basic fact for me is this:

He's being compared to Bonds and Clemens. Bonds and Clemens (a) both cheated the game via steroid use and (b) both allegedly committed other serious crimes, with fairly serious evidence in the public realm. Schilling is guilty of neither. He just has - in the view of some, not all! - obnoxious views and obnoxious ways of expressing them. Utterly different situation.
60 years ago, he would be in the HoF without question. I definitely think he should be in but he just can't seem to get out of his own way. This is not 60 years ago.

Bonds & Clemens have (had) zero chance to make it.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
(a very well-rated cult classic game, for what it's worth)
I didn't even know that they had finished the game. It does get good reviews.

It's a shame that he gambled on the company and lost. I am not 100% sure but I believe that he used his money to also save ASL but I could be mistaken. I do know that it was a group effort (MMP/ Backblast mag) and I am very glad that they did.

Paul S NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
FWIW my 2 cents. Curt had an amazing, spectacular baseball career, HOF or not. His personal involvement with MMP saved ASL at its critical moment, for which we all should be very thankful (along with the MMP guys who continue to steward the game system). Most entrepreneurial ventures fail; and usually a company's downfall turns pretty ugly. I'm not a fan of putting political party/philosphy over the constitution. I sat next to Curt for a couple games at one ASLOK (a year a busload of cheerleaders was in the parking lot). I found his banter loud and pretty obnoxious. He is also someone who seems very dedicated to his family and to charities fighting ALS.

I'd guess from my very limited understanding that Curt is like most of us, just his accomplishments and challenges are more public than our own. All I can say for sure is I'm happy to still play ASL

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
(a very well-rated cult classic game, for what it's worth)
I appreciate the review, short as it is, as I've not heard anything about it. It's a crowded field unfortunately, with Neverwinter Nights, Lord of the Rings Online, World of Warcraft, Dungeons and Dragons Online and many others to compete with - and the free to play model many of them use means, like ASL, there is a stream of new content for established titles designed to keep you paying for the new stuff and leaving little time for other games.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I believe they are as privately help company, and in consequence are not obligated to make that sort of information public. If I were them I would not publish it either.
Might be nice if they were non-profit. A lot of stuff (all of it?) is generated by users which MMP then print up.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Might be nice if they were non-profit. A lot of stuff (all of it?) is generated by users which MMP then print up.
I have no idea what this has to do with Curt Schilling, but I'll point out you are absolutely free to both "generate" your own ASL content and sell it for a profit, and to not subsidize MMP if you feel their pricing policies are in some way violating your sensibilities.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
That is between them and MMP. which is not the general public. There is no publicly traded component of their business that obligates them to publish their financial books.

More to the point, if they were formally a non-profit they would be obligated to publish their books.

You seem confused?

Last edited:

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Still seems more coherent than whoever wandered into this thread to talk about the Manila HASL.
Seems I'm too subtle for some.

Not something I am often accused of.

There have been comments on the MMP CSW Forum page about the potential impact of Curt's strident political statements on MMP's business. The conversation was quashed by moderation, which is their prerogative, but comments/observations were made. I personally know of at least 4 folks that are reconsidering purchasing decisions in light of his rhetoric.

Freedom to decide how one spends one's money is as enshrined as freedom to speak one's mind?

Last edited:

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Still seems more coherent than whoever wandered into this thread to talk about the Manila HASL.
I don't think he "wandered" in here. He was half-hardheartedly trying to change the subject because the thread conversation was not going to go any where.

Sorry, I was too late.