Armored Trains

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like it, but what about generic open top cars?

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
That IS the problem with white coloring.
With National center color, RR Cars could follow the normal AFV rules for Open/Closed Tops.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So stick with a white border and create a "neutral" car color, e.g., brick red, or something?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I like it, but what about generic open top cars?
That IS the problem with white coloring.
With National center color, RR Cars could follow the normal AFV rules for Open/Closed Tops.
I would simply put an underscore for 'oppen topped' RR cars under the letters/data in the upper left corner of the counter and an overscore for 'close topped' ones:

Easy to remember, too:
Either the stuff/lettering is On it = OT or the stuff/lettering is Covered by it = CT. The symbology would speak for itself.

von Marwitz

David Reinking

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My suggestion is for a black border and then the Nationality color on the inside. This allows using white for OT cars.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My suggestion is for a black border and then the Nationality color on the inside. This allows using white for OT cars.
But then you'd have to ensure that all the text and graphics were "inside" the border area.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Good point. As railroad cars, they would not have an independent movement allowance.
Not all of them would have none. Some German armored trains consisted of a number of armored individual cars which were all self driven by a diesel engine and could move independently.

So systemwise, it might be a good idea to be prepared to reflect such a possibility.

von Marwitz

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
National colors. Personally I don't like the look of generic counters. For horses and motorcycles it is OK because they are not usually in use for long. Not a fan of the combo, of some generic / semi-generic with some National colors mixed in either.

How many nationalities are we talking about here that will have armored train scenarios?

If the white border with national interior must be used the OT could still be designated in white by just having it on a portion of the RR car not the whole car.

Seth

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Please don't use two-tone counters. If trains don't need to be concealed (which it seems you don't think they do), then there is no functional point to it. And counter printing hasn't gotten reliable enough in terms of die-cutting matching printing. So two-tone counters often have really noticeable differences in the thickness of the edging from side to side that make them look like a dog's breakfast.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
If trains don't need to be concealed (which it seems you don't think they do), then there is no functional point to it.
I can imagine situations in which trains would be concealed - for example if Air Support is involved. So IMHO it does make sense to include Concealment counters for Trains if the counter designs of the RR cars make that necessary.

von Marwitz

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I would simply put an underscore for 'oppen topped' RR cars under the letters/data in the upper left corner of the counter and an overscore for 'close topped' ones:

View attachment 16130

Easy to remember, too:
Either the stuff/lettering is On it = OT or the stuff/lettering is Covered by it = CT. The symbology would speak for itself.

von Marwitz
This is equivalent to the way this same problem was solved for black Waffen SS vehicles, with the vehicle type symbol under the MPs printed in blue (OT) or grey (CT). No biggie I think as long as it's clear.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I always thought blue MP for open top was just an unnecessary deviation from the "standard." White open topped vehicle graphics look just fine on black counters.