BFP-33 Kunlunguan SSR2 and Chinese Setup Instructions

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
1. SSR2 states that Guns may set up Emplaced on board 25.

Q. Am I correct in thinking that this the same as saying that F.1A is NA? IOW, Guns may set up Emplaced on both boards (contrary to F.1A)?

2. The Chinese set up on boards 18 and/or v ≥ 4 hexes from a board 15/25 hex (half-hex).

Q. Am I correct in concluding that the board 18/v portion of a half-hex is ignored when determining the number of hexes from boards 15 and 25? IOW, the southernmost hexes on board 18 that the Chinese may set up in are as shown as green hexagons in the diagram below. Therefore, 18DD7 is not a valid setup hex, because it is counted as being only three hexes from board 25. Correct?

buser333

Reaction score
1. SSR2 states that Guns may set up Emplaced on board 25.

Q. Am I correct in thinking that this the same as saying that F.1A is NA? IOW, Guns may set up Emplaced on both boards (contrary to F.1A)?

2. The Chinese set up on boards 18 and/or v ≥ 4 hexes from a board 15/25 hex (half-hex).

Q. Am I correct in concluding that the board 18/v portion of a half-hex is ignored when determining the number of hexes from boards 15 and 25? IOW, the southernmost hexes on board 18 that the Chinese may set up in are as shown as green hexagons in the diagram below. Therefore, 18DD7 is not a valid setup hex, because it is counted as being only three hexes from board 25. Correct?

View attachment 16101
1) That would be how I would interpret it, yes.

2) The setup area you've defined looks correct.

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1) In relative terms correct, they can set up Emplaced on both boards. However, I don't think that F.1A would prevent a Gun from being Emplaced on board 15. Or am I missing something?

2) The half hexes of 15/25 are included as the "from" per the setup instructions. If you are asking if the 18/v half hexes are counted as an additional hex, then no, they are not.
Looks like you got to the right conclusion based on your example.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks for the confirmation Chas.

1) In relative terms correct, they can set up Emplaced on both boards. However, I don't think that F.1A would prevent a Gun from being Emplaced on board 15. Or am I missing something?
My opponent and I couldn't make sense of the SSR initially. Without F.1A as context, the SSR could have implied that Guns could not set up Emplaced on board 15. (It never occurred to us to think of board 25 as a desert board, as defined by Chapter F.) However, once the rationale for the SSR became apparent (as a result of a discussion with a more experienced player) it seemed clear that the SSR was effectively saying that F.1A was NA.

2) The half hexes of 15/25 are included as the "from" per the setup instructions. If you are asking if the 18/v half hexes are counted as an additional hex, then no, they are not.
No, that wasn't my question. I was looking instead for confirmation that the board 18 and v half-hexes that butt boards 25 and 15 are effectively treated as board 25 and 15 hexes for the purposes of the setup instructions.

My opponent interpreted the setup instructions differently, and felt that 18DD7 was within the Chinese setup area. To him, the reference to half-hexes was unclear. In his view, the four-hex distance included these "shared" border hexes, if that makes sense.

Last edited:

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A half hex of board 25 combined with a half hex of board 18 makes a single hex.