Manila HASL - Good news, Bad news

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
For all of those who are hesitant about playing on the large Manila HASL map, have no fear. I have another project to be released from BFP which is a mini-HASL depicting the fighting in the sports complex south of Manila. Map is about 24" x 24". Eight scenarios and a full CG too . Won't get into the release queue until late 2021 or early 2022. Been working on this one for about ten years so it is in good shape. Now you will be able to do combat in a baseball stadium, a basketball gym, a soccer field, and an Olympic Stadium.
Do you have a name for this please? I have an item named "Scenario Pack - Philippines Campaigns" in my UPCOMING PRODUCTS page.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Hey, what happened to our all-inclusive ASL fraternity? There is nothing too big. Some like large campaign games because they have the room and time to play them. There is nothing too small. Some like short, small scenarios they can play in a couple hours. I, for one, enjoy the diversity of the game. That means all types in my mind, and all types of Third Party Publishers that give us lots more options too.
Totally agree. Personally I would love to play the big CG. But at the moment do not have the space to set it up. My limit is 3 x 4. If I outlive my Mum then I will have the house to myself and will probably spread ASL out all over the place. Then there will be no limit to what I could do. But that is a slightly morbid thought.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey, what happened to our all-inclusive ASL fraternity? There is nothing too big. Some like large campaign games because they have the room and time to play them. There is nothing too small. Some like short, small scenarios they can play in a couple hours. I, for one, enjoy the diversity of the game. That means all types in my mind, and all types of Third Party Publishers that give us lots more options too.
I agree with the premise, however, in practicality there is a limit on what size mapboard any individual can play. On VASL, no limits, in person, limited to what you have to work with. For me that means roughly 4'x8', however, I would also say that 4' is about the max size you can effectively see and reach without major strain. That would allow for 4' x Z' as you could always be able to see/reach to the middle when standing.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Do you have a name for this please? I have an item named "Scenario Pack - Philippines Campaigns" in my UPCOMING PRODUCTS page.
Do not have a final title for it yet......just the working title. "Battle for the Manila Sports Complex". I'm not been clever enough to come up with a catchy title as of yet.

Last edited:

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree with the premise, however, in practicality there is a limit on what size mapboard any individual can play. On VASL, no limits, in person, limited to what you have to work with. For me that means roughly 4'x8', however, I would also say that 4' is about the max size you can effectively see and reach without major strain. That would allow for 4' x Z' as you could always be able to see/reach to the middle when standing.
Again......there are only two times you would actually set up the entire mapset. One -just to see what it looks like all assembled together so you can be impressed beyond imagination....and two, when you want to play Campaign Game #5. For the other four CG's and all of the scenarios you will only need to use from one to four of the mapsheets....which means at the maximum you would be playing on an area about six feet by 3 3/4 feet in size. Many of the scenarios use only two mapsheets, so figure about 3 x 3 1/2 or 6 x 2 (approx). When I was living in a small 600 sq. ft. apartment I was able to set up the entire map in an 8 x 11 bedroom. Tight fit? Yes. Playable? You betcha. Of course I was a lot more slender way back then too.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Do not have a final title for it yet......just the working title. "Battle for the Manila Sports Complex". I'm not been clever enough to come up with a catchy title as of yet.
It is called the "Battle of the Ballpark" yeah? What you are doing is probably bigger!

Futbol

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ahh yes The Yankees vs the Nippon Ham Fighters could not resist....

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My friend want to play the Manila campaign game. How many extra Yanks counter sheets will this campaign game require? He is going to buy a Yanks. And I have one plus, although I am short of 666s. Tim

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My friend want to play the Manila campaign game. How many extra Yanks counter sheets will this campaign game require? He is going to buy a Yanks. And I have one plus, although I am short of 666s. Tim
All you will need will be one copy of Yanks. The extra U.S. counters needed will come with the Manila HASL. You will also need one copy of either Code of Bushido or Rising Sun for the Japanese. The other needed counters will come with the Manila HASL.

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Just saw it go up on pre-order! I was number 10 of 950. Shipping was ridiculous, even just to Canada. I could have driven down picked it up, drove back, and still not paid as much in gas as USPS Priority is charging to get it to me.