Manila HASL - Good news, Bad news

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just curious, how do you reach the center of the board? My RB map fits nicely on a 3x4' table, that is twice as tall (at 85 vs 45 hexes) and almost three times as wide (2J (36) vs 4T (96) hexes) (if my math is correct). That's close to a 9x8' table.
And table space, as the map goes to hex 4T (as in TTTT) 85.
View attachment 15952
[

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tried to locate the photo I have of the Manila HASL map with three players seated around it from Consimworld Expo 2003. Sorry......need to better organize my pics on my PC. The map is about 6 feet by 5 feet in size. Reaching the center is relatively simple by standing up. The only time you would need to do so is if you plan on playing CG #5. It is the only one using all six map sheets. All the other CG's and all the scenarios use from one to four mapsheets.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Tried to locate the photo I have of the Manila HASL map with three players seated around it from Consimworld Expo 2003. Sorry......need to better organize my pics on my PC. The map is about 6 feet by 5 feet in size. Reaching the center is relatively simple by standing up. The only time you would need to do so is if you plan on playing CG #5. It is the only one using all six map sheets. All the other CG's and all the scenarios use from one to four mapsheets.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
View attachment 16083
Thanks Jackson!. Not my photo, but this works too. I think Brian Blad took this photo. I did finally find my photo late last night but could not figure out how to post it from my laptop to the forums.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm sorry guys, do we really need maps this big? Every CG seems to get bigger and bigger. I built a table extension for RO and it's not really big enough for Dinant... every time I turn around the maps get bigger and bigger. Does this CG suffer if it doesn't cover every square inch of the real battlefield?

The room I am using as my game room is only 10x9 or so (old kid bedroom) and you want me to put a 6x5 map in it? Probably not even though the HASL sounds great. This might be a turn off for me...

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Play some of the smaller CGs. There are four of them plus only one that uses the whole map.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The whole map is a 2x3 grid of smaller maps, each of which is 24" x 37". Couldn't have really done much to shrink it down by shrinking the hex sizes to standard geoboard size, IMO.

Reaching the center is relatively simple by standing up.
I think it's awesome that this module includes built-in cardio. Y'all need it!

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I'm sorry guys, do we really need maps this big? Every CG seems to get bigger and bigger. I built a table extension for RO and it's not really big enough for Dinant... every time I turn around the maps get bigger and bigger. Does this CG suffer if it doesn't cover every square inch of the real battlefield?

The room I am using as my game room is only 10x9 or so (old kid bedroom) and you want me to put a 6x5 map in it? Probably not even though the HASL sounds great. This might be a turn off for me...
ASL is not a 6x5 game.
Yes its too big..
Now the smaller versions of the game would be cool.
But the whole enchilada? No buena

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hey, what happened to our all-inclusive ASL fraternity? There is nothing too big. Some like large campaign games because they have the room and time to play them. There is nothing too small. Some like short, small scenarios they can play in a couple hours. I, for one, enjoy the diversity of the game. That means all types in my mind, and all types of Third Party Publishers that give us lots more options too.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For all of those who are hesitant about playing on the large Manila HASL map, have no fear. I have another project to be released from BFP which is a mini-HASL depicting the fighting in the sports complex south of Manila. Map is about 24" x 24". Eight scenarios and a full CG too . Won't get into the release queue until late 2021 or early 2022. Been working on this one for about ten years so it is in good shape. Now you will be able to do combat in a baseball stadium, a basketball gym, a soccer field, and an Olympic Stadium.