So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
CDN #20 The Black Devils of Anzio. Bill B had lost pretty bad as the Germans to TK44 and wanted to try it again

The Germans have sixteen first line squads, two MMG's, a few LMG's, three PzIV's, two Tigers, and six and a half turns to blast twelve 6-6-7 Canadian-American First Special Service Force troopers with three MMG's, four BAZ, a HMG, and four 60 MTR's out of a small VC area

There is some tough ground for the Germans to cover (Boards 33 & 44), lots of OG and the Grain as Vineyard (BOG). He got some good SMOKE but ran out pretty quick and the German attack faltered in the face of tremendous FSSF firepower

It was a fast playing fun scenario but it seems pretty tough on the Germans. I'd be willing to have a go as the Germans but I'm bidding FSSF at a tourney

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
ASL 11 - DEFIANCE ON HILL 30

I can see why this scenario is so popular. Edge of the seat stuff all the way. From early on it looked like the Germans had a mountain to climb, but the made slow but steady progress, at one point having control of two of the required four buildings, but were thrown out again by a charge of two berserk paratrooper leaders and squads. By Turn 9, it was clear that success was no longer possible, with too many counters in the casualty bin and the U.S. reinforcements homing in. The HMG and the MTR did well, with the MTR getting no less than three CHs against the U.S. foxholes on the hill. Similarly, the US MMG and MTR on the high ground provided some useful support but they were out-shot on the day by their German counterparts..

Final position:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I have finished two in the last day or so: I completely FT272 The Lock of Colmar. I won as the attacking US/Free French. I think out of the box, this is a little less forgiving for the DEFENDER and misplaying their setup can put them behind the 8-ball. I would have to play it once as the Defender to say for sure. I also completed SG1 Abrams' Charge as the Attacking American and won. I begin to see how some of the top players say this one is pro-American. The Shermans just have so many tools at their disposal. At the end of 5, I was on 90 CVP and that was before doubling all the prisoners and captured Guns. It didn't hurt one bit to get a couple of crews out from their dead tanks as the Americans are starved for Infantry. Lastly, I have set up to play BoF16 Saluting a General. I am super looking forward to playing this one. -- jim

Smedley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished AP149 Lions and Tin Men. Had some serious good fortune and came away with the apparent win as the Germans.
My 81mm mortar managed one smoke round before malfunctioning and then rolled a six on the repair attempt. This turned out to be my big break. The crew ran down the road and didn't draw too much fire. They jumped a full squad in CC and rolled snakes, creating a 8-1 leader! This gave me an extra personnel unit that tipped the scales when they exited the map.

Unfortunately, looking at the VC again, some of my units exited outside of the P2-P7 board edge.....always re-read the VC!

Rob

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just finished RO2 Second Step with Cpl Uhl as the Germans.

My defense was to give up Hall 8a and Hall 8. Pillboxes to put firelanes down R36 - AA41, T36-K22 with the MMG and HMG. Tunnels between the factories.

Everything has to go right for the Germans to win. Everything did not go right for Cpl Uhl. First sighting check on Stuka - boxcars. Plane recalled bombs and all. Second Stuka later drops its bomb. Hits - effect boxcars. Still a NMC for my guys which they shrug off. His rocket OBA did clear Hall 10 of good order units but he could not get enough troops in to take it in time. It was also meant to clear Hall 9 but strayed.

His last push on turn six and his average MC roll was 9.8. Everything broke.

I do not wish to take joy in someone else's misery but it is nice to see it happen to someone else rather than me :)

Really, really tough for the Germans...................

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I have finished FrF68 A Hasty Farewell two days ago.

It provides an interesting tactical situation paired with some special toys (FlaK-Vierling mounted on a M3A3(a) chassis anyone?).

Now, the thorough AAR is complete and to be found here.

For those who are attracted to playing it, a VASL file is available (created with VASL v6.6.1) on the ASL Scenario Archive website.

von Marwitz

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cross-posting two quick AARs from Boardgamegeek:

Smith and Weston, March 1944.
Another Burma scenario against Merrill's Marauders, this time the Japanese have to push through a defending American force and exit more VP off the far end of the map than the Americans do. The Japanese have two possible routes: an eastern one that goes through jungle the whole way (with a single path), or a western one that goes through jungle for about half a board before opening into a big stretch of open ground. By SSR, the Japanese must roughly split their force between the two approaches, and the Americans must defend pretty far forward.

I wasn't a huge fan of this scenario. It seemed like a PTO classic were most of the conflict is between the attacker and the terrain, and the defender is just trying to stay out of sight. The defender needs to do very little indeed to make it mathematically impossible for the Japanese to exit via the eastern path before the game ends. So the east is largely a sideshow in which the Japanese try to keep as many Americans from reinforcing the western side as possible.

Meanwhile, on the west, the Americans need to avoid fighting the Japanese so that they can retire intact to the open ground area where they stand a chance of actually hurting the Japanese. My brother didn't manage this well enough, and so lost.

I generally like the old-school style scenarios where there is a couple of turns of maneuvering before combat is actually joined, but this was too extreme a version of that, and besides, the terrain and VC meant that meaningful maneuver wasn't actually possible. So the first few turns and just "Japanese and Americans move down various paths", with only the occasional speedbump, which wasn't super thrilling.

Roadside Assistance, May 1944.
Roadside Assistance is a major triumph in scenario design from the Dispatches from the Bunker: to my knowledge, it is the only partisan scenario ever made that is fun!

A German halftrack has run out of gas in the sticks of Greece, and partisans are grouping in the nearby village to take them out. The Germans have put together a relief column consisting of a halftrack-mounted SS platoon and a handful of other, chromier halftracks, including the mortar one and the dual-side-flamethrowers one (possibly the coolest AFV in ASL). The relief column must fight their way into the village, gas up the stranded halftrack (by ending a turn stopped in its hex), and then hack their way out as increasingly dangerous Greek partisans move into the village from all sides.

I'm not sure that I would recommend this as tournament scenario, exactly, but it was one of the most flavorful ASL games I've ever played, and it's worth your time. The relief column took heavy casualties getting into the village, but managed to save their stranded comrades and get a move on, heading for the northwestern exit hex--the partisans gathered there to stop them, but at the last minute my column pulled a u-turn, shot back through the village, and escaped in a hail of fire via the southwestern exit hex by the skin of their teeth.

An ASL memory that will stick with me: I messed up the halftrack PP, so that one of the "rescued" halfsquads wasn't actually able to mount up--by the time I realized this, the halftrack that should have been his ride was already on its way out of the village. I didn't need that halfsquad for the VC, as it turned out, but I did feel a bit bad for those five poor bastards who now had to hoof it out of the village with a horde of angry Greeks on their heels, as all their comrades disappeared in a cloud of dust on the horizon. Considering they were part of an occupying SS police force, I am sure I shouldn't have felt bad for them, but such are the moral hazards of ASL.

FanaticTW

World Famous in Maine
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cross-posting two quick AARs from Boardgamegeek:

Smith and Weston, March 1944.
Another Burma scenario against Merrill's Marauders, this time the Japanese have to push through a defending American force and exit more VP off the far end of the map than the Americans do. The Japanese have two possible routes: an eastern one that goes through jungle the whole way (with a single path), or a western one that goes through jungle for about half a board before opening into a big stretch of open ground. By SSR, the Japanese must roughly split their force between the two approaches, and the Americans must defend pretty far forward.

I wasn't a huge fan of this scenario. It seemed like a PTO classic were most of the conflict is between the attacker and the terrain, and the defender is just trying to stay out of sight. The defender needs to do very little indeed to make it mathematically impossible for the Japanese to exit via the eastern path before the game ends. So the east is largely a sideshow in which the Japanese try to keep as many Americans from reinforcing the western side as possible.

Meanwhile, on the west, the Americans need to avoid fighting the Japanese so that they can retire intact to the open ground area where they stand a chance of actually hurting the Japanese. My brother didn't manage this well enough, and so lost.

I generally like the old-school style scenarios where there is a couple of turns of maneuvering before combat is actually joined, but this was too extreme a version of that, and besides, the terrain and VC meant that meaningful maneuver wasn't actually possible. So the first few turns and just "Japanese and Americans move down various paths", with only the occasional speedbump, which wasn't super thrilling.

Roadside Assistance, May 1944.
Roadside Assistance is a major triumph in scenario design from the Dispatches from the Bunker: to my knowledge, it is the only partisan scenario ever made that is fun!

A German halftrack has run out of gas in the sticks of Greece, and partisans are grouping in the nearby village to take them out. The Germans have put together a relief column consisting of a halftrack-mounted SS platoon and a handful of other, chromier halftracks, including the mortar one and the dual-side-flamethrowers one (possibly the coolest AFV in ASL). The relief column must fight their way into the village, gas up the stranded halftrack (by ending a turn stopped in its hex), and then hack their way out as increasingly dangerous Greek partisans move into the village from all sides.

I'm not sure that I would recommend this as tournament scenario, exactly, but it was one of the most flavorful ASL games I've ever played, and it's worth your time. The relief column took heavy casualties getting into the village, but managed to save their stranded comrades and get a move on, heading for the northwestern exit hex--the partisans gathered there to stop them, but at the last minute my column pulled a u-turn, shot back through the village, and escaped in a hail of fire via the southwestern exit hex by the skin of their teeth.

An ASL memory that will stick with me: I messed up the halftrack PP, so that one of the "rescued" halfsquads wasn't actually able to mount up--by the time I realized this, the halftrack that should have been his ride was already on its way out of the village. I didn't need that halfsquad for the VC, as it turned out, but I did feel a bit bad for those five poor bastards who now had to hoof it out of the village with a horde of angry Greeks on their heels, as all their comrades disappeared in a cloud of dust on the horizon. Considering they were part of an occupying SS police force, I am sure I shouldn't have felt bad for them, but such are the moral hazards of ASL.
Glad you liked It! I don’t think one of my designs has ever been called a ‘major triumph’

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Scenario 12 - Confusion Reigns

The scenario is 9 turns long, but this was wrapped up in 5. When I first read the VCs I thought aha, this one is like Fighting Withdrawal. Ooooh no it isn't! In Fighting Withdrawal, the defender can't win by just running away. In this scenario the defender could win by running away, but he's hobbled by the command control limitations, so the best that can be hoped for is to limp away enough squads to win. This suggested a nice simple approach for the Americans - inflict damage from the front while cutting them off in the rear; breaking squads then leaving them alone to be collected later. It worked like a charm, although to be fair, it's hard to see what the Germans could do except hope for good DRs. The von Holditz approach was to use the leaders to get squads moving to the rear, and forget about rallying or directing firefights. In the end the Americans won 19 VPs, and the Germans only managed to exit 2 squads.

Opening/Middlegame/Endgame screenshots:

16011 16010 16009

Smedley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finished my second scenario of the year today. An unpublished scenario from MMP for the first round of the Winter Offensive. My forces were victorious mostly, maybe entirely, because of the dicebot. A win is a win......

Rob

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Just completed J167 Hart Attack versus Roy Johanson as part of the Ersatz VASL League.

My British/American force did well, losing two of the superlative M3 Lee medium tanks, one to a 50* lt mor, while managing to badly damage the German infantry over the first three turns. The German tanks arrived and did their best to help but a sniper stunned one crew in short order. Unfortunately for Roy's Germans the allied attack in the south rolled over the German without loss, capturing a medium MG and a light mortar. The defence up north was more solid but once a Lee got in close and acquired, its 37, 75 and MGs broke main defence. Roy conceded once it became clear the the British would soon be capturing another MMG, an ATR, the DC and that he would be down to about 2.5 squads.

Dice seemed about equal but Roy's high DRs came at the worst moments for his defence.

Last edited:

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
My first game completed for 2021 was PBEM game of RB8 Fire on the Volga with Lauri Mattila. I played German. Lauri set up his Russians pretty evenly across the board. I chose to do heavy push south of the Gully, used the OBA to blind the heavy weapons (HMG and 82mm mortar) north of the gully and sent couple of squads and one 8-0 leader to tie up the Russians in the factory north of the gully.

On the first couple of moves I was struggling with a string of mines, but after I was clear of the mines I could use my superior numbers and I crushed the Russian opposition there. Smoke blinded the HMG nest and Lauri Malfed his 82 mortar. On turn 5 Russian reinforcements entered but were pinned against the map edge and German firepower cleared the way to exit.

After the game we agreed that Russian needs to have clear strongpoint south of the Gully. As the way to the buildings you can claim the victory from is longer in the area north of the Gully Russian can catch the German with reinforcements there if needed. For German the most obvious path to Victory is to push for the map edge south of the Gully.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Just completed J167 Hart Attack versus Roy Johanson as part of the Ersatz VASL League.

My British/American force did well, losing two of the superlative M3 Lee medium tanks, one to 50* lt mor, while managing to badly damage the German infantry over the first three turns. The German tanks arrived and did their best to help but a sniper stunned one crew in short order. Unfortunately for Roy's Germans the allied attack in the south rolled over the German without loss, capturing a medium MG and a light mortar. The defence up north was more solid but once a Lee got in close and acquired, its 37, 75 and MGs broke main defence. Roy conceded once it became clear the the British would soon be capturing another MMG, an ATR and the DC. and he would be down to about 2.5 squads.

Dice seemed about equal but Roy's high DRs came at the worst moment for his defence.
This is a good scenario! Played it a while ago.

von Marwitz

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My first game completed for 2021 was PBEM game of RB8 Fire on the Volga with Lauri Mattila. I played German. Lauri set up his Russians pretty evenly across the board. I chose to do heavy push south of the Gully, used the OBA to blind the heavy weapons (HMG and 82mm mortar) north of the gully and sent couple of squads and one 8-0 leader to tie up the Russians in the factory north of the gully.

On the first couple of moves I was struggling with a string of mines, but after I was clear of the mines I could use my superior numbers and I crushed the Russian opposition there. Smoke blinded the HMG nest and Lauri Malfed his 82 mortar. On turn 5 Russian reinforcements entered but were pinned against the map edge and German firepower cleared the way to exit.

After the game we agreed that Russian needs to have clear strongpoint south of the Gully. As the way to the buildings you can claim the victory from is longer in the area north of the Gully Russian can catch the German with reinforcements there if needed. For German the most obvious path to Victory is to push for the map edge south of the Gully.
Sounds like it was a much better game after the remake. In the original the Germans couldn't fire their MG's for fear of malf'ing them with the number available and the amount of their FP needed to win. The original soured me so much I don't think I'll ever play this one but nice to see the Germans are able to at least pull out a win now.

Smedley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Managed to complete my third scenario of the year. Urdaneta Ambush, MM67 from the Kansas City guys Full Rulebook ASL pack. This smallish scenario has the Americans trying to run a gauntlet of Japanese dug in tanks with Shermans and infantry. My crappy Type 97B tanks, set up HIP and dug in took out two of the three Shermans. A THH got the last one, securing the victory. Nice little scenario that features Panjis which are used to funnel the Americans into the ambush.

Kijug

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
Played BFP89, Relentless Pressure on Saturday. Russians taking back the town from the Germans and control all buildings. The scenario card After Action says, "The Soviets realized they could potentially impede the armored spearheads and took advantage of the situation by inserting additional Rifle Divisions into the line. On 7 July, the 213th Rifle Division, reinforced with the 201st Tank Brigade, maintained relentless pressure the entire day."

I'd have to say that was for sure! The Russians have a pile of stuff. However, the large grain field slows them down, so it's 6.5 turns. The Russians made it to town on turn five and most of the Germans were dead with one major, two-hex building remaining. On turn five the Germans receive two StuGs and a few squad for reinforcements to try and stave off the Russians in their final push to win--assuming the Russians aren't behind the German lines ready to cut off those reinforcements. Let's cut to the chase.

Last turn, Russian turn 6.5. The Germans have one, Good Order 9-1 leader remaining in the two-hex building on the ground floor. During the Russian Advance Phase, three Russian 4-4-7s and a leader advance into CC with the German leader...no ambush. Now for CC rolls...

Russians roll BOXCARS! Infiltration (A11.22)! Stop the press! Stop the CC! The Germans get to withdraw to the second floor and maintain building control...game over...Germans win! What a game this is! Whoo-hoo! We all laughed hard.

Wait...let's read A11.22 more closely:

11.22 INFILTRATION: Any Infantry unit(s) attacked by an Original 12 CC DR may withdraw from CC immediately thereafter, assuming it has not been eliminated by that 12 CC DR.

So...one German leader (1 FP) against 3x4-4-7s + leader (13FP) so the odds are 13-1. So the Russians need to roll ≤ 13 for affect. That means...a 12 kills the Germans and there is no Infiltration! The Russians win after all!

What a game this is! We all laughed hard.

Dang.... 🤣

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
@Kijug--so it looks like one squad made the difference in that final CC! Ha ha.

Compared to Kijug's 9-1 leader in the post above, my 9-1 fared a bit better in a rematch of FT223 Kings of Bollersdorf where 3 of 11 Russian T-34/85s and JS-IIs need to exit 3 vehicles across the width of three mapboards as one of the possible victory conditions. They have to get past a wooded area where the gaps are guarded by squads and panzerschreck-toting leaders. After running that gauntlet, by the middle of the game there will be four King Tigers in the way.

The 9-1 was helping guard the central gap. After a 458 placed a demo charge against the 9-1, the 9-1 burned a T-34 with the panzerschreck. The 9-1 then shrugged off the DC. The 458 then advanced into CC but the 9-1 won the ambush and withdrew towards another T-34 which it also burned in the Prep Fire phase. Last, it survived an 85L hit for 17 flat on the IIFT and on the morale check, rolled snakes for HOB, and on the result roll became a heroic leader.

Like our first game, it was a German win. We agreed the Russians need a bit of luck, and need to make a good decision on where to have the armor attempt their breakout into the King Tiger area. This can depend on how the German defense holds up because there are essentially four gaps to push through, or it can be by design if the infantry support can be committed effectively.

In our game, most of the T-34/85s tried to push through the center and it might have worked if they could have gotten past the 9-1 with panzerschrek, because by turn 5 of 6.5, three King Tigers were left: one immobilized, one with a MA malfunction, and one still fully functional (the fourth one had taken a shot in the hull flank). But they got (figuratively speaking) bogged down and couldn't get far past the woods.

Edit: played incorrectly, panzerschrecks cannot be used by lone non-heroic leaders!

Last edited:

william.stoppel

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
@Kijug--so it looks like one squad made the difference in that final CC! Ha ha.

Compared to Kijug's 9-1 leader in the post above, my 9-1 fared a bit better in a rematch of FT223 Kings of Bollersdorf where 3 of 11 Russian T-34/85s and JS-IIs need to exit 3 vehicles across the width of three mapboards as one of the possible victory conditions. They have to get past a wooded area where the gaps are guarded by squads and panzerschreck-toting leaders. After running that gauntlet, by the middle of the game there will be four King Tigers in the way.

The 9-1 was helping guard the central gap. After a 458 placed a demo charge against the 9-1, the 9-1 burned a T-34 with the panzerschreck. The 9-1 then shrugged off the DC. The 458 then advanced into CC but the 9-1 won the ambush and withdrew towards another T-34 which it also burned in the Prep Fire phase. Last, it survived an 85L hit for 17 flat on the IIFT and on the morale check, rolled snakes for HOB, and on the result roll became a heroic leader.

Like our first game, it was a German win. We agreed the Russians need a bit of luck, and need to make a good decision on where to have the armor attempt their breakout into the King Tiger area. This can depend on how the German defense holds up because there are essentially four gaps to push through, or it can be by design if the infantry support can be committed effectively.

In our game, most of the T-34/85s tried to push through the center and it might have worked if they could have gotten past the 9-1 with panzerschrek, because by turn 5 of 6.5, three King Tigers were left: one immobilized, one with a MA malfunction, and one still fully functional (the fourth one had taken a shot in the hull flank). But they got (figuratively speaking) bogged down and couldn't get far past the woods.
Was the 9-1 firing the Panzerschrek solo? Unless he was heroic I don’t think that is doable. No rulebook handy but I believe it takes two SMCs to use a PSK unlike the bazooka that can be used solo

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just finished playing RO3 Defenders of Stalingrad with Cpl Uhl. I was the Germans. I told Cpl Uhl that if I won as the Germans I would immediately go on Gamesquad and brag. So here I am.......

I had all the Germans apart from one half squad on the roof of Z21 in the West end of the factory. I deployed 4-6-7's to put bodies in the way of the Russian horde, remained concealed and hid my 9-2 kill stack in M23 / O23. Cpl Uhl had some bad CC rolls and in the end could only clear two hexes adjacent to my kill stack that had moved in the final turn to M22. He had to come adjacent, none of his prep fires had worked. A 40 FP down one was a five to clear one hex, 20FP flat was a four to clear the other for a German win.

Defenders of Stalingrad [RO3]German8Russian20

That method was the only way I could think of to survive the wave of 6-2-8's coming at you.

It was a win. I think it is fair to say it did not lead to an exciting game. In fact Cpl Uhl and I are giving up on the Red Factories scenarios and going to the Red Barricades scenarios. I have not played those and Cpl Uhl states they are far better.