Sugarloaf Hill Playtesting Underway!!!

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree with Carl, looks like the Marines better bring their SMOKE rounds, brutal terrain to cross, Vic.
From my earlier playings. The Marines use every smoke tool in their inventory, and its still rarely enough. The worst is the sheer inevitability of the loss of your Shermans. They die so damn easy in this terrain. So you even use that tool, placing the wrecks to give you some cover as well.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Try playing as the Japanese and crossing all of that ground. They virtually have no smoke. I didn't even get close. :)
Jim's Japanese got in a good stonk with an onboard artillery hit, but without any decent cover, they got gutted trying to take one flank. The counterattack is completely at the mercy of the knee mortars getting a WP or two in a critical location, scoring with the onboard Gun to hit the Marine dug in firebase hard, and then going for broke in a single charge to capture Marine high ground. If you make it, you can win. If not, the scenario is over in 2 game turns. Either way, its a heck of an all out do or die position when the Japanese counterattack.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You can also fire smoke into Caves I believe. Also there were scenarios where the Marines got use Smoke.

This module was a blast to play. Glad to see it getting published.
I have no idea if it will ever be published. That would be Chad's call, he is the designer (cVan on Gamesquad). And the call of any publisher that accepted it as a submission.

It is, in my opinion as a playtester and proofreader, ready for submission, and it deserves to see the light of day as a printed HASL. That call stil remains for Chad to make, however.

Rain can begin, but only at one point in the entire module is it raining at game start. Smoke and WP are therefore quite prevalent.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
g
Nice to see you on the forum again!
glad to see you back, also. When I went walking wounded, you were MIA for a bit around here.

:)

and I got that issue framed/ Looks nice in the matte open to the Series Replay with Fish's "goldfish" and your siggie. It makes perfect wall art for ASL play

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
g

glad to see you back, also. When I went walking wounded, you were MIA for a bit around here.

and I got that issue framed/ Looks nice in the matte open to the Series Replay with Fish's "goldfish" and your siggie. It makes perfect wall art for ASL play

Thanks! Nice to know it's found a good home.???

wlee123

Reaction score
First name
Woody
Country
llUnited States
Happy New Year! Any updates on Sugarloaf? I'm hoping that it is still moving along the publishing path. - Cheers!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Happy New Year! Any updates on Sugarloaf? I'm hoping that it is still moving along the publishing path. - Cheers!
Rumor has it that the efforts have been thrown back when Sugarloaf material was burned recently in a wintery Feuerzangenbowle (mulled wine with a rum-soaked sugarloaf lit above it). ;)

If enough rum is used to give this enough 'punch' in combination with the sugar, a couple of pints will knock any group of playtesters off their feet and render them TI.

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Rumor has it that the efforts have been thrown back when Sugarloaf material was burned recently in a wintery Feuerzangenbowle (mulled wine with a rum-soaked sugarloaf lit above it). ;)

View attachment 16006

If enough rum is used to give this enough 'punch' in combination with the sugar, a couple of pints will knock any group of playtesters off their feet and render them TI.

von Marwitz

Looks yummy! Quite like rum.😋😋

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The sun is always over the yardarm SOMEWHERE in the world ...

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks yummy! Quite like rum.😋😋
And it's why Joseph Daniels introduced a cup of coffee (cup-o-Joe) to the Navy and did away with the rum ration. Daniels was the SECNAV (1912-1920) under Pres. Woodrow Wilson and an ardent prohibitionist. Roundly disliked by most Navy personnel they derisively used the phase "Cup-o-Joe" in their toast to the SECNAV. As an aside, it was often said that Daniels ran the office while his undersecretary, F.D.R., ran the Navy.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
And it's why Joseph Daniels introduced a cup of coffee (cup-o-Joe) to the Navy and did away with the rum ration. Daniels was the SECNAV (1912-1920) under Pres. Woodrow Wilson and an ardent prohibitionist. Roundly disliked by most Navy personnel they derisively used the phase "Cup-o-Joe" in their toast to the SECNAV. As an aside, it was often said that Daniels ran the office while his undersecretary, F.D.R., ran the Navy.
In the Royal Navy, the tot of rum/grog was abolished as late as 1970. It took them until then to have 'enough concerns that regular intakes of alcohol would lead to unsteady hands when working machinery'. Sherlok Holmes would have remarked: "'Splendidly fathomed, Watson!"

Then again, I think it took the British to formally declare the mounted lance obsolete until 1946...

If this weren't enough, the British had this dude John Malcolm Thorpe Fleming Churchill, who would probably have fiercely insisted that he is Scottish known for his trademark of a Scottish broadsword slung around his waist, a longbow and arrows around his neck and his bagpipes under his arm who served in WW2 and allegedly shot a German with his longbow.

However, we have to give it to the Americans, who outdid him: It was John James Rambo, who as late as after 1979 shot down a Russian attack helicopter with bow and arrow in Afghanistan.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the Royal Navy, the tot of rum/grog was abolished as late as 1970. It took them until then to have 'enough concerns that regular intakes of alcohol would lead to unsteady hands when working machinery'. Sherlok Holmes would have remarked: "'Splendidly fathomed, Watson!"

Then again, I think it took the British to formally declare the mounted lance obsolete until 1946...

If this weren't enough, the British had this dude John Malcolm Thorpe Fleming Churchill, who would probably have fiercely insisted that he is Scottish known for his trademark of a Scottish broadsword slung around his waist, a longbow and arrows around his neck and his bagpipes under his arm who served in WW2 and allegedly shot a German with his longbow.

However, we have to give it to the Americans, who outdid him: It was John James Rambo, who as late as after 1979 shot down a Russian attack helicopter with bow and arrow in Afghanistan.

von Marwitz
Least we forget, Rambo also drove and and fired the main gun of a T-72(?) on the move by himself. BTW I heard about the Brit in WW-II as well as COL Frost that seemingly wanted to bash about with an umbrella.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And don't forget Jack Churchill:

In July 1943, as commanding officer, he led 2 Commando from their landing site at Catania in Sicily with his trademark Scottish broadsword slung around his waist, a longbow and arrows around his neck and his bagpipes under his arm,[18] which he also did in the landings at Salerno.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
And don't forget Jack Churchill:

In July 1943, as commanding officer, he led 2 Commando from their landing site at Catania in Sicily with his trademark Scottish broadsword slung around his waist, a longbow and arrows around his neck and his bagpipes under his arm,[18] which he also did in the landings at Salerno.

That is the very John Malcolm Thorpe Fleming Churchill I mentioned.

von Marwitz