ASL Bell Tolls

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Christian Koppmeyer. Founder of GRENADIER tournament and for a long time in the center of the German ASL community.

It was him against whom I played my very first FtF game when he, not knowing me, invited me for a week-end to his home where he met with some others for some days of ASL. I believe it was during that week-end in 1997, when he came up with the idea to organize an ASL tournament in Germany. In 1998, the first GRENADIER was held.

von Marwitz

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm thinking maybe this should be a sticky thread. What I'm hoping is people will post names of ASL players who have passed over the years. Please add names that do not appear in previous posts.

I'll start off with a friend who I've played many times when I lived in SoCal: Cloyde Angell, RIP
Great post. But I get this phrase popping in my head: "...it tolls for thee."

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I should also mention Gord Reid

I never knew him, but had brief contact with him via an ASL "secret Santa", which IIRC was in December 2006, so shortly after we exchanged gifts (it wasn't so secret after all) he passed on. The 1st edition of my scenario design book had this dedication:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I should also mention Gord Reid

I never knew him, but had brief contact with him via an ASL "secret Santa", which IIRC was in December 2006, so shortly after we exchanged gifts (it wasn't so secret after all) he passed on. The 1st edition of my scenario design book had this dedication:

View attachment 15953
Gord came to some of the early Oktoberfests before he could drive. When he got his driver's license he wanted to drive to just about every ASL event in the U.S. with Fish. What a great guy.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Uwe Besch, deceased in 2020. Great ASLer, regular GRENADIER participant, always willing to help out where needed, especially teaching ASL/ SK beginners.
I'm grateful I got to meet Uwe, he was a really nice guy, sorry that he's gone

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Derek Spurlock
I never met him personally, but conversed with him many times during and after his time at MMP. Playtested SK3 with him, and he taught me a few good moves.
Miss our chats, Derek. RIP

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Derek Spurlock
I never met him personally, but conversed with him many times during and after his time at MMP. Playtested SK3 with him, and he taught a few good moves.
Miss our chats, Derek. RIP
He was kind enough to send me some photos he took of the old Avalon Hill building on Harford Road in Baltimore - the famous address which was on all their mail-in reply forms. Photos I still have and am still grateful for.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Fred Ingram

I never met him personally, nor have I been in personal contact with him. He used to be active in this forum now and then.
When I was looking at the player ratings of the ASL Scenario Website, I was impressed by the number of playings he had logged there - more than 800!

I think this is still the largest number of games logged in that list.

von Marwitz

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
He was kind enough to send me some photos he took of the old Avalon Hill building on Harford Road in Baltimore - the famous address which was on all their mail-in reply forms. Photos I still have and am still grateful for.

View attachment 16060
Wow, that's where the magic happened. It's like my Disney's Magic Kingdom.