SSR vs A7.55 Mandatory FG

SSlunt

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Playing FT 100 Hungarian and Germans vs Russians

The SSR states that the Hungarians and Germans may not form a FG
What happens when the two are stacked together and want to fire at the same unit?

Can they both make separate attacks against the same target violating A7.5
Are the forced to choose to fire at separate targets?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Playing FT 100 Hungarian and Germans vs Russians

The SSR states that the Hungarians and Germans may not form a FG
What happens when the two are stacked together and want to fire at the same unit?

Can they both make separate attacks against the same target violating A7.5
Are the forced to choose to fire at separate targets?
It has always been my understanding that they may fire at the same unit since A7.5 is invalidated simply by disallowing multi-national FGs even tough they occupy the same Location.

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hmm...good question Steve,

A7.55 deals specifically with the case of units in the same location. The SSR seems to override A7.5
and A7.55.

That, to me, seems to indicate that they cannot combine their firepower at the same target. Do they
have to fire at separate targets? Or are they permitted to fire separately at the same target?

I think it's worth a Q to LFT.

Just my 2 cents.

indy

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I would expect they could not FG and as a result one would be unable to fire. It has the effect of discouraging stacking and penalizing it if you end up stacked.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I would expect they could not FG and as a result one would be unable to fire. It has the effect of discouraging stacking and penalizing it if you end up stacked.
It doesn't say you lose the FP of the other unit.
Ammo shortage allows this same action by the SAME unit with a SW.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It doesn't say you lose the FP of the other unit.
Ammo shortage allows this same action by the SAME unit with a SW.
If you have two units stacked and they are not permitted to FG by SSR and mandatory FG applies, I think that would mean they could not both fire on the same target. I may well be wrong in that the SSR could be read to say mandatory FG rules do not apply either.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I would allow that they fire at the same target, one after the other. I can hardly imagine that the scenario designer had different intentions.
I agree.
A similar (not identical, so I am speculating) situation could be compared with that one : a non halftrack vehicle in the same Location as infantry may fire its MG vs the same target as the infantry, in a distinct attack, without transgressing the Mandatory FG rule.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I agree with this. -- jim

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It depends.

...if the SS are represented by black or blue counters.

In the latter case, the Germans would blend in with their Hungarian allies and no one would be the wiser. :sneaky:

But given that this is a Holstein design, it's black livery, as per the artwork on the scenario card. Then there is the SSR, which clearly prohibits multi-national FG, while offering no exceptions for Kaffeeklatsch, usw.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
If you have two units stacked and they are not permitted to FG by SSR and mandatory FG applies, I think that would mean they could not both fire on the same target. I may well be wrong in that the SSR could be read to say mandatory FG rules do not apply either.
A mandatory FG is a FG, n'est pas?

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I think I misread your entry.
"Unable to fire" meaning at the same unit in a FG? It just unable to fire

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I think I misread your entry.
"Unable to fire" meaning at the same unit in a FG? It just unable to fire
German squad and Hungarian squad stacked. Wish to fire at a Russian squad so mandatory FG applies....but! by SSR, they are unable to FG so they cannot fire together so one or other may fire. The other is free to fire at othervtargets but they cannot fire together.
Note The SSR says they may not firegroups, not tgat firegroups restrictions do not apply.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
German squad and Hungarian squad stacked. Wish to fire at a Russian squad so mandatory FG applies....but! by SSR, they are unable to FG so they cannot fire together so one or other may fire. The other is free to fire at othervtargets but they cannot fire together.
Note The SSR says they may not firegroups, not tgat firegroups restrictions do not apply.
They can fire at the same target, just not in a FG.
A stack of Berserk units can do the same thing.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
They can fire at the same target, just not in a FG.
A stack of Berserk units can do the same thing.
Interesting point re berserkers. However, provided neither German nor Hungarian unit is berserk, I'd still argue that A7.55 prohibits firing at the same target during the same phase [EXC: on a separate MF/MP expenditure] as a consequence of the SSR, which prohibits multi-national FG. IOW, there is a workaround during DFF that allows two nationalities in the same Location to fire at the same enemy unit, just not on the same MF/MP expenditure.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
How exactly is the SSR written? It does not sound like it specifically "overrides" the Manadatory FG rules.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Ok. It does not override the Mandatory FG rules, and I don't think it should either.

During Defensive First Fire it could actually be a benefit; e.g., two 4FP, -2 attacks are often preferable to on 8FP -2 attack, and this SSR does not strike me as intended to give any benefits. The problem with FPF still remains though - could have been an exception for that.