Official HASLs & CGs in the works

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
How'd you get past Perry?
I silently advanced in past several platoons of American tourists talking loudly to each other, chewing gum, and their stare locked to their smartphones at the same time, while I was wearing a Caravaggio with a no less finely crafted picture frame squarely atop my head.

So to say I was Concealed in Concealment Terrain. Perry never stood a chance...

von Marwitz

Last edited:

jmpalmier

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Jean-Marc
Country
llUnited States
Well yes and no. This module is strictly about the fighting at St Mere Eglise Hill 20 and Nueville au Plain. la Fiere is "down the street" from these maps. I have the map drawn and the module designed for la Fiere but it isn't in this module. The intention is that is a a separate module (as is the fighting for Chef du Pont and Hill 30 which is a third module maps drawn and designed already also). But I haven't given la Fiere any playtesting or development love yet. I got sidetracked by Mokra, and Marco Polo bridge, and another SK Expansion Pack, Winter Offensive packs and a few other odds and ends.
The La Fière bridge area was already covered in WO Bonus Pack #4 wasn't it? Mapboard 66 with overlay 7 is basically an HASL map of that location.

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So one of the things the module allows you to explore is the importance of Vandervoort vs the importance of Krause. Both were true leaders but Vandervoort got a lot of good press (he certainly deserved it) while Krause didn't get the press (and he probably deserved some press also). Krause's mission was to take St Mere Eglise and hold it. Vandervoort was directed towards Neuville au Plain but was diverted back to St Mere by orders. Of course Vandy then made the important decision to send Turner's platoon on towards NaP which is credited as one of the most important American small unit decisions of the war. Krause fought off the Georgian's (who I think turned in a surprisingly good 24 hour performance) before Vandervoort reinforced and Krause was wounded three times (some relatively minor) before reporting for medical aid. Vandervoort fought off the much stronger northern attack. Anyway one of the CG focuses on Krause and one on Vandy and then the third (bigger one) has them both.
Speaking of Vandervoot, In my dim and distant memory I vaguely recall reading that this historical incident is the reason for the game rule allowing two SMC to protage another SMC.

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From Consimworld:

A quick note that Charlie Kibler (yay!) has begun work on the Rotterdam HASL map. Don't have any more details to add at this time, but work is progressing!

This will be an early war HASL set in Rotterdam in May 1940. Mainly infantry vs infantry in an urban setting. Germans will have Stukas, paratroops, infantry, with few support weapons (mortars, a few light field guns, combat engineers). There are rules for the famous German waterplane landing forces. The Dutch will get marines, regular infantry and depot forces, with some OBA, mortars and a couple of armored cars, with rules to cover the intervention of light Dutch warships (gun-boat, motor torpedo boat, mine sweeper).

Rotterdam news ConsimWorld

PTY

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
[this looks very cool

QUOTE="fenyan, post: 2044418, member: 5374"]
From Consimworld:

A quick note that Charlie Kibler (yay!) has begun work on the Rotterdam HASL map. Don't have any more details to add at this time, but work is progressing!

This will be an early war HASL set in Rotterdam in May 1940. Mainly infantry vs infantry in an urban setting. Germans will have Stukas, paratroops, infantry, with few support weapons (mortars, a few light field guns, combat engineers). There are rules for the famous German waterplane landing forces. The Dutch will get marines, regular infantry and depot forces, with some OBA, mortars and a couple of armored cars, with rules to cover the intervention of light Dutch warships (gun-boat, motor torpedo boat, mine sweeper).

[/QUOTE]

David Reinking

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am looking forward to this one, too. It will be interesting to see how the Dutch Marines are portrayed— ie. Firepower-Range- Morale and Broken Morale. Perhaps 4-5-8{8} with Assault Fire?

Nineteen Kilo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From Consimworld:

I gave up on HASL campaign games after buying KGP1 & 2 literally decades ago. They're just not practical for me - too much time consumed, have to be left up, opponents not into it, etc. But this one speaks to me; if it has a large scenario that uses the entire map I'm going to have to break down and get it.

Good grief, more of my money spoken for...

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I gave up on HASL campaign games after buying KGP1 & 2 literally decades ago. They're just not practical for me - too much time consumed, have to be left up, opponents not into it, etc. But this one speaks to me; if it has a large scenario that uses the entire map I'm going to have to break down and get it.
Agree but I tell you VASL makes CG's more practical and enjoyable.

Jeff Waldon

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States

Many of the scenarios are really interesting.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I’m passing on this one. You can sell it to me for 200% profit when I’ve lost my chance and I suffer non-buyers remorse. So rest easy...go ahead and buy it 😀

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hmmm, an overlay that was a recreation of a historical place. I like that idea a lot.
I am thinking of doing something like that for this battle:

Battle of Ka-san - Wikipedia

Notice the rich vegetation on one side and sparse on the other?

(I tried to use board 9 for this scenario due to the hilltop building , but the attacker just gets slaughtered and defender rarely moves. Not much fun either way. )

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am thinking of doing something like that for this battle:

Battle of Ka-san - Wikipedia

Notice the rich vegetation on one side and sparse on the other?

(I tried to use board 9 for this scenario due to the hilltop building , but the attacker just gets slaughtered and defender rarely moves. Not much fun either way. )
Yeah, finding fluidity on both sides of the ball is a challenge.