What is the RESULT?

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
THE BROKEN UNIT CHOOSES NOT TO LOW CRAWL.
THE PIC IS the ENTIRE GAME MAP

Where is the Broken unit's designated destination Location?
Can he make it there?

IF not, what is the status of the unit?
(For those that don't know how to determine LOS, watch my Geometry of ASL videos) P6 is IN LOS to the broken unit's location and V9 is not in LOS during the unit's initial rout move.

What difference does his path to the destination make?

Last edited:

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
U8 seems to be the nearest destination and it can't be ignored. T6, T7, U8 for 4 MF should be possible with interdiction in T6 and T7.
Making the initial move to U6 (planning to go U7, U8) is also legal, I think, but in U6, V9 is in LOS and the broken unit can't rout further. No idea what happens then.

lt_steiner

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The broken unit may rout to U8 via T6 and T7 with interdiction in T6 and T7.
It may also rout to U8 via U6, but then has to stop in U6 suffering interdiction from V9 (if there is LOS between U6 and V9).
[Edit]As Larry pointed out in the next post below, if the unit has not used low crawl to go to U6, it must continue to rout away but cannot. It is thus eliminated for FTR.

[Edit2]Stewart pointed out my mistake (see the following posts). When a broken unit suffers interdiction, it may end its RtPh in LOS and normal range of a KEU.

The correct answer is thus:
The broken unit may also rout to U8 via U6, but then it suffers interdiction from V9 (if there is LOS between U6 and V9). It has to stop in U6 and end its rout phase there because it cannot move further without being closer to a KEU.

Last edited:

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
routing to U6 takes interdiction and unless pinned must continue to rout, in OG and normal range to P6. He has no rout options that do not take him closer. Dies for FTR.

routing to T6 takes interdiction, continues to T7 and takes interdiction, continues to the woods in U8 and must stop.

low crawl to U6 or T6 ... also an option. From there, he can pen a letter home about how the war is going.

lt_steiner

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
routing to U6 takes interdiction and unless pinned must continue to rout, in OG and normal range to P6. He has no rout options that do not take him closer. Dies for FTR.
Correct A10.5 applies: "A broken unit may end its RtPh in an Open Ground hex in the LOS and Normal Range of a Known enemy unit without Interdiction only if it has used Low Crawl."
Have to edit my previous post!
[Edit] Stewart made me change my mind. The routing unit in U6 takes interdiction and because of that it can end its RtPh in U6 even if not pinned.

Last edited:

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Correct A10.5 applies: "A broken unit may end its RtPh in an Open Ground hex in the LOS and Normal Range of a Known enemy unit without Interdiction only if it has used Low Crawl."
Have to edit my previous post!
During the RtPh a broken unit not in Melee may not remain in the same Open Ground hex

Why aren't you eliminated when you pin from interdiction?

lt_steiner

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
During the RtPh a broken unit not in Melee may not remain in the same Open Ground hex

Why aren't you eliminated when you pin from interdiction?
You are making me doubt because it makes also sense.
But we should emphasize the words "without interdiction" from the A10.5 sentence.
When you suffered a PIN result as a result from an interdiction ans stays in LOS and normal range of a KEU, you are not eliminated for FTR because you have already been interdicted.
In my previous assumption, the broken unit routs to U6 and suffered interdiction from V9. It can thus end its rout phase in U6 without being eliminated for FTR.
Stewart is right and I need [again] to edit my previous posts.
By the way, Stewart, you have found here a very good example that helps better understand the routing process.?

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
A broken unit may end its RtPh in an Open Ground hex in the LOS and Normal Range of a Known enemy unit without Interdiction only if it has used Low Crawl (10.52) during that RtPh, but it still may not be ADJACENT to an unbroken and armed Known enemy unit at the end of the RtPh or it will be eliminated for Failure to Rout. Broken units may not use Bypass (4.3).

Ending the RtPh here is the voluntary ending of the Rout. So, if you rout, you just just can't go 2 hexes and stop to avoid interdiction in later hexes as the example shows the interdiction possibilities. You HAVE to continue as you have to establish a destination location to go to... stopping in the middle isn't the destination.

However, if you are pinned....you didn't voluntarily stop....you were simply pinned.

lt_steiner

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
A broken unit may end its RtPh in an Open Ground hex in the LOS and Normal Range of a Known enemy unit without Interdiction only if it has used Low Crawl (10.52) during that RtPh, but it still may not be ADJACENT to an unbroken and armed Known enemy unit at the end of the RtPh or it will be eliminated for Failure to Rout. Broken units may not use Bypass (4.3).

Ending the RtPh here is the voluntary ending of the Rout. So, if you rout, you just just can't go 2 hexes and stop to avoid interdiction in later hexes as the example shows the interdiction possibilities. You HAVE to continue as you have to establish a destination location to go to... stopping in the middle isn't the destination.

However, if you are pinned....you didn't voluntarily stop....you were simply pinned.
I do not see why the unit has to continue and be eliminated for FTR. See A10.51.
A10.51 DIRECTION: A routing unit may never rout toward a Known armed enemy unit [...]. Assuming it can abide by the previous requirements, a routing unit must move to the nearest (in MF calculated at the start of its RtPh) building or woods hex...

The Unit routs to U6 and cannot go further without breaking the requirements. It has no more obligation to move to the nearest woods/buildings.
Or, it means that the rout to U6 is not legal, and the only way to rout and get to U8 is going through T6 and T7?
Reading closely the full section of A10.51 leaves open both interpretation I think. A new destination might be the hex just entered (e.g. U6). Thus routing via U6 is also legal.

A10.51 DIRECTION: At the start of its RtPh, a routing unit must designate its destination and must attempt to reach it during that RtPh [EXC: if using Low Crawl]. If a newly-Known enemy unit prevents this, a new destination is re-figured from that point.

Last edited: