Second flag raising on Iwo Jima

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Comprehensive study of the famous Rosenthal photo and the struggle by the Marines - aided by amateur historians - to determine who exactly is in the photo. The Marines have revised the official lineup at least twice since the end of the war.

Ironically, the navy corpsman (Bradley) whose son wrote the book that Eastwood's movie was based on (Flags of our Fathers) was determined after lengthy study not to be in the photo.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Comprehensive study of the famous Rosenthal photo and the struggle by the Marines - aided by amateur historians - to determine who exactly is in the photo. The Marines have revised the official lineup at least twice since the end of the war.

Ironically, the navy corpsman (Bradley) whose son wrote the book that Eastwood's movie was based on (Flags of our Fathers) was determined after lengthy study not to be in the photo.
I like to think that those who raised the flag represent all the Americans who fought there.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I like to think that those who raised the flag represent all the Americans who fought there.
I suspect they felt the same. Two guys who were misidentified and lived through the war never came forward to correct the record. The pdf in the link talks about it.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I suspect they felt the same. Two guys who were misidentified and lived through the war never came forward to correct the record. The pdf in the link talks about it.
The line that keeps going through my head when I think about it is: I am Sparticus. It doesn't really apply to the situation but somehow feels like it does to me.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
2400 B-29 bombers made emergency landings on Iwo Jima saving 24000 airmen. The sacrifices made were not in vain.