King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Hi All

Opel Blitz - 28MP towing a gun and carrying its crew and a squad as well

Unloads Gun after stopping at 2MP so up to 16MP - can they now unload squad or can it be part of the unhook gun MPs

To be clear - simultaneous unloading of squad and unhooking a gun? is it possible or is it sequential and thus one thing at a time

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Rob ?

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi All

Opel Blitz - 28MP towing a gun and carrying its crew and a squad as well

Unloads Gun after stopping at 2MP so up to 16MP - can they now unload squad or can it be part of the unhook gun MPs

To be clear - simultaneous unloading of squad and unhooking a gun? is it possible or is it sequential and thus one thing at a time

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Rob ?un
"C10.12 UNHOOKING: A Stopped vehicle not in Bypass may unhook a Gun only by spending half (FRU) of its MP/MF allotment [EXC: if the Gun's M# is circled (e.g., M6), the vehicle must expend two-thirds (FRU) of its MP/MF allotment] under the otherwise same conditions as were necessary for hooking up (10.11). That Gun's crew may disembark from that vehicle at no extra MP/MF cost as part of that unhooking procedure, but that crew and Gun must remain TI in that hex [EXC: that vehicle may expend its remaining MP/MF]. "

"D6.5 UNLOADING: A vehicle disembarks Passengers/Riders (without the latter Bailing Out) at a cost of one-fourth (FRU) of its MP allotment [EXC: Infantry unhooking a Gun, C10. 12] per disembarking stack but only while stopped during its own MPh. Disembarking Personnel must expend one MF to be placed beneath the vehicle and are additionally considered to have already expended one MF for every one-fourth of the MP allotment (FRU) used by the vehicle during that turn prior to unloading. "

I think that there are three possible scenarios here

1. The squad could unload first at the cost of a quarter of its MF allotment. This would leave one half of the vehicle's MP available to unhook the gun but it could move no further thereafter. The squad would retain half of its MF to move elsewhere.

2. It could unload as part of the unhooking expenditure but at the cost of one half of its MF allotment. This would would leave it with one MF to use and the vehicle would have a quarter of its MP allotment remaining to allow it to move elsewhere.

3. It could unload after the gun is unhooked. This would exhaust the remaining MF/MP of both the squad and the vehicle

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any thought to them unloading/unhooking simultaneously and spending 1/2 and 1/4 respectively, at the same time?

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
Any thought to them unloading/unhooking simultaneously and spending 1/2 and 1/4 respectively, at the same time?
Good question. Given that unhooking and disembarking are two distinct procedures and neither rule points to the other indicating simultaneous actions are allowed (except for the crew infantry which would become TI), I would say no. The truck is busy Unhooking for 8MPs then can get on with Unloading, or vice-versa. I don't see any errata.

Last edited:

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Good question. Given that unhooking and disembarking are two distinct procedures and neither rule points to the other indicating simultaneous actions are allowed (except for the crew infantry which would become TI), I would say no. The truck is busy Unhooking for 8MPs then can get on with Unloading, or vice-versa. I don't see any eratta.
On reflection, I think that this is correct. If the rules intended that a passenger squad could disembark as part of the unhooking procedure, they would have said so.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
My view on this is that the vehicle would expend 50% of it MP, the Gun/crew would be TI but the Infantry would only use 1 MF to unload. They could then poodle on down the road for 3 MF.

There is nothing that penalizes the infantry for unloading with a gun unhooking so I would go with COWTRA for each instance (Gun separate from Infantry).

Just my two shekels.

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Thankyou all - sry for the situation - I never thought doing it before

Cheers

Rob ?

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My view on this is that the vehicle would expend 50% of it MP, the Gun/crew would be TI but the Infantry would only use 1 MF to unload. They could then poodle on down the road for 3 MF.

There is nothing that penalizes the infantry for unloading with a gun unhooking so I would go with COWTRA for each instance (Gun separate from Infantry).

Just my two shekels.
Actually since the Blitz in the OP spent 2MP (I am guessing it changed CA for some reason, otherwise with the towing MP you can't get 2MP) before any unloading occurred the squad would have only 2MF, but I feel this is the best answer although the rules aren't written this way now.