Why are some old threads accessible, not others?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Not really a big deal but the SS In AP3 thread is from 2007 yet when I have tried to access some old threads they could not be found. Like I said not a big deal, just curious. Thanks.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
I think a previous update to the forum software or a change to a new server undertaken by the previous owner caused a loss of access and data.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I think a previous update to the forum software or a change to a new server undertaken by the previous owner caused a loss of access and data.
Ok. So some still accessible. Thanks for the prompt response.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Try using Google to search for the same thread if you really want to read it. Sometimes, the thread might still be present, but the link is broken. To limit the search to this site only, specify "site: www.gamesquad.com" (without quotes) in your search.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Try using Google to search for the same thread if you really want to read it. Sometimes, the thread might still be present, but the link is broken. To limit the search to this site only, specify "site: www.gamesquad.com" (without quotes) in your search.
Thanks! Had been thinking about Da Paul Challenge, great thread.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Thanks! Had been thinking about Da Paul Challenge, great thread.

Does that link to the first post / beginning of thread?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

Does that link to the first post / beginning of thread?
The Google took me to page 64 but was able to go to previous page. Thanks for the tip on Google! Had no idea about that and never thought of trying it.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I recently started a "Ask Paul" thread on equipment and orders of battle as a fine detail companion to "Da Paul Challenge" because a similar earlier thread disappeared ("Paul's Pompous, Pedantic Platitudes and Proclamations" or something like that) when the forum software was changed to Xenforo. Some entire sub-fora disappeared, though they were more on the lines of Chit Chat rather than pure ASL.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Too bad, we could all use some pedantic platitudes and proclamations not involving the end of the world as we know it in our lives right now.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
There is a trick with which you can access some of the old threads which has been developed by JRV - his 'bookmarklet'.

See here:

What this will not do is to give you back tons of old images that used to be there before a couple of forum updates, the lack of which makes some old threads less useful than they used to be.

von Marwitz