VASL6.6.0 is officially released

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
VASL6.6.0 is officially released. Get it here.

Aside from a few minor bug fixes, VASL6.6.0 contains the same functionality as VASL6.5.1 but moves VASL onto the new VASSAL platform. All future VASL builds will use the new VASSAL versions.

To use VASL6.6.0 you must first download and install VASSAL3.4.2. Get VASSAL here. Then download VASL6.6.0.zip and extract VASL6.6.0.vmod from the zip file and open it from within the VASSAL3.4.2 window (it will not show up at first, click File -> Open Module and then navigate to the VASL6.6.0.vmod and select it. After the first use it will be in the VASSAL window).

A major-league shout out to Joel Uckelman and the VASSAL team who worked very hard to configure VASL to work with the new VASSAL. We appreciate their efforts.

Important:
VASL6.6.0 works with VASSAL3.4.2 and will not work VASSAL3.2.17. Due in part to the speed of VASSAL changes, there is no assurance that VASL6.6.0 will work on other VASSAL versions.

VASL6.5.1 works with VASSAL3.217 and will not work with VASSAL3.4.2.

Games created in VASL6.5.0 or 6.5.1 will work in VASL6.6.0. Games created in earlier versions of VASL won't work in VASL6.6.0.

Games created in VASL6.6.0 will work in VASL6.5.0 and 6.5.1 but not in earlier versions of VASL.

It is possible to have both VASSAL3.2.17 running VASL6.5.1 AND VASSAL3.4.2 running VASL6.6.0 on your device at the same time. It is not an either/or choice.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Awesome Doug. What do you do for a hobby ?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
VASL6.6.0 is officially released. Get it here.

Aside from a few minor bug fixes, VASL6.6.0 contains the same functionality as VASL6.5.1 but moves VASL onto the new VASSAL platform. All future VASL builds will use the new VASSAL versions.

To use VASL6.6.0 you must first download and install VASSAL3.4.2. Get VASSAL here. Then download VASL6.6.0.zip and extract VASL6.6.0.vmod from the zip file and open it from within the VASSAL3.4.2 window (it will not show up at first, click File -> Open Module and then navigate to the VASL6.6.0.vmod and select it. After the first use it will be in the VASSAL window).

A major-league shout out to Joel Uckelman and the VASSAL team who worked very hard to configure VASL to work with the new VASSAL. We appreciate their efforts.

Important:
VASL6.6.0 works with VASSAL3.4.2 and will not work VASSAL3.2.17. Due in part to the speed of VASSAL changes, there is no assurance that VASL6.6.0 will work on other VASSAL versions.

VASL6.5.1 works with VASSAL3.217 and will not work with VASSAL3.4.2.

Games created in VASL6.5.0 or 6.5.1 will work in VASL6.6.0. Games created in earlier versions of VASL won't work in VASL6.6.0.

Games created in VASL6.6.0 will work in VASL6.5.0 and 6.5.1 but not in earlier versions of VASL.

It is possible to have both VASSAL3.2.17 running VASL6.5.1 AND VASSAL3.4.2 running VASL6.6.0 on your device at the same time. It is not an either/or choice.

Heartfelt thanks on the behalf of the ASL and VASL community for the relentless efforts that are continuously put into VASSAL/VASL as a priceless medium to play the game with opponents around the world.

Special cheers go out to

Joel Uckelman
Doug Rim
Al Cannamore (BigAl737)
Tuomo

No less praise is deserved for all the Code Gnomes, Counter Trolls, and Map Elves that form the VASSAL / VASL team. I propose that those who do know their names add them to the list for proper credit.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks to everyone who helped to make this! There is one problem. The red circle doesn't appear on ctrl left click.

fabiofotomoto

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
I try this night in a game, i have found 3 "bug". first is the red circle to point unit is no more visible instead appears the info window of the unit. Second, when you select a unit the text o the hex's coordinate appear very, very small. Third, when move a stack the boom units are no more visible, and you need to disable and mount again the stack. good night Fabio

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I try this night in a game, i have found 3 "bug". first is the red circle to point unit is no more visible instead appears the info window of the unit. Second, when you select a unit the text o the hex's coordinate appear very, very small. Third, when move a stack the boom units are no more visible, and you need to disable and mount again the stack. good night Fabio
I think at least the first issue you name can be fixed by adjusting your Preferences now.

von Marwitz

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks to everyone who helped to make this! There is one problem. The red circle doesn't appear on ctrl left click.
As others have noted, this is now a preference, and I double-checked that it was selected ON before I built the module. So I don't know why it was off on yours. I opened my version of 6.6.0 just after releasing it and the preference was on. Ghosts in the machine.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah at least one other person had this problem, but now that I know it is an option, I can spread the word!

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks for this. As you can see the red circle is now a preference. Can you check it is selected in your module?

For bug #2, the size of the hex name text, it looks normal on my device. Actually, probably a bit sharper than before and that is due to the VASSAL changes. It may be a device specific thing. Can you post a screenshot and tell me more about your machine?

I have tried moving a stack and I have to say that it all worked as it should. Could you describe it again for me? I may be misunderstanding the problem. Any chance you are on a VASSAL version other than 3.4.2?

fabiofotomoto

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Thanks for this. As you can see the red circle is now a preference. Can you check it is selected in your module?

Ok, thanks i find it! and it works

For bug #2, the size of the hex name text, it looks normal on my device. Actually, probably a bit sharper than before and that is due to the VASSAL changes. It may be a device specific thing. Can you post a screenshot and tell me more about your machine?

as in screenshot attach, the big text is in vassal 3.2.17 with vasl 6.5.1 the other is with vassal 3.4.3 with vasl 6.6.0. iMac 27 OsX10.14.6

I have tried moving a stack and I have to say that it all worked as it should. Could you describe it again for me? I may be misunderstanding the problem. Any chance you are on a VASSAL version other than 3.4.2?
about the 3rd problems seem it happens only on an non official map ( one created for a playlets). I'll do more test to confirm this ipotesi

Attachments