eRulebook, Pocket Chapter H and errata update (for those not on FB)

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think you mean PDFs don’t flow well, they scale great.
As Scott notes, the eRB text scales well; I find it perfectly readable on an iPhone. The pocket Chapter H (and the eRB) will now have errata incorporated, as well.
Not sure that I follow "flow" vs "zoom"...all I know is that when I try to read pdfs on my iPad, I have to zoom in every individual page, move the page around to read all the text on the page, shrink the page to normal size to turn the page, and then do everything all over again to read the next page. It is a pretty unpleasant reading experience...I can't imagine trying to read a book in pdf format on my phone.

For other formats (html?) I can set a font size once, and then my phone/tablet will scale the all the text/pages properly for the screen size.

Am I missing something?

Last edited:

pixelgeek

Just some guy
Reaction score
First name
Zac
Country
llCanada
For other formats (html?) I can set a font size once, and then my phone/tablet will scale the all the text/pages properly for the screen size.

Am I missing something?
The PDF format is designed to keep the layout and design of the original document. So it appears exactly the same as the physical product.

Something like epub (or any ebook format) is designed to focus on the text and not include layout or design elements and so you can vary the font and size.

A PDF is not going to reflow in the same way that an epub file will.

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The PDF format is designed to keep the layout and design of the original document. So it appears exactly the same as the physical product.

Something like epub (or any ebook format) is designed to focus on the text and not include layout or design elements and so you can vary the font and size.

A PDF is not going to reflow in the same way that an epub file will.
Yeah, that's kind of my point--I'm not sure I'd actually buy a pdf version, because it will be too much of a PITA to read, unless I buy a 12" tablet of some sort so I don't have to monkey around with the page size. I've got other eManuals in html and they work great on all my devices, including things like tables and images.

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As long as it works in Windows 10 (adobe) on my Surface Pro I'm happy. I don't want to have to buy a 'reader' (physical or program).
There are many free reader programs that work on any tablet (or phone I suppose), so you wouldn't have to buy anything in any event.

I've got a Surface Pro too but personally find it a bit too heavy for serious reading, and the screen a bit too small for reading pdfs without zooming in (my eyesight ain't what it used to be).

pixelgeek

Just some guy
Reaction score
First name
Zac
Country
llCanada
Yeah, that's kind of my point--I'm not sure I'd actually buy a pdf version, because it will be too much of a PITA to read, unless I buy a 12" tablet of some sort so I don't have to monkey around with the page size. I've got other eManuals in html and they work great on all my devices, including things like tables and images.
My iPad has decent enough resolution that in portrait mode I can read most rulebooks. In landscape mode it is a bit of a PITA.

The ASLSK rulebook is an exception in that I prefer to read the physical version.

I don't see why an eASLRB couldn't be done in an epub format or html to allow easier reading on a device.

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't see why an eASLRB couldn't be done in an epub format or html to allow easier reading on a device.
I'll keep my fingers crossed...I would love to buy an eASLRB, but only if I can read it conveniently, otherwise I'll probably give it a pass (depending on the price).

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
On further reflection, I might hold off on getting the Pocket ASLRB - in hopes that a Red Letter Edition, with all the Words of Perry in red typeface, would soon be forthcoming. :whistle:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
If MMP is clever, they'll offer it in various formats to fit each one's bill.

I imagine that making an ePub out of a PDF is not much fuss after finally getting the eASLRB on track and ready for sale.

von Marwitz

pixelgeek

Just some guy
Reaction score
First name
Zac
Country
llCanada
I imagine that making an ePub out of a PDF is not much fuss after finally getting the eASLRB on track and ready for sale.
That would be very untrue. You would need to do an entire QA run on the new version. My assumption was that they would only do an elub or HTML version.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
If MMP is clever, they'll offer it in various formats to fit each one's bill.

von Marwitz
You don't make an epub out of a pdf, you build an epub from your source files that were used to build the pdf. There is some fuss and even smaller publishers will outsource some of the labor.