Bounding Fire Blackpool - 20th to 22nd November 2020

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Good morning everyone. I hope you and all your family and friends remain well.

A quick update on this year's tournament...

Martin Vicca asked recently if the issue of local lockdowns puts the tournament this year in doubt. The only transparent way of answering this is to say that this tournament will be in doubt until 20th November. It's impossible to predict where we'll be then, and what restrictions will then be in place. I suggest if you intend to attend that you simply 'pencil it in the diary'. Which is to say we'll cancel close to the event time if we're forced to, but not before. Do please take this into consideration if you need to book your travel for the event in advance.

Charles (Headlands Hotel) remains comfortable with his Covid measures and with his years of experience of looking after us annually (and recently twice annually) doesn't, within the rules he's working to, consider that our ASL tournament qualifies as a 'social gathering' to any greater extent than his hotel being full of groups of holidaymakers would. I think when you consider the nature of these tournaments, that I can see his point. Is he 'reaching'? Possibly. But he'll know the rules having been working to them now for some time. Ultimately it's going to be his call.

If needs must that we need to do something quirky such as advise (or enforce) usage of visors then we will outline that in advance.

The plan is that we'll continue to take stock and I'll provide a further update in October. In the meantime please continue to register and book at the hotel. There's no deposit payable. It just helps to know in advance how many we're likely to have there.

All the best and...finger's crossed !

Martin/Simon

agoldin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Have you considered running a virtual tournament on VASL? I ask because I’d like to play but won’t be able to make the trip.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Have you considered running a virtual tournament on VASL? I ask because I’d like to play but won’t be able to make the trip.
Hi mate.

If we can't run it physically it's something I'd consider.

My main issue with it is that I'm not sure it's compatible for overseas players as it would be impossible to get the winning prize to them in one piece and the time differences would be a nightmare I imagine. No?

Last resort though. If we can do it physically (within the rules/laws/restrictions) we intend to.

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
My main issue with it is that I'm not sure it's compatible for overseas players as it would be impossible to get the winning prize to them in one piece and the time differences would be a nightmare I imagine. No?
Time difference is OK.

And I promise to to win, a promise you know I am perfectly qualified to keep o_Oo_Oo_O

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
...My main issue with it is that I'm not sure it's compatible for overseas players as it would be impossible to get the winning prize to them in one piece and the time differences would be a nightmare I imagine. No?

Last resort though. If we can do it physically (within the rules/laws/restrictions) we intend to.
If you go virtual the time zones shouldn't be too big an issue if the players in North America (-4 to -8 GMT) and elsewhere are keen for the match.

I would sign up for the VASL tournament this year as I can't make the trip. I do hope to make it in 2021 if the world returns to normal.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Have them consider it a "protest". Then you can have 1000's show up.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
If you go virtual the time zones shouldn't be too big an issue if the players in North America (-4 to -8 GMT) and elsewhere are keen for the match.

I would sign up for the VASL tournament this year as I can't make the trip. I do hope to make it in 2021 if the world returns to normal.
EST are tough for PST...GMT is a 1am start time .....I'm a night owl but damn!!!

LOL???

agoldin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I aspire to travel to Britain again (it’s been a bunch of years since I was last there) but traveling with the family is pricey (and yes, I will have to bring them). I’m on the east coast of the US so the time difference (GMT -5) is manageable, which is why I ask. Of course an in-person tournament is best but VASL May be a good option if that’s not possible.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
For virtual events, don't underestimate the effect of playing at night for those wishing to partake in events across the Atlantic. One can do it easily the first day, after that, fatigue sets in and it becomes more difficult to give good games to your opponents.

BTW Blackpool is fine as a venue.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
EST are tough for PST...GMT is a 1am start time .....I'm a night owl but damn!!!

LOL???
I'm in the Mountain Time zone (-7 GMT). It's worth looking at but there is no doubt it would be a rough weekend.

I do hope the increasing case count in the UK doesn't threaten the Blackpool tournament.