ASL never was developed, would you still be playing SL?

Would you have played SL if ASL never was developed

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Sort of an offshoot of the SL/ASL/ASLSK thread.

I would have. Never found SL to be so flawed that I would have given it up.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Of course. I was one of "Those Guys" who,.... having paid out all the coin for SL - GIAoV, the General mags, etc.,... was STUNned and then pissed when AH dropped the system for ASL. The rules were not that hard to sort out.

In hindsight I see why but at the time, and not having the cash I would later (finished uni, joined army),.... it was like starting over. This was additionally irksome as I am a DTO and France 40 fan and had to wait a long, long time to get back into my Grant. Thank Gawd for the Normandy and Bulge scenarios.

Aghh!! I don't want to talk about it anymore. ?

It brings back such painful memories ?

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Of course. I was one of "Those Guys" who,.... having paid out all the coin for SL - GIAoV, the General mags, etc.,... was STUNned and then pissed when AH dropped the system for ASL. The rules were not that hard to sort out.

In hindsight I see why but at the time, and not having the cash I would later (finished uni, joined army),.... it was like starting over. This was additionally irksome as I am DTO and France 40 fan and had to wait a long, long time to get back into my Grant. Thank Gawd for the Normandy and Bulge scenarios.

Aghh!! I don't want to talk about it anymore. ?

It brings back such painful memories ?
Sorry to have dredged up memories that are so painful to you?.

$$$ Yes a prime consideration. If I had not won Games for Life ?☹ would have had to rely entirely on Fish's kit.

DTO fan myself. Helped Mac playtest it way, way bitd.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
It's ok,.... a shot of Glenfiddich 12 year Reserve braced me right up. Ready to face the next ASL fracas

Keep Calm, Carry On. Suppress those dark episodes from the past and push them deep into the corners of your psyche.

Deep breaths.

Deep breaths

Deep breaths.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
It's ok,.... a shot of Glenfiddich 12 year Reserve braced me right up. Ready to face the next ASL fracas

Keep Calm, Carry On. Suppress those dark episodes from the past and push them deep into the corners of your psyche.

Deep breaths.

Deep breaths

Deep breaths.
Box of wine, box of wine, boxes of wine!!!!?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Box of wine, box of wine, boxes of wine!!!!?
Someone called for Oberst von Marwitz?

On topic:
Back then in the store, they had SL and ASL standing next to each other. It took me some time to grokk, that you not only need the ASLRB but also BV. This together was really big money for me while still at school. As the ASLRB really looked intimidating compared to SL with its programmed approach, I bought SL first.

I have played maybe half a dozen SL games (and had bought COI and the rest of the SL kit) which was a blast.

Then I concluded that it might be clever not to frist learn all the SL stuff and after that switch to ASL, especially, because I realized that after a while the programmed approach would turn into a burden.

So I bought the ASLRB and BV before really taking off with SL. Gratefully, this was exactly the right decision.

So much for saving funds... ?

If there hadn't been ASL, I would probably have indulged in SL.

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

On topic:
Back then in the store, they had SL and ASL standing next to each other. It took me some time to grokk, that you not only need the ASLRB but also BV. This together was really big money for me while still at school. As the ASLRB really looked intimidating compared to SL with its programmed approach, I bought SL first.

I have played maybe half a dozen SL games (and had bought COI and the rest of the SL kit) which was a blast.

Then I concluded that it might be clever not to frist learn all the SL stuff and after that switch to ASL, especially, because I realized that after a while the programmed approach would turn into a burden.

So I bought the ASLRB and BV before really taking off with SL. Gratefully, this was exactly the right decision.

von Marwitz
Just curious, what did you find burdensome about programmed instruction?

An inordinate number of threads I get involved in end up with alcohol being a major topic of discussion. Sorry ?

Last edited:

R Hooks

Smoke Break brb
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm still not totally convinced the ASL armor values 0 to 26 are any better then -5 to +5, but banana leaves are not bullet proof vests.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I'm still not totally convinced the ASL armor values 0 to 26 are any better then -5 to +5, but banana leaves are not bullet proof vests.
True, but you can cook in banana leaves, not sure about the vest.?

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

On topic:

von Marwitz
If you went right to ASL, you still would have had to buy SL for the boards.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
We ran out of scenarios to choose from pretty rapidly.
They don't dissapear after you've played them once you know.???
Sorry don't mean to be a jick.??

I've always believed that many of the best players got that way because they had to replay the limited amount of scenarios available to them bitd so many times. YMMV. ?

Funny story, bitd. Kept seeing property manager making copies every time I went into the office. Finally asked her what she was doing.

She was making copies of the monthly reports she had to fax to corporate. She was working on the illusion that when she faxed the report the paper copy was sent to them and she would need a backup. ?

True story. You go to war with the officers they give you. God bless the non-commissioned officer.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I've always believed that many of the best players got that way because they had to replay the limited amount of scenarios available to them bitd so many times. YMMV. ?
I think you learn more playing one scenario ten times than ten scenarios once. Just my opinion.

Captain Bacchus agrees.?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They don't dissapear after you've played them once you know.???
Sorry don't mean to be a jick.??

Funny story, bitd. Kept seeing property manager making copies every time I went into the office. Finally asked her what she was doing.

She was making copies of the monthly reports she had to fax to corporate. She was working on the illusion that when she faxed the report the paper copy was sent to them and she would need a backup. ?

True story. You go to war with the officers they give you. God bless the non-commissioned officer.
Had a injured soldier working in the orderly room and was clearing out some old file drawers for the TOP. the 1SG was always for having a bit of fun, I heard him tell the guy to toss out every thing in there but make sure he made a copy first.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Had a injured soldier working in the orderly room and was clearing out some old file drawers for the TOP. the 1SG was always for having a bit of fun, I heard him tell the guy to toss out every thing in there but make sure he made a copy first.
Lol!

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I went through the full SL-CoI-CoD-GI:AoV before getting ASL. If that's as far as it went, I very strongly suspect that I would have tired with the limitations of the original underlying (much mutated) engine.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe I would have stayed with the SL system as Tactical wargames were my interest. I doubt if I would maintained the same interest/immersion level that I have for ASL as the overall system was a bit clunky. I believe the system would have cleaned itself up somewhat and certainly the rules would have been combined and cleaned up as well with additional modules (almost a sure thing if ASL had not come along).

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
If you went right to ASL, you still would have had to buy SL for the boards.
Dang, you're right!

I never conciously realized this for more than 25 years until this day...
Since I had the SL stuff, the boards were 'just there' and I never needed to reflect on that.

This game - it has the capability to surprise you time and again even after decades.

von Marwitz