What ASL Product Have You Bought Recently?

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yeah, that's pretty much why I bought it as well, just figured that those maps will get used sometime

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I used to do that, but SK4's crazy price tag (for just maps) and the realization that I play 99% VASL finally put a stop to it for me.
Yeah, my friend John says much the same he is really thinking long and hard before he buys anything now as, certainly lately, he has mainly been playing VASL (hopefully we will get back to face to face before too long though. This virus is not good)

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, my friend John says much the same he is really thinking long and hard before he buys anything now as, certainly lately, he has mainly been playing VASL (hopefully we will get back to face to face before too long though. This virus is not good)
Well, I believe in buying IP I'm using even if I'm not using the physical components, but the SKs which I'd only ever maybe use the boards (and will buy them if I can separately), I just can't bring myself to spend $80 for four boards, especially when I really don't want SK4 to be a thing that exists.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well, I believe in buying IP I'm using even if I'm not using the physical components, but the SKs which I'd only ever maybe use the boards (and will buy them if I can separately), I just can't bring myself to spend $80 for four boards, especially when I really don't want SK4 to be a thing that exists.
That's a fair point, yeah it is darn pricey, I just figured I NEEDED to get the maps that badly that it was worth it to me to spend the money.
Going to have to fudge my budget though I think, seems to be a fair bit of stuff coming out soon (Swedish volunteers, Best of Friends 2 etc.)

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
That's a fair point, yeah it is darn pricey, I just figured I NEEDED to get the maps that badly that it was worth it to me to spend the money.
Going to have to fudge my budget though I think, seems to be a fair bit of stuff coming out soon (Swedish volunteers, Best of Friends 2 etc.)
Gonna be a fun run of releases. I have the original SV. It's neat, but it's pretty much just a novelty. Lots of small stuff nothing super-thrilling. But BoF2...oh man. FrFA being baptized into the official system will bring more geoboard value than all the SK boards together. It is, without qualification, my favorite geomorphic board.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Gonna be a fun run of releases. I have the original SV. It's neat, but it's pretty much just a novelty. Lots of small stuff nothing super-thrilling. But BoF2...oh man. FrFA being baptized into the official system will bring more geoboard value than all the SK boards together. It is, without qualification, my favorite geomorphic board.
I must admit I'm really looking forward to SV, never seen the original though
BOF2 will be good I reckon, I don't have more than a couple of the Friendly Fire packs so reckon I need to get it
the board sounds good

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
I must admit I'm really looking forward to SV, never seen the original though
BOF2 will be good I reckon, I don't have more than a couple of the Friendly Fire packs so reckon I need to get it
the board sounds good
If you don't have a lot of FrF, I think you'll really like BoF2. I'm assuming it'll include FrF45 Totensonntag, which features the board and is one of my few "anyone, anytime, either side" scenarios. Play that one first. :)

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I do wonder why it sets your teeth on edge. If players want to enjoy ASL lite why let it worry you. Full blown ASL is such a big commitment it is no wonder that there is a market for a lite version - in all senses of the word including the cost.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If you don't have a lot of FrF, I think you'll really like BoF2. I'm assuming it'll include FrF45 Totensonntag, which features the board and is one of my few "anyone, anytime, either side" scenarios. Play that one first. :)
Thanks, I've got one of the earlier FrF packs and the latest one but no others. Looking forward to picking up Best of Friends 2 for sure.

Will check out Totensonntag

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Giving FrFA it´s merits, i highly doubt that it outmatch ALL SK boards together. It has it´s deserved place among the geo boards, no doubt about it, good to see it will be official.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Enh. The SK boards range from average to awful. The reduced terrain types are...
Giving FrFA it´s merits, i highly doubt that it outmatch ALL SK boards together. It has it´s deserved place among the geo boards, no doubt about it, good to see it will be official.
Is there a single stand out board amongst them? It's possible I've forgotten one, but my recollection is that they range from mediocre to average with a couple bad sprinkled in and thus represent ballast as much as anything. And at this point, I'd much rather have one standout board than that.

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Enh. The SK boards range from average to awful. The reduced terrain types are...

Is there a single stand out board amongst them? It's possible I've forgotten one, but my recollection is that they range from mediocre to average with a couple bad sprinkled in and thus represent ballast as much as anything. And at this point, I'd much rather have one standout board than that.
And still they are useful for the system, i.e. the SK they were made for primary. I´m with you that some of them are not pretty useful for ASL. Maybe design for effect was the idea behind them?!
But what makes FrF A so outstanding in your eyes? I´m just curious, no ill intention behind that question. I would say it´s the little brother of Board 4. What makes it good (but not outstanding), since we need such boards.