So what scenarios have you played Recently?

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played a game of FO3: One Story Town. 18 squads of Russians, supported by two armored cars, must defend along the north-south axis of a two-geoboard village. Attacking them from the NW and SE corners are a force of 23 Finnish squads, who must seize 4 of the 5 large buildings in the village in 7 turns.

Russian reinforcements, in the form of 10 squads and 6 light tanks, dribble in on turns 3 and 5.

(There is a version of this scenario where the Finns have flamethrower tanks, maybe a post-Hakkaa Paalle version? We didn't play that one).

As the Finns, I charged madly into the center, hoping to seize the required buildings quickly, link up my two forces, and hedgehog against the oncoming Russian reinforcements and their unopposed armor. My opponent pulled back north and west, hoping to hang on to the two buildings in that corner of the village. It was a total slaughter, as I rolled 5 or less on everything and the Russians never rolled lower than an 8, which is tough on 7 morale troops with an ELR of 2. It was a very swirling total slaughter, though, as the Finns came in from two sides, and the Russian reinforcements have a lot of flexibility to come sailing in against the rear and flanks of the Finnish force. By the last couple of turns, three buildings were firmly Finnish, one was firmly Russian, and a battle was raging over the last building to decide the game.

The last two half-turns featured a desperate, suicidal, surprisingly successful charges by both sides. The game came down to the final DR, and when it was over, both of us thought we had control of the crucial victory building. After some consultation on here, the general consensus was that I won, but it doesn't get closer than that.

I diced the absolute hell out of the Russians, though, and only barely made it. Super fun scenario, but maybe look for the version where the Finns get flamethrower tanks, as I think they could use the help.

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
FT224 The Guardians of Hell’s Gates

We had three players so two of us were the Russians and one played the Germans. The German defenders south of the designated road line were composed of 658s, 548s, a pair of Pz IVHs, a Pz IIIL, and a captured ART 85L.

This is set in Poland Feb. 1944 and is on the Kampfgruppe Scherer map, but is not a KGS scenario. The Russians have an onboard group of 447s and 458s and a similar group but with 4 T-34s and 2 T-70s entering on Turn 1. The mobile group entered via armored assault on the west flank and would soon discover an HMG and 85L defending the second line of defense.

I’ve never played a block control scenario before so found the Victory Conditions of interest: The Russians win immediately if they control 4 blocks on Turn 3, 5 blocks on Turn 5, and so on until Turn 7. According to errata at ASL Scenario Archive, block control is not like in KGS where it is the majority of Strategic Locations such as building, rubble and fortifications, but one must control all the buildings in the block. It was a tense game and it became clear that both sides needed to prevent a breakthrough into their rear lines.

We didn’t finish this scenario but by the end of Turn 3, on the east side, the Russians were in melee in the one last building of Sector 25 (controlling this would have given the Russians three blocks under control, one short of the 4th one needed on Turn 3). Also, they had a leader stack prepared to run into the next 4-building Sector 24, empty of defenders, to the south on their Turn 4. A 658 that had tried to threaten Sector 18 in the opposite direction, behind these Russians was pinned after three Defensive Fire shots, and later broken.

Early on, the 45L malfunctioned firing at the Pz III but a T-34 came on and burned the Pz on its first shot.

On the west side, a T-34 closing on a Pz IVH was shot at the flank by the HIP ART 85L and went into bypass to avoid it. The Pz IVH two hexes to its front destroyed it on its Defensive Fire, needing a 5 to kill. On Turn 3, long-range duels ended up with the Pz IVH destroyed by one of the two T-34s engaging it.

A German stack on the west edge was encircled but escaped, and managed to break most of the Russians trying to eliminate it. The T-70s kept the group tied down in their position. However, the HMG in RR30 and ART 85L next to it stymied the advance on this side.

Back to the east side, the other Pz IVH was roaming the west edge and DM’d several Russians trying to rally in a back building. The 45L was repaired and when manhandled into view, had its crew KIA’d by the Pz IVH. However, with the elimination of the other Pz IVH, this remaining Pz IVH would be facing T-34s to its south and west.

We had stop play due to running out of time. It was still an even match and the game it could have gone either way at that point. Highly recommend giving this scenario a play if you have access to the Kampfgruppe Scherer map and the Player’s Guide.

With reinforcements of two T-34s with 458s riding on them, it would have been a glorious next turn!

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
By game end my VC were pretty close to what I needed but Curtis was able to garner enough VC buildings and run away with his tanks to avoid any more large CVP losses to overcome my remaining two Sqd Equiv. in the VC area. A great design by Pete Shelling and well played by Curtis. We had Heavy rain at least twice in the scenario and Gusts twice. Dice were hot throughout by and large with each getting a hero and the Brits generating a Ldr and a BH sqd. High recommendation for a scenario that may put one off at first flush because of the barrages and falling rain.
Trivia: This one (along with "Night of Nights" ) was originally to be part of the Chapter E pack-- but the Normandy pack was closer (no rules to re-write) so we decided to use them there instead.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is the Ch E pack still a thing that might happen?
I've got scenarios. The "First Cavalry Division Historical Study/Action Pack hybrid" that I am working on features many of the rules. MMP needs to appropriate the proper resources to re-do the Chapter.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've got scenarios. The "First Cavalry Division Historical Study/Action Pack hybrid" that I am working on features many of the rules. MMP needs to appropriate the proper resources to re-do the Chapter.
I would hope they would address FOG conditions to something approximating the KGP Mist rules as the current one almost precludes an interesting game (not holding out a lot of hope though).

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would hope they would address FOG conditions to something approximating the KGP Mist rules as the current one almost precludes an interesting game (not holding out a lot of hope though).
I could probably find an easier 'Design for Effect' solution somewhere in between the two.

But then we would have 3 (!) versions of the Fog rules :(

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
FT224 The Guardians of Hell’s Gates

We had three players so two of us were the Russians and one played the Germans. The German defenders south of the designated road line were composed of 658s, 548s, a pair of Pz IVHs, a Pz IIIL, and a captured ART 85L.

We had stop play due to running out of time. It was still an even match and the game it could have gone either way at that point. Highly recommend giving this scenario a play if you have access to the Kampfgruppe Scherer map and the Player’s Guide...

With reinforcements of two T-34s with 458s riding on them, it would have been a glorious next turn!
Three player games never seem to be finished but they are not bad as a social occasion. Generally it is difficult depending on the scenario for the player with a partner to fully coordinate his attack (or defense). Besides, who wants to leave a gamer out when all three actually have the free time to play? We usually look for a scenario where there are really divergent forces/nationalities.

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played J181 The Deadly Line.

This is an odd one: Russians vs Japanese in (mostly) ETO. My Japanese have seven squads, 2nd-line and conscript with a 1 ELR, two artillery pieces perched on a hilltop, four light tanks that were obsolete in 1941, and one captured-and-immobilized Russian T-34/85. Notably, they have no support weapons! I don't think I've played a side without SW since my starter kit days. "Rounding out" their OB are two AT mines, enough foxholes for an entire division, and 12 tank-hunter heroes, which they get to HIP in lieu of creating them the usual way.

They must defend a hilltop against ten Russian squads supported by seven tanks: 5 T-34/85s and 2 flamethrowing T-34s. They can win by killing or immobilizing six of the seven Russian tanks, or by keeping 1.5 squad equivalents unbroken in their original setup area. Units that start HIP don't count toward this total, so the bug-hunt aspect of playing the Japanese is reduced.

My plan was to force the Russians into making a combined arms attack. I figured that the threat of the THHs would keep his armor from moving ahead of his infantry, and if his infantry got ahead of his armor, I could send my tankettes to overrun them, which is the only task I think they could manage (even a critical hit on the rear armor of the T34/85s would not guarantee a kill). The hill was mostly open ground with plenty of plateau on levels 1 and 2, so great ground for a reverse slope defense (an approach that is especially enticing when your ELR is 1). I would do that, and hope that managing a combined arms attack would be slow enough that I could run out the clock.

Helping me with that was a screen of woods separating my hill from the Russian setup area. I defended the road through the center of the woods with my AT mines. To my left, things were more open, and could be bypassed; I put a bunch of THHs and a concealed conscript squad there. A couple of squads defended my right; their job was to forestall any small-scale Russian probes, but if he attacked there in force, they would fall back through the ravine to the hilltop where the rest of my force was keeping carefully out of sight.

The Russians pushed forward mainly against my center and right. I never got to find out how good my overall strategy was, because I proceeded to roll 3 or 4 on every die roll for the first three turns. The guns on the hilltop were deadly accurate with area target type, pinning or breaking half of his armor-assaulting infantry and immobilizing one of the flamethrowing tanks. Anti-tank mines immobilized two of the T34/85s, a couple of tank hunter heroes took out a third, and the last flamethrower tank managed to park on top of my HIP conscripts, who passed their 1PAATC with flying colors and nailed it in reaction fire the moment it stopped. With only two mobile AFVs left, my opponent could no longer risk exposing them to THH and DI attempts, or he would automatically lose, and half of his infantry was woefully out of position, while my infantry force was still entirely intact, so the Russian player concede after Turn 3.

I strongly recommend my strategy of "rolling an average of 3.8". T34/85s become much less scary then.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Last Week Mr Honus and I played out GD8 from the LCPs Gr D'ld Pack I and this week we played GD9 from GD Pack II.

GD8 - Blood Flecked Snow.

The Germans have a nigh impossible task of crossing an open board defended by Russian HMGs and 82* mortars in winter. The Germans have 16 elite squads with pretty good leadership but only 2 MMG and 4 50* Mtr for "heavy" support. The LMGs and ATR are only good once the Germans can close.

The Germans do get a Barrage that hits everything within 5 hexes of it final FFE hex and a Creeping Barrage (100+ OBA) but no actual radio/OBA

The Red Army has 18 1st Line squads and only two SMC but the heavy mortars and HMGs don't need much help.

The Barrage did nothing and even though the Creeping Barrage went right over the main positions it broke only two squads. With only 7 Turns to cross two boards (with a frozen stream) and clear a village, the Germans just don't the have time required and the Red Army troops won by using perhaps six or seven squads and their heavy weapons to lay down residual firepower and break up the German attack despite it being well dispersed. The rest of the Soviet troops simply stayed out of LOS or skulked.

ROAR has this at 4 Red Army wins and 0 German wins.

GD9 - Taste of Blood

This one is an interesting fight.

Seven T-60 M40s enter carrying seven 447 (SSR) with 2 LMG and an ATR led by an 8-1 and 7-0, SAN 3, ELR 3

The Germans enter with six 248 HS, 2 LMG, a 9-1 and 8-0 mounted in six SdKfz 250/1 and supported by three SdKfz 250/10 w 37L AT guns, SAN 2, ELR 4.

The Red Army must retain a GO MMC or mobile tank w/ functioning MA within 4 hexes of the village centre (Board 48).

Both sides have a pre-turn to use 1/2 MP (hidden) with play then beginning with Red Army Turn 1 with units now only Concealed.

The Soviet tanks and infantry roar into the village occupying it in the depth. The German infantry moves in from the west with the light HTs doing what they can to help while avoiding the Red Army 20LL main guns. The German 37L support HT move to engage by making use of range to lower Red Army To Hit chance and coming at the Soviet tanks from three sides. They needn't have bothered as the T-60s soon turned two SdKfz 250/10s into blazing wrecks (spreading to the grain hexes and then the town from the east). The third HT was immobilized, shocked, abandoned, reoccupied.

It did go on to knock out two tanks but the Russian had three recalled due to MA disabling and one turret hit stun (recall v 1 MT). Only one tank was left on the map by the end.

The German infantry was reinforced by three SdKfz 232 (8 rad), a 9-1 AL and two more 468s each with a dm MMG on sidecars.

The wind shifted early as the fire spreads into the village covering everything layers of drifting smoke and the landsers press on. Red Army troops are chased by flames into the Germans and a number are killed for FTR. The Germans press on clearing the village and using ACs and HTs for Encirclement and VBF as a prelude to close assault and CC.

The scenario ends on the last CCPh of the last turn as the Germans roll a 12 and a wounded Red Army 7-0 and 237 slip out of the melee for the win.

ROAR - 7 Red Army wins, 9 German wins

Last edited:

Mike205

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
S68- End of Their Rope

A tough one for the Marauders. Similar to the old Coastal Fortress scenario Last of Their Strength, this Starter Kit scenario pits some elite Americans against a crappy Japanese garrison in Myitkyina, Burma. On turn three the Japanese get a considerable boost in reinforcements. I suggested that we play the Japanese balance, by which all Marauders are permanently CX'ed to reflect their exhausted nature after a 66 mile forced march through the jungle after an already lengthy combat deployment. Intriguing? Yes. Challenging? Of course. I had a complete Opus Dei moment and brutalized myself for six turns.

Alongside the rain, this meant that the Americans basically had to enter CC to make any progress towards their VC locations since their fire power was largely negated. They won most of them but only grabbed three out of the five huts they needed to win.

Surprisingly spicy for a Starter Kit, I'd like to try this one again without the balance.

Westy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
AP 111 - The Katanas Come Out At Night

Had a solid win as the Russians...key to the defense is to ensure that the picket line leaves no gaps for the Japanese to infiltrate through without triggering an attack. From that moment, starshells and IR make transversing the scrub terrain a tough proposition for the Japanese. Thematically a lot of fun this scenario.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Got two F-to-F games in this week already, although with the same opponent, Dave Stephens. Homefield advantage and the favored side prevailed as I won Maczek Fire Brigade [J113] as the Poles at home on Monday and Dave beat me yesterday at his HQ in Reaping Rewards [AP45] as the Romanians. The former game was over quickly but I gave up on the last turn in the latter game when my suicide rush to take the needed buildings turned to mush. Dave managed to kill my three tanks with good gun placement and some nice "money" rolls. My "money" role was x-ing out my FT Tank on its first shot ?. I like both scenarios very much but would recommend the balancing in both.

Richard Weiley

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I completed two games over the weekend.

AP85 Slicing the Throat as the defending British. I couldn't establish a cohesive defence against well planned banzais. The green units performed to expectations, several disrupted and were taken prisoner.

Second game was the revised version of Counterstroke at Stonne from the new Croix De Guerre. My opponent had a good defence. He gave up the element of surprise with the guns by setting them up in flanking positions on the board 3 hills, which meant they were firing earlier and often as I crossed board 4. Lost too much infantry as I advanced toward the chateau and the left flank move with the green squads in trucks was also stymied. Only had about 10 squads in position to attack the chateau and 4 H39s had been knocked out by long range fire and CC, 2 Stugs were marauding through my backfield preventing stragglers from rallying and threatening my main assault from the rear. Didn't think I had sufficient strength remaining to take the chateau, let alone take buildings in the village, so I conceded in turn 6.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
I completed two games over the weekend.

AP85 Slicing the Throat as the defending British. I couldn't establish a cohesive defence against well planned banzais. The green units performed to expectations, several disrupted and were taken prisoner.

Second game was the revised version of Counterstroke at Stonne from the new Croix De Guerre. My opponent had a good defence. He gave up the element of surprise with the guns by setting them up in flanking positions on the board 3 hills, which meant they were firing earlier and often as I crossed board 4. Lost too much infantry as I advanced toward the chateau and the left flank move with the green squads in trucks was also stymied. Only had about 10 squads in position to attack the chateau and 4 H39s had been knocked out by long range fire and CC, 2 Stugs were marauding through my backfield preventing stragglers from rallying and threatening my main assault from the rear. Didn't think I had sufficient strength remaining to take the chateau, let alone take buildings in the village, so I conceded in turn 6.
Sounds pretty ugly when you've got enemy tanks in the backfield. Not good for rout paths either.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
He gave up the element of surprise with the guns by setting them up in flanking positions on the board 3 hills, which meant they were firing earlier and often as I crossed board 4.
I don't have the scenario handy but I seem to remember that no hills are in play for this scenario.