Help - trace this photo!

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Please assist in determining the location and date of this photograph. Grateful for any tips on sources and provenance.

Cheers!

- G

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
https://www.pinterest.jp/pin/572872015076843753/

That all you got? Where's Paul? I'm expecting an analysis of the helmet curves, indicating the period from the first half of December, 1941, when the Imperial Army Helmet Corps redesigned the Type 97 "Chi-Ca-Go" helmet to make it more rain-resistent in the Malayan monsoon season.

C'mon now, Klas, up your game!
Give Klas some slack. He is being ruthlessly efficient as ever.

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Appreciated, Klas. The Pinterest post links back to a Tumblr blog, but no indication of the original source or an exact date, much less the unit engaged. Still trying to figure out which road to Johor Bahru that might have been (I have my suspicions).

Appreciate any further leads!

[By the way Mods, this question is in regard to scenario research and design. It is not "Chit Chat." Yet another reason why my subscription will not be renewed.]​

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
[By the way Mods, this question is in regard to scenario research and design. It is not "Chit Chat." Yet another reason why my subscription will not be renewed.]
And the mods shall presage your unmentioned intentions how?

IMHO it does not make a difference where your post is listed as long as you get your answer. If it is so important to you to have it listed in the scenario design section, where I presume it has been moved from to Chit Chat, you could have mentioned the purpose of your question. [Edit: A day after this original post, the thread has apparently been moved back by the mods to its original position.]

Bytimes I have the impression that people elect to be offended.
You posted your question. You received an answer within 13 minutes.

Of course, it remains your decision to determine if the service of this forum is worth your money or not.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
And the mods shall presage your unmentioned intentions how?

IMHO it does not make a difference where your post is listed as long as you get your answer. If it is so important to you to have it listed in the scenario design section, where I presume it has been moved from to Chit Chat, you could have mentioned the purpose of your question.

Bytimes I have the impression that people elect to be offended.
You posted your question. You received an answer within 13 minutes.

Of course, it remains your decision to determine if the service of this forum is worth your money or not.

von Marwitz
And I was mightily grateful for that answer. :) Hoping to get more.

The action does not "offend," but it certainly does not come off as user-friendly. This was a serious question and it is still in search of serious answers. It did not deserve a heavy hand.

Of course the moderators might not have divined my intentions, but they also didn't bother to ask. Had someone inquired, I would have been happy to explain. Had someone asked me to use a different folder in the future, I would have complied.

There is a thread here in which users regularly post photographs of vehicles that other viewers try to identify. To date, this activity has not been labeled "Chit Chat," nor has the thread been moved. As it should be.

Oh, and by the way, von Marwitz and I are not fighting.

Last edited:

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Appreciated, Klas. The Pinterest post links back to a Tumblr blog, but no indication of the original source or an exact date, much less the unit engaged. Still trying to figure out which road to Johor Bahru that might have been (I have my suspicions).

Appreciate any further leads!

[By the way Mods, this question is in regard to scenario research and design. It is not "Chit Chat." Yet another reason why my subscription will not be renewed.]​
Hi George

Something that may or may not help

At the end of this Youtube you get a slight indication of the units - I like the youtube as it does break down much of the units - it does have an unusual sound track so you tolerate that - there is lots of info that may help

Cheers

Rob :)

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Hi George

Something that may or may not help...
Everything helps, Rob Will view and let you know if I find a nugget.

Have been doing research on Battle of Muar over several years now but this photo only came up recently. If it is what I think it is it will be a real gift. Should the date and location be verified then the unit(s) will become apparent.

Please keep the tips coming. Deeply grateful.

Grattang

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Trawling the Internet suggests that this image may relate to the action around Parit Sulong on the 18th - 20th January 1942. It has similarities to the images on Wiki of the Australian 2/4th Anti Tank regiment action on the 18th on the Maur - Parit Sulong Road, the straight road, ditches, short white edging posts and type of trees. It could well be on the 20th closer to the Parit Sulong bridge. The vehicles on the left and right edges certainly look like they could have towed an AT gun.

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Trawling the Internet suggests that this image may relate to the action around Parit Sulong on the 18th - 20th January 1942. It has similarities to the images on Wiki of the Australian 2/4th Anti Tank regiment action on the 18th on the Maur - Parit Sulong Road, the straight road, ditches, short white edging posts and type of trees. It could well be on the 20th closer to the Parit Sulong bridge. The vehicles on the left and right edges certainly look like they could have towed an AT gun.
Indeed, it is my suspicion that photo (whether staged or taken during the action) depicts Imperial Guards Division's 5th Regiment attack down the road toward Parit Sulong. Without source or provenance for the photo this remains a suspicion. Thanks for looking and hoping that by the time these scenarios mature we'll have an answer.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
That is probably the most candid combat photo of Japanese soldiers I've ever seen. Would be a fine image for a scenario card regardless of which action it depicts. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of Japanese soldiers (other than prisoners or dead) actually lying down - they are always marching somewhere, or charging with edged weapons for the propaganda photographer.

Last edited:

Grattang

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Maybe some clues on Andrew Warland's account or in his research sources : The Battle of Bakri, Malaya: 17 - 20 January 1942 (andrewwarland.com.au)
Also the Australian War Memorial site AWM52 8/3/19 - 2/19 Infantry Battalion | The Australian War Memorial and Virtual War Memorial | 2nd/19th Infantry Battalion (vwma.org.au)
Those are definitely rubber trees, the Japanese are on both sides of the road. There are other images of the Japanese roadblock at the Bridge which is more exposed. The wrecked vehicles look like Marmon-Herrington's and correspond with a failed attempt to withdraw along the road. The earlier action on images of the AT action further up the road can be found in the Imperial War Museums archive THE JAPANESE CONQUEST OF MALAYA, 1942 | Imperial War Museums (iwm.org.uk) and in a Pathe News reel ANZAC | Malaya-Eighth Division Story - YouTube. Other potential sources Malaya Campaign PME | The Principles of War Podcast. It must have come from somewhere.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That is probably the most candid combat photo of Japanese soldiers I've ever seen. Would be a fine image for a scenario card regardless of which action it depicts. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of Japanese soldiers actually lying down - they are always marching somewhere, or charging with edged weapons for the propaganda photographer.
one of my favs. He said he would surrender for a cigarette.

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
15563[/ATTACH]
This could be the parked vehicles just left of centre of your picture later in the day.
Lovely photograph. Pity there's no source information.

UPDATE: Good eye, Footsteps. I knew I shouldn't have commented from my phone.

Last edited: