The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Good morning to Italy and the AF team.

Could you perhaps provide a summary of how your operational rules work in generating scenarios, please?

I have played a number of games in the past that used a version of this and they had means of controlling how many 'higher' level units could enter a 'smaller' battle. This was done either by command control limits, activations limits or a form of 'stacking' limits (ie: a tank squadron takes more space to deploy than an artillery battery)

Cheers.

sebosebi

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Hello, scenarios are generated (or continued) when forces of both sides are in the same Op. Location at the beginning of the Operational Combat Phase, after the Op. Moving Phase. There is a stack limit for each side in a Location, plus there is a limit of units, always per side, that can enter a Location and remain there for each Turn, plus units can withdrawn from a Location at the end of the Combat Phase, with a limit too and being able to suffer damage in the process. For stacking purpose, we have two possible dimensions, COY and PLT. Three PLT make a COY. A COY is an Infantry company, a field Artillery battery (4 Guns), six to eight tanks group (so half Squadron or half Company). A PLT is an Intantry platoon, a field Artillery troop, three tanks or two to four AA/AT Guns. Unit dimension is given, so something that is a COY cannot split in PLTs and viceversa.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Thanks for that Brad.

For the operational level I am wondering about counter limits, stacking, command/control, movement, etc. In short how the game plays at the op level.

For example, if a light tank sqdn is represented in the game by 4-6 Mk VIb light tanks ("elements of") and two such squadrons show up in the same battle, how does this work with a counter mix of only 6 tanks provided in for FKaC?

Command control or stacking limits in the objective zones - how are units 'activated' to move? Could the British, for example, use the initial move at the start of the CG to swamp Halfaya Pass with an entire divisions and simply sweep aside the defenders.

How many operational level units can move at the same time? How many sub-units can fit on one area after a move?

Is this an "I Go, You Go" system with alternating moves on the op map? Does the side with the initiative move all their units and then the other player? Or is there an 'activation' system that triggers orders for a particular 'formation' that then moves. The other side then activates a formation for movement.

And so on and so on.

As I noted, the model is very interesting but it would be a good idea for the gents at Advancing Fire to post an AAR or detailed example of how the operational system works. Post #2 Sebosebi above adds some details but the example would go a long way to help.

Cheers.

sebosebi

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Thanks for that Brad.

For the operational level I am wondering about counter limits, stacking, command/control, movement, etc. In short how the game plays at the op level.

For example, if a light tank sqdn is represented in the game by 4-6 Mk VIb light tanks ("elements of") and two such squadrons show up in the same battle, how does this work with a counter mix of only 6 tanks provided in for FKaC?

Command control or stacking limits in the objective zones - how are units 'activated' to move? Could the British, for example, use the initial move at the start of the CG to swamp Halfaya Pass with an entire divisions and simply sweep aside the defenders.

How many operational level units can move at the same time? How many sub-units can fit on one area after a move?

Is this an "I Go, You Go" system with alternating moves on the op map? Does the side with the initiative move all their units and then the other player? Or is there an 'activation' system that triggers orders for a particular 'formation' that then moves. The other side then activates a formation for movement.

And so on and so on.

As I noted, the model is very interesting but it would be a good idea for the gents at Advancing Fire to post an AAR or detailed example of how the operational system works. Post #2 Sebosebi above adds some details but the example would go a long way to help.

Cheers.
Given that i cannot post Operational rules here, i said you before that there are stacking limits in each location, I add that there is an alternation of sequence of moves, the number of which, for each side, is given by DR, no activations are previewed, neither command & control (too short time and space are represented for that in our opinion), so no sub-units. Regarding the counters, if we have to take in account counters given in main modules, we should design only medium scenarios and not this kind of CG. In Halfaya South British could deploy units inside his stacking limits (four companies + a couple of support platoon/troops). We posted the beginning of an AAR on FB, currently we are working hard on new projects so i don't know if we will have time soon to post anything else.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Thanks for your prompt reply but I gave up on facebook years ago due to privacy issues.

Hopefully you can post an example of play some time soon (without posting the complete rule set).

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for that Brad.
You're welcome...and don't call me Brad. ? jk, the name is Neal.

I can't offer any more details than is in the video. I skimmed the rules quickly just to get feel of how it works, and I think I've captured it at a high level in the video... but I've not played Brevity Assault yet. The general feeling I get is that it could make for a very long CG if you play the version where you play an ASL tactical scenario for every operational level combat encounter.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
You're welcome...and don't call me Brad. ? jk, the name is Neal.

I can't offer any more details than is in the video. I skimmed the rules quickly just to get feel of how it works, and I think I've captured it at a high level in the video... but I've not played Brevity Assault yet. The general feeling I get is that it could make for a very long CG if you play the version where you play an ASL tactical scenario for every operational level combat encounter.
Neal, Brad. What's in a name? ??? I'd post some of my wife's terms of endearment for me but don't want to get kicked off the forum. ??

Starlancer

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Thanks Neal for your unboxing !! A real good video.
Just discovered it a few hours ago on the Gamer's armory shop before I went back here.
What a good product I've seen so far. Just what I'm needed with my Desert War project for my retirement.

Last edited: