Have you ever used VASL?

Have you ever used VASL (pick any that apply)?

• Yes, to play a game

• Yes, to watch others play

• Yes, for other purposes (i.e. using the map and counter art)

• No, I've never used VASL

Results are only viewable after voting.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
A good point. I always liked the big, lots of turns scenarios. Their popularity seems to have taken a nosedive. Understandable as players don't seem to have the time for monsters anymore.
I think another reason is that they may no longer be balanced if you play them with the current style.
Nowadays, ASL is much more considered a game of movement and less of shooting as it used to be.

As pensatl1962 has pointed out, he was tackling the 15 round scenario as if it were a 10 round one. That, he says, might have been a bit rash. But I reckon if he had taken a bit more time to avoid unneccessary losses, he still might have made it in 12 turns. In other words, these old big scenarios might give the attacker much more time that is needed when playing the current style of ASL.

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I think another reason is that they may no longer be balanced if you play them with the current style.
Nowadays, ASL is much more considered a game of movement and less of shooting as it used to be.

As pensatl1962 has pointed out, he was tackling the 15 round scenario as if it were a 10 round one. That, he says, might have been a bit rash. But I reckon if he had taken a bit more time to avoid unneccessary losses, he still might have made it in 12 turns. In other words, these old big scenarios might give the attacker much more time that is needed when playing the current style of ASL.

von Marwitz
I'll have to talk this over with Captain Bacchus. I don't know how modern players approach the game as opposed to how it was played in ancient times. I'm fairly sure we were aware of the concept of maneuver and probably even employed it upon occasion ???. Perhaps some of the old timers with clearer recall of those bygone days can offer an assessment.

I'm still inclined to the view that todays players don't have the time and energy to tackle these monsters. Some were truly gigantic and we only played them once. Clearing the Breskins Pocket and The Scheldt ( ? ) Estuary were two IIRC. Interesting to ponder this question over a bottle or two of Moulon Chateau de Quesnoy-Rothschild !??!???

Once again a very compelling story of your relative. Was he a von Marwitz also?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I'm still inclined to the view that todays players don't have the time and energy to tackle these monsters. Some were truly gigantic and we only played them once. Clearing the Breskins Pocket and The Scheldt ( ? ) Estuary were two IIRC. Interesting to ponder this question over a bottle or two of Moulon Chateau de Quesnoy-Rothschild !??!???
Hah! An excellent vintage! Maybe I should get my orderly Koch together with your Captain Bacchus. Koch as a knack of unearthing such bottles seemingly out of nowhere.

But to the point: Even if maybe only 12 rounds might be required instead of 15 when playing the 'modern' movement-oriented style and optimizing setups 'to gain a half turn's time' I do share your assessment that most people would pass such large scenarios. 12 turns with many units is still too long for tournaments and most face-to-face sessions that would have to be finished in a day. Tournament fare is shorter. And if people want to play something 'long' they probably venture to historical modules or campaign games nowadays.

In fact, von Marwitz is not my actual name but only my alias here. However, at times it seems that this alias has developed a life of its own. This alias was created years ago for a tank rumble in which each player commanded a tank and communication within the teams was limited to several command nets. Being part of - naturally - the German forces, I selected a harsh sounding German name including a 'von' which usually indicates noble lineage as to create a certain picture of my Prussian tank-commander in the minds of the other players. This worked quite well. And apparently still does. ;)

That said, there there is a very old noble line in Germany that is called 'von der Marwitz' from which stem around a dozen generals over the centuries.

To differentiate my alias 'von Marwitz' from the real 'von der Marwitz' family, I deliberately left out the 'der'.

While the actual noble line of 'von der Marwitz' is first mentioned in 1259, the 'first mentioning' of my alias 'von Marwitz' only dates back a somewhat over 20 years - and as such back to the last millenium anyhow. ?

Usually I preserve my privacy in the internet and restrict my real name to face-to-face communication. As such, my great uncle was not a 'von Marwitz' either.

To console your dashed illusions about my particular ancestry, I might at least mention that in my younger days I did indulge in fencing-duels of the traditional kind with razor sharp blades against nobility among others.

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I'll have to talk this over with Captain Bacchus. I don't know how modern players approach the game as opposed to how it was played in ancient times. I'm fairly sure we were aware of the concept of maneuver and probably even employed it upon occasion ???. Perhaps some of the old timers with clearer recall of those bygone days can offer an assessment.

Might have been Scheldt Fortress South or both.

Some ancient monsters:

Operation Switchback R218 18 turns

Clearing the Breskins Pocket R220
18 turns, 16 boards!!!!!!

Ad Hoc at Beaurains scenario 20
15 turns

Big stuff all from the early days. I wonder when the last time was that Clearing the Breskins Pocket was played?

One of VASLs advantages, I assume, is that these monsters could be played over several sittings without taking up the dining room table for a couple weeks.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
[QUOTE="von Marwitz, post: 2027860, member:

To console your dashed illusions about my particular ancestry, I might at least mention that in my younger days I did indulge in fencing-duels of the traditional kind with razor sharp blades against nobility among others.

von Marwitz
[/QUOTE]
Lmao! Do you have the required facial scar?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Hah! An excellent vintage! Maybe I should get my orderly Koch together with your Captain Bacchus. Koch as a knack of unearthing such bottles seemingly out of nowhere.

But to the point: Even if maybe only 12 rounds might be required instead of 15 when playing the 'modern' movement-oriented style and optimizing setups 'to gain a half turn's time' I do share your assessment that most people would pass such large scenarios. 12 turns with many units is still too long for tournaments and most face-to-face sessions that would have to be finished in a day. Tournament fare is shorter. And if people want to play something 'long' they probably venture to historical modules or campaign games nowadays.

In fact, von Marwitz is not my actual name but only my alias here. However, at times it seems that this alias has developed a life of its own. This alias was created years ago for a tank rumble in which each player commanded a tank and communication within the teams was limited to several command nets. Being part of - naturally - the German forces, I selected a harsh sounding German name including a 'von' which usually indicates noble lineage as to create a certain picture of my Prussian tank-commander in the minds of the other players. This worked quite well. And apparently still does. ;)

That said, there there is a very old noble line in Germany that is called 'von der Marwitz' from which stem around a dozen generals over the centuries.

To differentiate my alias 'von Marwitz' from the real 'von der Marwitz' family, I deliberately left out the 'der'.

While the actual noble line of 'von der Marwitz' is first mentioned in 1259, the 'first mentioning' of my alias 'von Marwitz' only dates back a somewhat over 20 years - and as such back to the last millenium anyhow. ?

Usually I preserve my privacy in the internet and restrict my real name to face-to-face communication. As such, my great uncle was not a 'von Marwitz' either.

von Marwitz
I'll talk to the Captain. He's usually up for an expedition of acquisition.

My maternal side was Vandrew, Americanized Van Drew. My name or nickname has been butchered my whole life, I am used to it. Your use of an alias is ok by me, I like it and the story behind it.
Apologies for my inappropriate question about your family. I sometimes get caught up in the moment and forget proper etiquette. ?

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Lmao! Do you have the required facial scar?
It is not 'required' nor even wanted except by a very few crazies. But you will get hit if your guard is down. It is a question of timing and a centimeter or two. The results can be very bloody and most unpleasant. That is why the presence of one doctor per side is mandatory who will break off the duel in case it is medically not defensible to carry on. Besides you are absolutely forbidden to flinch even if you see a hit coming because this would besmirch your honor and might lead to expulsion. Personally, I was lucky to get through with only a minor scar at the temple. On the other hand, I have seen people pass out from pain and blood loss while being stitched up without anesthesia. You took practice pretty seriously after that, I'll tell you.

Apologies for my inappropriate question about your family. I sometimes get caught up in the moment and forget proper etiquette.
No worries, mate.

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Danke.

Lol hope that's right. 8th grade German class was a long time ago!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Could VASL support Clearing the Breskins Pocket? Asked this on the Monster Scenario thread Captain Bacchus started.

Does VASL support 3 or more players? CtBP seems made as a 4 or even 6 player scenario.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I see no reason why VASL shouldn't be able to do so.

What might theoretically be troublesome is if the same board is used multiple times and you then attempt to place overlays by the 'old' method. Should work by drag/drop (the 'new' method).

von Marwitz

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

von Marwitz
Monocle?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Sometimes ultimate style is exemplified by moderation. ?
Well put, indeed.

They also demanded that this year - in which GRENADIER has been cancelled due to Corona for the first time since 1998 - I should bring a fire-place.

Only, because last year I spread out a carpet - which they demanded a year before last - beneath the playing table next to the bookshelf I brought for my kit.

Where will these demands end? If would finally decide to invade, I reckon people would not be happy and complain about the Germans.

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Does VASL support 3 or more players? CtBP seems made as a 4 or even 6 player scenario.
It should do so.

If every player uses a different password for his account, only he will be able to see 'beneath' the Concealment he creates. In case team play is required, then each member of one team would have to set an identical password to allow for seeing 'beneath' the Concealment any one of them has created.

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Well put, indeed.

They also demanded that this year - in which GRENADIER has been cancelled due to Corona for the first time since 1998 - I should bring a fire-place.

Only, because last year I spread out a carpet - which they demanded a year before last - beneath the playing table next to the bookshelf I brought for my kit.

Where will these demands end? If would finally decide to invade, I reckon people would not be happy and complain about the Germans.

von Marwitz
Ah, the burdens of a commanding style.??

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
It is not 'required' nor even wanted except by a very few crazies. But you will get hit if your guard is down. It is a question of timing and a centimeter or two. The results can be very bloody and most unpleasant. That is why the presence of one doctor per side is mandatory who will break off the duel in case it is medically not defensible to carry on. Besides you are absolutely forbidden to flinch even if you see a hit coming because this would besmirch your honor and might lead to expulsion. Personally, I was lucky to get through with only a minor scar at the temple. On the other hand, I have seen people pass out from pain and blood loss while being stitched up without anesthesia. You took practice pretty seriously after that, I'll tell you.

No worries, mate.

von Marwitz
Yeah. No need to reserve me a spot.

Juzek

Steve Kyle
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I prefer face to face play, but VASL has allowed me to play a lot more games, even before Covid struck. My only gripe is that the counters cover more of the hex than is the case for FTF. I guess its because the counter images have to be larger in order to be legible, but it is a little harder to see the terrain under the counters than it is when playing FTF. There is also something about the "big picture" view you have in person that is different than VASL. But again, I've been able to play a lot more games because VASL is an option.

Regarding the social aspect, my opponents and I also connect over Skype, so we still can catch up, and trash-talk when its appropriate.

To those who maintain and update the VASL mod, thank you.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
it is a little harder to see the terrain under the counters than it is when playing FTF.

You are aware that with the marked button you can switch between blending out counters, blending out counters AND draggable overlays, and showing everything?

Besides on a 'mouse over' the terrain of the hex will be displayed along with the units stacked within.

There is also something about the "big picture" view you have in person that is different than VASL.
This is true. The "big picture" view is better when playing with real components compared to VASL for bigger scenarios in which the playing area exceeds your screen size while using the normal zoom level of 100%.

Regarding the social aspect, my opponents and I also connect over Skype, so we still can catch up, and trash-talk when its appropriate.
A couple of years ago, some opponents I played still only used the log. However, adding 'voice' by means of Skype or other services without doubt increases the enjoyment [EXC: visitors to the room, for which it might be somewhat difficult to follow without 'voice'.]

von Marwitz