Where oh Where are the scenarios with a dozen plus PzII's

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Ok,.... I left that video after the mention of the "Matador's Cloak".

That is a myth that is simply not supported by the facts. The Germans had begun modifying their plans for the attack in the west before the Mechelen Incident. The allies were not drawn into Belgium by the German plan, they fully intended to occupy the Dyle Line (Plan D) as it was the most intelligent choice available for keeping the battle away from French industrial, resource and population centres.

Manstein himself states:

"In point of fact this misfortune did not lead to any alteration of the operational plan, though it may well have increased the readiness of Hitler and OKH to entertain our Army Group's proposals later on. As it was, a Commander-in-Chief's conference in Bad Godesberg on 25th January of generals commanding Army Groups A and B and their subordinate armies revealed no change in the O.K.H. basic attitude though the meeting took place some considerable time after the mishap in question, the tasks of the army groups and armies remained the same as before." (Page 118-119, "Lost Victories", Erich von Manstein)
I wrote the following two pieces 15 and 12 years ago and while they are not about Hannut itself they do challenge the standard view of western campaign in 1940 (note that I would update both in light of more recent research given the time and inclination).

French doctrinal development:

https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/historical-events-eras/world-war-ii/22293-france-military-planning-before-1940-part-1-of-3

Plan D vs Fall Gelb:

https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/historical-events-eras/world-war-ii/47603-opposing-plans-and-the-battle-of-france

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Hi All

The latest LC product "Blitzkrieg in the West" has a nice one with 8 PzIIAs - its quite a nice test of the mass of PzII's particulary if you have some left from the campaign game and add them in - can't wait to play it

Cheers

Rob :)

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
DYO or modify Hill 621 as May 1940 Germans attacking British with Matildas. Should work. Actually sounds interesting and would make a nice compare and contrast AAR.
Hill 621 not the scenario I was thinking of. OMLI. Old man losing it.

Scenario had a ton of T-34s attacking Germans on hill with Tigers. Think intro talked about fire brigade plugging holes in the line. Any clue?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The "Paw of the Tiger" ;)

"Tiger, Tiger" is the same idea but with KV tanks.

Both are fun tank v tank bashes.
Paw of the Tiger sounds correct. Substitute British with Matildas for Germans and Germans with Pz IIs for the Russians. That sounds fun!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Hill 621 not the scenario I was thinking of. OMLI. Old man losing it.

Scenario had a ton of T-34s attacking Germans on hill with Tigers. Think intro talked about fire brigade plugging holes in the line. Any clue?
One of the major differences between Fish and I was his amazing memory and recall. I don't have that ability, my apologies. He would have known the scenario right off and probably how I had jicked him with long range CH against his Tiger.

At the 25th Oktoberfest we played for the first time since June of 1995. The scenario was Guards Counterattack and Fish pulled the pieces, put them in their correct locations all from memory while I looked on with the scenario card. Perry mentioned it in our 2 Half Squad's interview. Just amazing recall, neither he or I knew we were going to play.

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Daryl, there was a series replay in one of the Annuals of that game wasn't there?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Daryl, there was a series replay in one of the Annuals of that game wasn't there?
Thank you for the recall of the Serious Replay as we called it. The replay was of the DASL scenario Guryev's Headquarters. Quite proud of it although 90% of the work and credit belong to Mark Nixon.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Unable to access scenario archive. OMOOT. Can someone give me OB for Paw of the Tiger? Thanks!

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Ah, that's right. Guryev's. Another classic. Doesn't take long to get to the action in that one - my kind of scenario!

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Paw of the Tiger

Looks like...

Sovs
6 x T43
6 x T34 M41
6 x T34 M43

Krauts
2 x Tigers
2 x PzIIIJ
1 x 37mm Pak gun manned by a very nervous crew

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
3 boards, one of them is board 2.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Scenarion F from the ASL Classic Magazine Boards 5 , 4 and 2.

Russians come from the forest, cross the open ground and must exit 7 of tanks if the Germans have at least one mobile AFV, or 1 tank if all the German vehicles are at least immobilised.

German OB has the above mentioned tanks (but they have 2 x Pz IIIM with 75*, not the Pz IIIJ (50L)) and gun as well a rifle platoon with MMG, 9-2, 8-1, radio and 150mm OBA (HE/Smoke)

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Unable to access scenario archive. OMOOT. Can someone give me OB for Paw of the Tiger? Thanks!
As The Purist has noted the scenario is from the ASL Classics. These may be downloaded free from the MMP ASL Downloads section on their site. If you haven't been there before go to "Support">"ASL/ASLSK">"ASL Official Downloads">"Scenarios From ASL Classics".

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
As The Purist has noted the scenario is from the ASL Classics. These may be downloaded free from the MMP ASL Downloads section on their site. If you haven't been there before go to "Support">"ASL/ASLSK">"ASL Official Downloads">"Scenarios From ASL Classics".
Thanks, I may give it a shot.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Ah, that's right. Guryev's. Another classic. Doesn't take long to get to the action in that one - my kind of scenario!
Great scenario, plenty of action right off the bat. I think we played it 7 times before the replay.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Scenarion F from the ASL Classic MagazineBoards 5 , 4 and 2.

Russians come from the forest, cross the open ground and must exit 7 of tanks if the Germans have at least one mobile AFV, or 1 tank if all the German vehicles are at least immobilised.

German OB has the above mentioned tanks (but they have 2 x Pz IIIM with 75*, not the Pz IIIJ (50L)) and gun as well a rifle platoon with MMG, 9-2, 8-1, radio and 150mm OBA (HE/Smoke)
If revising this to British with Matildas on defense what would the Brits get as substitutes for the Pz IIIs? What about the mix of Pz IIs? Very intrigued by this, hope someone gives it a try.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Not equivalent battles.

A T-34 can DI a Pz VI but a Mk II could not DI a Matilda,.. ever.

Likewise, a flank shot from a T-34 can kill a Pz VI but a flank shot from a Mk II does nothing.

A critical hit from a T-34 v Pz VI will mean a dead Pz VI. A critical hit from a Pz II v Matilda II would only kill on a 2 or 3, immobilise on a 4.

In short, two Matilda II would mop the floor with 18 Pz II much more effectively than two Pz VI could v 18 T34.