Collecting ASL

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Remember collect-ability isn't just about age, rarity, and shrinkwrap, it's about finding modules that have a connection with the history they represent.

I myself have been fortunate to collect some modules that are arguably themselves a part of history.

1) A Bridge Too Far by MMP possibly owned by Field Marshall Montgomery.
Box and game in excellent condition, contains no SS counters.

2) A rare soviet copy of Red Barricades, reputedly owned by Nikita Khrushchev.
Fair condition, complete, this is a heavily played copy. Please note that in this version:
Soviet SMC's Cpt. Yershov, Lt. Hankinski, Lt. Mayak, Sgt. Soukop, Cpl. Bassinki, plus MMC's QQ, SS, TT, XX and their families do not exist.

3) General George S Patton's copy of GI: Anvil of Victory by Avalon Hill (unfortunately he passed before ASL was released).
Some box damage, ivory dice, US counters are in stainless steel.

4) An early french copy of Croix de Guerre.
Like new, some corner damage from where the box was dropped. Once.

What rare and interesting ASL modules have you collected?

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'm still looking for the very early, "hyper-realistic", version of Hollow Legions. That's the one where the counters are... um... hollow, and can't be stacked, the SMC are notable by their complete absense, and the Broken/Wreck sides are printed/die-cut on top. There is one SMC, however: an 8"x8" counter of Il Duce, rendered in exquisite detail, but lacking any combat values. The entire package is extremely fragile, and few copies have held up under even gentle handling. A true rarity.

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Please no politics!
Remember collect-ability isn't just about age, rarity, and shrinkwrap, it's about finding modules that have a connection with the history they represent.

I myself have been fortunate to collect some modules that are arguably themselves a part of history.

1) A Bridge Too Far by MMP possibly owned by Field Marshall Montgomery.
Box and game in excellent condition, contains no SS counters.

2) A rare soviet copy of Red Barricades, reputedly owned by Nikita Khrushchev.
Fair condition, complete, this is a heavily played copy. Please note that in this version:
Soviet SMC's Cpt. Yershov, Lt. Hankinski, Lt. Mayak, Sgt. Soukop, Cpl. Bassinki, plus MMC's QQ, SS, TT, XX and their families do not exist.

3) General George S Patton's copy of GI: Anvil of Victory by Avalon Hill (unfortunately he passed before ASL was released).
Some box damage, ivory dice, US counters are in stainless steel.

4) An early french copy of Croix de Guerre.
Like new, some corner damage from where the box was dropped. Once.

What rare and interesting ASL modules have you collected?
You can put these on eBay along with the machine gun "never fired, dropped twice".

Last edited by a moderator:

Futbol

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
a Soldiers of the Negus copy taken into exile with Haile Salassie thats on my list

Futbol

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rumors abound of a copy of Critical Hit's "Tyrant's Lair the Fall of Berlin" that is reputed to have been either destroyed by Hitler himself, or that ended up somewhere in Argentina after the war.

Futbol

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe not an ASL module but I owned a copy of Luftwaffe! signed by Herman Goering

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
A pair of Soviet "ASL 30th Anniversary" Battledice used by Zhukov to direct his units in Operation Bagration, rolled for direction and distance.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Well, Guy Sajer gave me his copy Cross Of Iron. No one can top that.
Got a German text copy of Tigers in the Mud by Otto Carius signed by the man himself when I went to meet him ...

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I will not part with my "Tank Tipping Staff" (TTS) that came with MY "Signature" edition of "Soldiers of the Negus".

This limited edition (only three produced) came with a "Certificate of Authenticity", signed by Haile Salassie….

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Emperor Nero's first edition copy of Advanced Cohort Leader. Good used condition, slightly scorched.

Jim B

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I have shrink-wrapped editions of SK 1-4 in my stash. I'm 70 with a pacemaker....but I remain optimistic about resale value. Perhaps I should consult the close combat odds table?