Bounding Fire 2020 - Blackpool, UK. November 2020

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Hi everyone. I hope you all remain well in these strange time.

Good news. Having spoken to Charles at the hotel last week he has confirmed that they aim to open in July, and expects to be able to host our tournament in November as things currently stand.

We'll send further details over the forthcoming weeks as things begin to progress.

As a reminder the dates are 18th to 22nd November 2020.

The hotel details:

Please book directly with the Hotel (there are no up front payments so no risks incumbent in pre-booking).
01253 341179
info@theheadlandsblackpool.co.uk
Full address:-
611 New South Promenade, Blackpool, FY4 1NJ
That's all for now. Hope to see you all soon.

Regards

Martin/Simon

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Bumping this.

Bounding Fire Blackpool remains ON as things stand and as we continue to gradually relax lockdown it's looking more and more likely as time passes.

The scenarios are almost ready. Having great fun at the moment playtesting them with friends and foes.

I'll get a circular out soon with base details of scenarios so you can come lightly armed if required.

All the best

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
Bounding Fire Blackpool remains ON as things stand and as we continue to gradually relax lockdown it's looking more and more likely as time passes.
than you for this, Mr. Gulagwanker.

This ASL-Player has a great need to start going to tournaments again.

For that to happen, though, both the country of residence of the self-named Gulagwanker and the country of residence of the man who gave him the idea to take that name would have to “wank away” a lot more Covid viruses. Sad.

Toby Pilling

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'll be there. Assuming you still have an unpublished scenario each round, I still find it a uniquely challenging ASL experience. Well done to you and Simon for organising it and keep up the good work!

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
If things settle down in the UK, I am going to try and make this one. Fingers crossed. -- jim

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I'll be there. Assuming you still have an unpublished scenario each round, I still find it a uniquely challenging ASL experience. Well done to you and Simon for organising it and keep up the good work!
Would you like an event with all unpublished scenarios or is one enough?

What appeal does the unpublished scenario have for you?

Good luck at the tournament and let us know how you kicked butt on the unpublished one.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Yep. Unpublished and unplayed. There'll be no large scenarios this year though :D:D

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Would you like an event with all unpublished scenarios or is one enough?

What appeal does the unpublished scenario have for you?

Good luck at the tournament and let us know how you kicked butt on the unpublished one.
Hi. Just to clarify. All five scenarios used in the tournament are unpublished and un-played.

From the TD point of view. People seem to like the unique challenge. They get to see the scenarios just prior to the start of play. And, whilst there's no real heavy enforcement of timing rules there are, in principle set up times (20 Minutes for defender/10 minutes for attacker) and strictly enforced finish times.

More than one player has commented on the idea that they FEEL this gives them a more level playing field. It's rare, and unlikely, that there'd ever be some kind of "secret setup" for example, where a group of players have found a way of breaking a scenario's balance. Although, of course, the top players such as Toby could still spot something (and if they did, then Bounding Fire would be grateful no doubt for the intel). Although, after two previous years of this experiment the 'cream has still risen to the top' with Toby winning two years back and Craig Benn winning last year. Both players high up in the rankings, Toby the best player in the UK.

Some players have even commented that they enjoy the fact that they have no preparation time leading into the tournament. They can just rock up and play, knowing that their opponent is in the same boat. At least one UK player has been brought into the fold of tournament play on the basis that previously there was "no point entering" (because they could not prepare). And when the TDs know exactly what scenarios are to be played in what order, then we can alert players of what they need to bring to reduce on the stuff they need to carry. A number of players appreciate that.

One of the most important parts of all this for us though is the fact that the entire tournament contributes back into the hobby. We ask for feedback on each scenario from each player. This goes back to Rick and Chas at Bounding Fire after the event. And they will, and have, made last minute amendments to scenarios where such feedback has justified it. Schmidt's Roadblock out of Onslaught to Orsha is a great example. This was one of the scenarios played last year. Despite most of these scenarios being more or less 'final and ready' for publication a number of players commented on balance. BFP therefore made some changes prior to publication.

We also feature a 'guest designer' scenario each year. Ian Willey designs scenarios and has had a number published. Both of his scenarios used in 2018 and 2019 have been/are being published. The tournament feedback has proven invaluable in terms of fine tuning.

Last edited:

Toby Pilling

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
They get to see the scenarios just prior to the start of play.
You're going back to unveiling each scenario just before the start of the round? That's much better - last year some players were able to play a sort 'practise' game before the final round. Having just a few minutes to assess the scenario leads to a more level playing field, methinks.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Hi. Just to clarify. All five scenarios used in the tournament are unpublished and un-played.

From the TD point of view. People seem to like the unique challenge. They get to see the scenarios just prior to the start of play. And, whilst there's no real heavy enforcement of timing rules there are, in principle set up times (20 Minutes for defender/10 minutes for attacker) and strictly enforced finish times.

More than one player has commented on the idea that they FEEL this gives them a more level playing field. It's rare, and unlikely, that there'd ever be some kind of "secret setup" for example, where a group of players have found a way of breaking a scenario's balance. Although, of course, the top players such as Toby could still spot something (and if they did, then Bounding Fire would be grateful no doubt for the intel). Although, after two previous years of this experiment the 'cream has still risen to the top' with Toby winning two years back and Craig Benn winning last year. Both players high up in the rankings, Toby the best player in the UK.

Some players have even commented that they enjoy the fact that they have no preparation time leading into the tournament. They can just rock up and play, knowing that their opponent is in the same boat. At least one UK player has been brought into the fold of tournament play on the basis that previously there was "no point entering" (because they could not prepare). And when the TDs know exactly what scenarios are to be played in what order, then we can alert players of what they need to bring to reduce on the stuff they need to carry. A number of players appreciate that.

One of the most important parts of all this for us though is the fact that the entire tournament contributes back into the hobby. We ask for feedback on each scenario from each player. This goes back to Rick and Chas at Bounding Fire after the event. And they will, and have, made last minute amendments to scenarios where such feedback has justified it. Schmidt's Roadblock out of Onslaught to Orsha is a great example. This was one of the scenarios played last year. Despite most of these scenarios being more or less 'final and ready' for publication a number of players commented on balance. BFP therefore made some changes prior to publication.

We also feature a 'guest designer' scenario each year. Ian Willey designs scenarios and has had a number published. Both of his scenarios used in 2018 and 2019 have been/are being published. The tournament feedback has proven invaluable in terms of fine tuning.
I asked because way back in the SL days all tournament scenarios ( at least the ones I attended ) were unpublished. Some were good and some were not so good and unsuitable for a tournament.

You guys appear to have overcome the downside of unpublished scenarios judging by the positive responses of your attendees. Well done you.

The point of players enjoying the lack of ability to prep because of the " fog " of unpublished scenarios is interesting. With the large number of scenarios available it would seem to be easy for two players to find a scenario neither had played.

One of the issues bitd was that the scenarios were hopefully playtested and those who did the playtests would sometimes play in the event giving them an unfair advantage. It seems this is no longer a problem.

Good luck with your event! Hope it goes well and all attendees have a great time.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
You're going back to unveiling each scenario just before the start of the round? That's much better - last year some players were able to play a sort 'practise' game before the final round. Having just a few minutes to assess the scenario leads to a more level playing field, methinks.
I think so. More exciting. I'm easily excited though :D

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
I asked because way back in the SL days all tournament scenarios ( at least the ones I attended ) were unpublished. Some were good and some were not so good and unsuitable for a tournament.

You guys appear to have overcome the downside of unpublished scenarios judging by the positive responses of your attendees. Well done you.

The point of players enjoying the lack of ability to prep because of the " fog " of unpublished scenarios is interesting. With the large number of scenarios available it would seem to be easy for two players to find a scenario neither had played.

One of the issues bitd was that the scenarios were hopefully playtested and those who did the playtests would sometimes play in the event giving them an unfair advantage. It seems this is no longer a problem.

Good luck with your event! Hope it goes well and all attendees have a great time.
Yes. I think two tournaments in and I've a decent feel now for what will work and what won't. Took a risk last year with one of the scenarios (threw a very large one in to be played fast) and it didn't work out. But lived and learnt.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Yes. I think two tournaments in and I've a decent feel now for what will work and what won't. Took a risk last year with one of the scenarios (threw a very large one in to be played fast) and it didn't work out. But lived and learnt.
It is definitely a learning process. You try something to see if it works and if people like it. We had several ideas that didn't work well, as you said live and learn. The key is to learn and apply those lessons to put out a better product.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Took a risk last year with one of the scenarios (threw a very large one in to be played fast) and it didn't work out. But lived and learnt.
You lived but still bear the scars Martin :) How is the PTSD ?

"Schmidt's Roadblock out of Onslaught to Orsha is a great example. This was one of the scenarios played last year. Despite most of these scenarios being more or less 'final and ready' for publication a number of players commented on balance. BFP therefore made some changes prior to publication."

I think what you meant to say was that there was a large amount of whinging (translation for US readers = whining) on that one. In fact I seem to remember a whole lot of whinging going on for the whole tournament...............

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If things settle down in the UK, I am going to try and make this one. Fingers crossed. -- jim
You would be better going to Double One if possible.

That statement is not a reflection on Martin and Simon who do a great job with Bounding Fire. Double One is in the summer and if you have time to look around the UK it is better to do that in June than in a wet, rainy and cold November. It is also closer to Bovington Tank Museum - a must see if you come to the UK. Also a short train ride to London from the tourny.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
You would be better going to Double One if possible.

That statement is not a reflection on Martin and Simon who do a great job with Bounding Fire. Double One is in the summer and if you have time to look around the UK it is better to do that in June than in a wet, rainy and cold November. It is also closer to Bovington Tank Museum - a must see if you come to the UK. Also a short train ride to London from the tourny.
Joe. As Marketing Director for Bounding Fire Blackpool. I'm afraid you're fired.

I'm not sure proximity to Bovington Tank Museum is salient. Intensive Fire was situated 20 minutes away from it....and ceased to exist because people stopped turning up for it. Double One is nearly three hours drive away.

Also...Double One two years back saw the village flooded. It ain't just November in Blackpool where it rains.

Finally. Dare I day it. Double One didn't happen this year. Bounding Fire might. But not if people listen to your sage advice and decide to wait for Double One 2021 !

:D

Last edited:

Toby Pilling

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It would be great to see you in sunny Blackpool! If you can make it, let's try to book in a friendly game before the tournament proper starts. I do find the format of the Bounding Fire tournament very refreshing as it requires no advance preparation whatsoever. I also find the process of bidding on and playing fresh scenarios tests a different part of the ASL brain, so to speak.

Toby

Last edited:

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
It would be great to see you in sunny Blackpool! If you can make it, let's try to book in a friendly game before the tournament proper starts. I do find the format of the Bounding Fire tournament very refreshing as it requires no advance preparation whatsoever. I find the process of bidding on and playing fresh scenarios tests a different part of the ASL brain, so to speak.

Toby
Interesting you mention bidding. Do you think an ABS bidding system would add, or detract?

Thanks for your support here (and for the previous two years) Toby.

Toby Pilling

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I suppose choosing sides is sort of bidding, even if the balance is minimal - often battle hardening a 7-0 leader, as I recall. The problem with ABS bids is that it will interfere with the feedback to HoB regarding the balance of their scenarios. I think we just have to take the rough with the smooth, although being able to battle-harden 8-0 or 8-1 leaders too might be slightly more useful.