Menage a trois ASL, blind play, team play, etc.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
That's how I assumed it would be when I first read the scenarios, but both my opponents interpreted it as I mentioned above, so I went with the flow.
These really are great, I wish there were more of them. Which one were you playing?
Your wish can be easily fulfilled, just design one, or more, yourself.

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
A maze of twisty little passages, all alike
Country
llAustralia
Which one were you playing?
The Dogs Of War. I think it's one of the classic 3-way scenarios. It was a hoot, because it's really difficult for each player. The Partisans are initially sitting pretty in the middle of the board, but they have 2 opponents closing in from opposite sides, and once they reach the middle, everyone's just blasting away at everyone else :)

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Check out the book " Spearhead ", the story behind this picture. Good read.
Yes, actually I just finished it a few weeks ago, really great story. I was aware of the film sequence from which this is taken but didn't know any of the back story, hadn't appreciated that it was one of the few Pershings to see WW2 action that fired the shots. And the Panther commander chooses not to fire first because he doesn't recognise the Pershing and thinks it's German.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Your wish can be easily fulfilled, just design one, or more, yourself.
Do players do DYO anymore? By that I mean a non-historical, assign some points buy some cool units and have some fun. We would do a DYO when we needed a break from ASL reality. Quite the hoot as we never tried to be " historically correct ". Finnish cavalry ski troops at night with deep Snow was one I recall.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Yes, actually I just finished it a few weeks ago, really great story. I was aware of the film sequence from which this is taken but didn't know any of the back story, hadn't appreciated that it was one of the few Pershings to see WW2 action that fired the shots. And the Panther commander chooses not to fire first because he doesn't recognise the Pershing and thinks it's German.
One of the more enjoyable books I have read lately.

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Do players do DYO anymore? By that I mean a non-historical, assign some points buy some cool units and have some fun. We would do a DYO when we needed a break from ASL reality. Quite the hoot as we never tried to be " historically correct ". Finnish cavalry ski troops at night with deep Snow was one I recall.
This would be a good way to do team or 3-way scenarios, just let the points allocation take care of balancing the scenario. Sort of like multiplayer Squadbleeder.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Did anybody mention the Tank Rumbles of the mid 90's? Can't recall who put it together but it wuz essentially a referred gig, using tanks, between teams of players played on VASL via PBEM. The Ref told you what you saw when you saw it.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Did anybody mention the Tank Rumbles of the mid 90's? Can't recall who put it together but it wuz essentially a referred gig, using tanks, between teams of players played on VASL via PBEM. The Ref told you what you saw when you saw it.
I really like the idea of refereed games. I didn't realize VASL and PBEM was around in the 90s. When did it start.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I really like the idea of refereed games. I didn't realize VASL and PBEM was around in the 90s. When did it start.
There were only one or two Rumbles that actually got off the ground that I recall. Probably a bear to referee and trying to run herd on teams of 3-4 players on each side playing PBEM was probably just a touch harder than herding cats...but VASL does put it within grasp.

Don't recall the exact dates but it was sometime in the 90's when I wuz in grad school in Bozeman which was '92 - '97/'98. I recall the very early days of VASL which was right about that time frame.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
There were only one or two Rumbles that actually got off the ground that I recall. Probably a bear to referee and trying to run herd on teams of 3-4 players on each side playing PBEM was probably just a touch harder than herding cats...but VASL does put it within grasp.

Don't recall the exact dates but it was sometime in the 90's when I wuz in grad school in Bozeman which was '92 - '97/'98
The key to herding cats is to attempt it at chow time and watch your step.

The Rumbles sounds like a good time even given the lack of technical sophistication back then. You have to start somewhere.

Sean Deller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is this how others have done it? Or should it be 'weapons free' for anybody to fire at anybody else in the DFPh and CCPh?
No, the DFPh and CCPh are "weapons free" (i.e., each DEFENDER can fire/attack any target he wishes). (NOTE: This is not true for FB14).

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
No, the DFPh and CCPh are "weapons free" (i.e., each DEFENDER can fire/attack any target he wishes). (NOTE: This is not true for FB14).
And this makes these scenarios brutal. You cannot skulk efficiently.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
True 3 player scenarios (ala Dogs of War) are best played among folks that have a "history" outside of the scenario at hand.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
True 3 player scenarios (ala Dogs of War) are best played among folks that have a "history" outside of the scenario at hand.
Could you clarify that a little,? Do you mean that they have played each other before? If so, why? Thanks.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Could you clarify that a little,? Do you mean that they have played each other before? If so, why? Thanks.
They have intereacted with each other both on and off the ASL game board.

As is often the case with something like Dogs of War, one player is often confronted with the situation where they cannot possibly win the scenario, but they can decide which of the other two opponents will.

Nothing like some stray bit of trash talk from years ago to tip those sorts of decisions one way or the other.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
They have intereacted with each other both on and off the ASL game board.

As is often the case with something like Dogs of War, one player is often confronted with the situation where they cannot possibly win the scenario, but they can decide which of the other two opponents will.

Nothing like some stray bit of trash talk from years ago to tip those sorts of decisions one way or the other.
Lol, thanks. More players, more trash talk. Provides ammo for future encounters.