Why is't the new RB reprint up to date.

styrk

The open minded on
Reaction score
Country
llNorway
I Just got the new reprint of the 2ed rulebook. My old was dependently in need of replacement. victim for heavy use. This time all pages in protectors. At A53 I noticed something odd. copyright 2014. Hmmm
Here is something not right. Jepp when cheeking pages that came with CdG v2 it contain new pages with C 2020 (A52-62) and Content is not the same. Probably not any thing really critical thing but irritating that am i 100% sure of.
Why MMP Why?
Im safe I got CdG v2. But my guess is that there will be some that not going to like this post.
And yes I got pages in the set saying 2020. and odd V2 pages. so last print.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
The Replacement Pages in Chapter A only really covers things that were changed in CdG2 - so unless one has CdG2 those pages are really all that useful/necessary. Plus, CdG2 is still in print. Perhaps those are the main reasons.

styrk

The open minded on
Reaction score
Country
llNorway
The Replacement Pages in Chapter A only really covers things that were changed in CdG2 - so unless one has CdG2 those pages are really all that useful/necessary. Plus, CdG2 is still in print. Perhaps those are the main reasons.
So French not 100% even with CdGv1 LOL ..
I Call this a nice cook up, some one at MMP have .... and quality control did not get it.
Its just irritating

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
I Call this a nice cook up, some one at MMP have .... and quality control did not get it.
Its just irritating
If MMP QA were going to fix everything, they have a lot of Q/A and errata they need to take care of to do it besides reworking these few pages as they have done for CdG2.

It's easy to defend MMP by saying the changes were not useful or necessary for the most part (ummmm -- then why do it?) and that they are trying to maintain sales of CdG2 because people will buy it to get those new replacement sheets... (hmmm no, I don't find that a believable speculation. I surely did not buy CdG2 to get those replacement pages and I doubt if anyone made that their primary reason to get that expensive module!)

The way for MMP to take care of this QA problem, of course, is to release the eASLRB, and not by endless printing pages for the hard copy every couple of years in updated modules.

Apparently, MMP is still trying to get Hasbro to realize that the gamers are more sophisticated than Flintstones' cartoon characters and that we actually witness the entire world of wargaming using living rules for nearly every game published out there, except ASL.

To digress for a moment, I think this general tendency has led to more rules development laziness than in the good old days, because now rules (for many wargames) are constantly being massaged as if they were software releases by Microsoft... this due to poor rules thinking, writing and organization, possibly coupled with biased playtesting. A case in point is the disaster of a game called Cataclysm, which is still trying to fix itself through endless dialogues with players on BGG. I put a lot of money into that game, as well as a lot of time with rules discussion participation, and all I got was a game that didn't work from nearly top to bottom in some core concepts and still doesn't after two years of purposeful but unsuccessful... but anyway.....at least ASL doesn't suffer from that! Mostly.

Back to ASL rules: how hard is MMP really trying to get Hasbro to see the light? That's anyone's guess. Until we actually see the vaporware eASLRB for sale, we might as well say it's not being worked on at all!

But the propaganda coming out about it each year, year after year, by venerable MMP spokespersons in ASL Journal Op Eds, always sounds good :)

However, not so good is the most recent production announcement from January 26th, 2020, on the official MMP website, where the eASLRB is not mentioned being produced in 2020. However, they are printing more binders, dividers, and yes, hard copy rules in 2020. So tune in, folks, in 2021, for the latest propaganda, or not, about the eASLRB....the juicy pot of gold at the end of the endless rainbow, endlessly promised.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
They pretty much are - one does not need to buy CdGv2. The new/updated rules are only the handle that the Free French and Vichy now have there own counters.

So 1st Edition CdG will work just fine - even for post-CdG2 French scenarios.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I really wish that MMP had updated the newly released rulebook with all the errata but I guess I can understand why they didn't. It would be a mammoth task. I guess switching to an updated E rulebook would be the answer because you could automatically update it anytime it needed it

dur

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I do agree it's pretty crazy that the CdG2 pages are not included (perhaps the RB reprint order was already placed before the layout for CdG2 was finished?), but it is nice to have the other updated pages included as well as an errata index.

Of course, a eRB is really what needs to happen. Fingers crossed!

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
I'm wondering if COVID-19 might accelerate this process. With the emphasis, at least temporarily, being taken off FtF gaming and VASL becoming more popular there's less need for printed versions. Just recently the ASL Annuals and Journals have been released in PDF format, and I was wondering it the timing is more than just coincidence. A paid, protected, PDF download is much better than paying a small fortune for paper/card on eBay and this way MMP gets some money. With years between reprints and outrageous prices being charged for second-hand games it would be nice to see an alternative. There are still some core scenarios I'm looking to pick up, but there's no way I'm going to pony up €200-€500 for one set. I'd be happy enough to hand over, say, €50 for the same in PDF. Maybe we'll start to see something like that, you never know.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
eBay prices for journals appear to have fallen as a result..........

Really? That's a good thing then, a lot of ASL stuff sure seems overpriced on the secondary market

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
At the same time, it is reassuring for the producer to know that his wares are in high demand, which should enable him to release more frequently. At least theoretically

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
At the same time, it is reassuring for the producer to know that his wares are in high demand, which should enable him to release more frequently. At least theoretically
There is that too of course

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
fair point, I hadn't thought of that :cautious:
It will stop some of the speculation, as you point out, which is good for stopping those who hoard and buy stuff up specifically to resell. They're not "collectors" in the true sense of the word. It will be interesting to see where the market stands in say 20 years or so. If ASL manages to stay vital, and appreciation of printed materials stays high, collectors may still be able to consider their ASL stuff an appreciable investment in addition to being a fun hobby.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It will stop some of the speculation, as you point out, which is good for stopping those who hoard and buy stuff up specifically to resell. They're not "collectors" in the true sense of the word. It will be interesting to see where the market stands in say 20 years or so. If ASL manages to stay vital, and appreciation of printed materials stays high, collectors may still be able to consider their ASL stuff an appreciable investment in addition to being a fun hobby.
yep, I hope there is still an ASL hobby in twenty years though, none of us are getting any younger and there doesn't seem to be that much new blood coming into the hobby though, what with Starter Kit, I could, hopefully, be wrong

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Maybe it doesn't need to be an either/or situation. Perhaps even a takeup of soft-copy releases might even subsidise the printed releases thus increasing they frequency. Of course, that's pure speculation on my part.

Another advantage of being able to download is the amount saved on shipping charges. I saw a copy of Gung Ho! on eBay for $49.99 (missing some parts). Shipping to EU:$47.67.