Next Pocket Edition Rulebook Pre-requisites?

WargameHQ

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In order for the next "version" of the ASL Pocket Rulebook to come out, we'll need to see:
  • Finalized Korean War (done)
  • Hakkaa Paalle (done)
  • Revised Hollow Legions
  • Something else?
What else will need to be completed to make it worth the time to release a new core Pocket Rulebook?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
We need to see nothing at all.
The rulebook is print on demand: you get what the status of the implementations of the rules is.
Otherwise, it would be continuously delayed.
There is no "new" pocket rulebook: it already has evolved and will go on changing.

WargameHQ

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I’m confused. Is there a version that has the Korean War rules in it or the Finn page substitutions?

WargameHQ

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So, I guess my question is ... how long does it take between iterations if it's POD and Finns are in it at this point? When can we expect the Korean War rules to be incorporated or is that something that won't happen given the nature of that particular expansion?

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Could put chapter S in it.
Please no. I like SASL*, but the point of a pocket rulebook is to be convenient, especially when travelling. It shouldn't have anything you don't need to play a normal game. A-G & J and H in a second volume is perfect.

*I keep my Chapter S in its own 3/4" binder with all the missions and tables. Works great.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You could also say I need bigger pockets in any case.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Chapter F is a prerequisite for (parts of) Chapter G. Pretty hard to move or fight on a beach if you don't know what the sand rules are.

It's also a prerequisite for (parts of) Chapter B. Knowing that an EmRR acts like a hillock for LOS is not helpful without knowing how hillocks affect LOS.

There are also ETO scenarios that use elements of Chapter F (i.e., scenarios set in parts of North Africa that are not desert).

Like sand, Chapter F gets in everywhere.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Trying to cater to all tastes in ASL for the PRB may be (is) a hopeless task.

Rather than try to make a PRB that contains "everything" why not simply have "Vol 1 - Chapters A - G" (as does the current version), "Vol 2 - Chapters [Korea, RB/RF, KGP I/II, PB, ABtF, BRT,... Z,... etc.], Vol 3 - Chapter H

It is likely that Vol 2 would not be as large as Vol 1 in any case, plus we have a compartmentalized PRB that players can choose what they want and don't.

Last edited:

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Chapter F is a prerequisite for (parts of) Chapter G. Pretty hard to move or fight on a beach if you don't know what the sand rules are.

It's also a prerequisite for (parts of) Chapter B. Knowing that an EmRR acts like a hillock for LOS is not helpful without knowing how hillocks affect LOS.

There are also ETO scenarios that use elements of Chapter F (i.e., scenarios set in parts of North Africa that are not desert).

Like sand, Chapter F gets in everywhere.
Dang. You're right.

The thing I'd most like to see in a third edition is a reorganizing of the add-on info. All national capabilites to A25, PTO integrated into Chapter B, assault engineers in chapter A, HtH CC as well, Op Tanks to Chapter C, etc. The terrain weirdness is probably the worst example but we've accumulated a lot of kludgy organization at this point.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Rather than try to make a PRB that contains "everything" why not simply have "Vol 1 - Chapters A - G" (as does the current version does), "Vol 2 - Chapters [Korea, RB/RF, KGP I/II, PB, ABtF, BRT,... Z,... etc.], Vol 3 - Chapter H

It is likely that Vol 2 would not be as large as Vol 1 in any case and in this manner you have compartmentalized the PRB and players can choose what they want.
At first glance, the 3 volume proposal certainly seems logical. However, when considering MMP's product inventory history over the years, there is a distinct probability that one or more of these volumes will be out of print for extended periods of time in the years to come.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States

Rather than try to make a PRB that contains "everything" why not simply have "Vol 1 - Chapters A - G" (as does the current version does), "Vol 2 - Chapters [Korea, RB/RF, KGP I/II, PB, ABtF, BRT,... Z,... etc.], Vol 3 - Chapter H

It is likely that Vol 2 would not be as large as Vol 1 in any case and in this manner you have compartmentalized the PRB and players can choose what they want.
Until HtH is moved to Chapter A, J must be included with A-G.

Phillip

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
At first glance, the 3 volume proposal certainly seems logical. However, when considering MMP's product inventory history over the years, there is a distinct probability that one or more of these volumes will be out of print for extended periods of time in the years to come.
These are print-on-demand, right? So they don't go out of print?