So what scenarios have you played Recently?

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Short notes on couple of scenarios I have managed to play recently....

BoF10 To Have and to Hold

I was playing American against Michal Sedlacko. We made one aborted try as we could not figure out how the US jeeps worked before playing this for real in couple of live VASL sessions. I managed to dispatch the initial force Michal had reasonably quickly and got into decent positions to interdict the German reinforcements. German counterattack forces cam on from offboard- the game was decided after onr StuG immobilized, another was destroyed by Bounding fire attack form one of my M8s and a MMG I had removed form a jeep went into a ROF spree and broke most of the Germans trying to cross a street. Great attack-counterattack scenario, in this one both sides need to extract everything they can form each unit in their OB to be successful.

RPT143 Rebel's Roost

Another Korea live VASL scenario against my cousin Mikko Lukkari. I defended the board 78 hill with my North Koreans. I did not get the set up right and also used my T-34/85s carelessly. It was over in four turns as the US firepower blew my sub-optimal set-up into pieces. I am not saying this is unwinnable for the North Koreans but it requires very carefully thought out setup and game plan.

BFP118 Kazina Klash

I continued out Poland in Flames scenarios played over live VASL with Rami Saarinen. Only a half board with my 8 German AFVs and two 37L guns against Ramis’ 5 AFVs, 37L gun and 81 mm mortar. This was an all-out armored early war slugfest which ended in the last German turn. I realized I could never take the buildings needed but as Rami had only one tank remaining I managed to swarm it with my last remaining tank and a LMG squad. Finally a point blank MG shot took the tank away. I lost 7 tanks out of 8 and Rami all 5, it was quite wild ride, in which the infantry on both sides played a secondary role. Good quick violent FUN ASL!

WO28 Dean's Defiance

My first FtF ASL gaming since mid-march against my cousin Mikko. I was the US. This was fun DASL scenario! The game was decided by 10-3 led super Bazooka which killed two North Korean tanks early on, and a third was killed during the endgame when the 10-3 was operating the super Bazooka personally after the accompanying squad broke. Although the whole US OB was more or less shot to pieces the tank losses meant that North Koreans could not make the required exit VPs. I really enjoy playing DASL and I am very happy for the new DASL boards and scenarios published recently.

RPT128 Hubba Hubba One More Time

I was the attacking Germans against Matias Dahlback on our latest PBEM VASL game. One of my three leares was killed rolling Boxcars on a MC and second was shot dead by sniper – on top of this I tried to tie one of his BAZ toting half squads into a melee but the HS won ambush and withdrew next to my PzIV and killed it. This made the game extremely difficult as I did not have leaders and I also needed to watch the casualty VP gap which the lost leaders and PZ IV put halfway through. In the end I managed to control the required buildings but lost too many CVPs. An interesting exercise to lay a scenario with all of these handicaps, and almost managed to pull it off in the end...

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
BtB 13 By Chance from Beyond The Beachhead II (BFP)
The scenario card doesn't look terribly appealing but I wanted to play this in my effort to complete the pack.
I had the US and my opponent had the Germans. I kept the two US groups together and entered them on FF10/GG10 (they're a bit fragile and though one turn apart, they can back each other up) and ran down behind the hill to the orchards. I found his HIPster there and took care of them without any troubles. I tried to fire the mortars from the grain on the hill but LOS was poor, and though my radio operator had a good spot in DD1 on the hill, one of my armoured cars was taken out by the AT gun directly in the LOS from the radio to the town that I had to take, so every good LOS went through smoke, and in the end the OBA did nothing (broke the radio a few times).

Once I worked out where most of his dummies were I sent a MG-armed jeep around the back to cover the back of the village to K7 behind the bocage, and it was this jeeps contribution to encircling fire that enabled me to break the last GO troops in the last building held by him on the last turn. To win I had to kill a broken German 447 in CC with a CX667 (the 447 was held in melee by a wounded 8-1 from the previous turn and had been broken in AFPh).

In the end a good close game, with a victory for me.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Royal Marines [{Redux} D27] I guess I was crazy to go against Royal Marines with my 2nd line troops, especially since the earlier version favored the marines. I did not check on what changes were made but I watched my men in their fortified locations slowly disappear as casualties or prisoners. However, it came down the last British turn. At the end of the British movement phase I was faced with a 10-2, a 9-1 and three 6-4-8's adjacent to my last stand FB on one side and a 9-1 and a half-squad with a PIAT on the other side. All I had left in the FB after prep fire was a 7-0 leader and a 4-4-7 which rolled eyes and took down the mighty 10-2 stack. All I had to do was not get pinned which the PIAT next door managed to do to me. Thus, I had to survive a 1-2 attack from this other stack. Dave Stephens got the ambush, called Hand-to-Hand and eliminated my men by one pip on the die. A very close game with luck going back and forth the whole game. "Sevens" were a rarity whereas "threes" and "elevens" seemed to be the order of the day.

I have come out of Covid hiding playing face-to-face with Dave, Derek Ritter and James Lancaster. So far, so good.

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tom and I continued our PiF play through scenario number 42 today, BFP-145 Rock and a Hard Place. Again, for the 42nd time in a row I was the Polish. I new when I first began setting up this was going to be incredible challenging for the Polish, against a player of Tom's caliber doubly slow. The bottom line is the Germans have to much of everything, and what the poles does have, minus the three guns, is a speed bump at least, certainly not one which is going to hold out against everything for 8 turns. The three big guns fought admirably as did the rest of the polish force, but they're simply not up to the task.

Tom began far more cautious than I expected and his main attack came down the Polish left which I had refused beyond a blocking force at the sunken road and the bridge to delay the inevitable turning of that flank as long as possible. It worked for three turns even though I wasn't able to destroy an AFV in the sunken road like I had hoped, and force Tom to maneuver his follow on AFV through over the hills. I withdrew and maneuvered as much of my Green infantry into the woods at the board intersection as quickly as 3MF troops could move and there, learned that the SSR allowing street fighting between woods hexes and along woods-road hexes had been omitted. That might help the poles here (hint, hint). Overall, they acquitted themselves as well a feebly lead, green troops could. But, even cautiously, by Turn 3 the overwhelming firepower of the German's was in range, and my HMG and one of the big guns were out of action, and Tom's AFV had completed the flanking maneuver and were infiltrating from behind my MLR to cutoff the platoon of 3 more Class of 39 POW's due to come on in turn 5.

We were only the second recorded playing of this scenario on Roar and I doubt it will see many Polish wins. Tom helped me as best he could malf and disabling several AFV and SW but in the end simply to much force and to much time. Up next: Szacked hopefully my Poles can avenge themselves on some Russians.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played T5 The Pouppeville Exit as the defending Germans. Another scenario I played a million years ago. I kinda liked it because I didn’t have to worry about where to set up! I think my friend got cocky after our last scenario, Gavin Take, where the 10-2 and 10-3 had their way with my guys. He pushed his 10-2 into a woods hex near the first AA Gun and he and the accompanying squad broke on a 1MC. That caused me to risk the armed kublewagen to get those two for FTR. It survived the lone 6 flat shot from a nearby squad and got them. The rest of the scenario was a mix of smoke, skulking, CCs, and firelanes. The Americans came up just short when the only squad who had a chance to take out the last AA Gun broke in the adjacent hex on the last American turn. A fun revisit of an ancient scenario.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Tom and I continued our PiF play through scenario number 42 today, BFP-145 Rock and a Hard Place. Again, for the 42nd time in a row I was the Polish.
Fact of life, Tom Kearney and Derek Ritter only play the Germans. Perhaps they might not play one of those Foreign SS divisions but I am not sure of that. "Hard Korps" as Fish would say.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Regular weekly F-to-F game with Dave Stephens, Block at Ville-sur-Illon [OB12]. First two turns were bloodless but I managed to get a half-track with a 548 into the rear of the Free French defense. Things looked pretty good as I worked the French left flank. Dave's big mistake was to not get back from the center woods with his 9-2, hero and two squads, one of which was fanatic per the SSR. I closed off the exit with infantry and a 251/8 75mm half-track. Looked real good until Dave unveiled his HIP baz guy next to my 251/8. His prep fire baz shot missed but he did stun the crew and killed the AFV later in CC. French attempts to escape the woods failed reminding me of those poor Russians in 1941. I continued to gather buildings in the center and right flank breaking a number of squads. One of the security units (237) amongst the encirclers was jumped by the 9-2 and a 458 but Dave gacked the 2-1 -2 CC whereas I CR'ed both of the attackers killing the 9-2 with a yahtzee. Game over, German win. Good scenario and was once on the Grenadier playlist.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fact of life, Tom Kearney and Derek Ritter only play the Germans. Perhaps they might not play one of those Foreign SS divisions but I am not sure of that. "Hard Korps" as Fish would say.
Wow.

Wow.

The guy who got me into ASL, Mike Craighead, would never play the Germans.

That made some sense.

Never heard of anyone else like that.

But I apparently haven‘t been too observant.

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow.

Wow.

That made some sense.

Tom will play any nationally anytime. In fact, I think the Russians are his favorite.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow.

Wow.

That made some sense.

My original opponent for SL and ASL, Glenn Johnson, would never play the Germans or the Russians.

TomK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually Ray, I play any nationality but prefer playing US. We both wanted to play the Poles throughout our PiF playthrough but Walt won the selection. The last time you and I played I was British. Of the 52 games I’ve played so far this year I was German in less than half.

TomK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow.

Wow.

That made some sense.

It’s not true. Walt has been posting our progress in out PiF playthrough where he opted to play the Poles. I prefer to play as the US.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
We once tried to design a scenario about the football match played between German and British soldiers at Christmas on the Western Front in 1917.

The playtesters did not like it.

Last edited: