Keeping track of MFs/MPs for later motion attempts

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Question for the hive mind. I'm re-reading Ole Boe's "Stop And Go Traffic" and was wondering what various mechanisms people use to keep track of previous motion attempt-eligible movement for motion attempts later in the phase? Cards? Number chits? Dice? Side notes? Or does it not come up frequently enough that a vehicle has multiple possible motion attempt triggering "events" during a single phase?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Memory, but my preference has always been for smaller scenarios

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Question for the hive mind. I'm re-reading Ole Boe's "Stop And Go Traffic" and was wondering what various mechanisms people use to keep track of previous motion attempt-eligible movement for motion attempts later in the phase?
You don't need to keep track beyond the unit that is currently moving. A Motion Attempt can only be based on the MF/MP expended by the currently moving unit.

At one time there was an official Q&A that allowed one to base it on any MF/MP spent by any unit in the MPh. Perhaps the article was written when that was the case, but it't not anymore.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You don't need to keep track beyond the unit that is currently moving. A Motion Attempt can only be based on the MF/MP expended by the currently moving unit.

At one time there was an official Q&A that allowed one to base it on any MF/MP spent by any unit in the MPh. Perhaps the article was written when that was the case, but it't not anymore.
Son of a gun, you're right. A careful reading of the rules section doesn't mention the "end of MPh" clause. Note to self, carefully read the relevant rules before asking a question based on an old article. :D

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Son of a gun, you're right. A careful reading of the rules section doesn't mention the "end of MPh" clause. Note to self, carefully read the relevant rules before asking a question based on an old article. :D
Yep. And based on this, my method is counting with my fingers.

von Marwitz

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
When I have to stop the movement of a vehicle to manage a defensive fire, etc. I use a 20 sided die, which I place next to the vehicle, with the number of MP spent - if only works for vehicles with up to 20 MP.
On VASL I can use a blank counter and label the MP on it.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
One thing to note is that the number of MF/MP spent that is the basis for the Motion Attempt do not need to be spend in continuous LOS. E.g., I see a vehicle for 2 MP, then it goes out of LOS for some MP and then it pops into LOS again for another 2 MP. Now I have seen it for 4 MP.

Another thing is that Tank-Hunter Hero's MF expenditure can't be used for a Motion Attempt.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
One thing to note is that the number of MF/MP spent that is the basis for the Motion Attempt do not need to be spend in continuous LOS. E.g., I see a vehicle for 2 MP, then it goes out of LOS for some MP and then it pops into LOS again for another 2 MP. Now I have seen it for 4 MP.

Another thing is that Tank-Hunter Hero's MF expenditure can't be used for a Motion Attempt.
Excellent points! I have not been aware of either one before.

von Marwitz

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Quit making up rules on the spot, Klas!

"Oh and, uh, Written Side Records have to be in Helvetica Condensed"

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Fingers, shmingers. Use two dice and count in base 7.

indy

Fingers actually work splendid for Motion Attempts. If you 'used up one hand', you know it's automatically successful. And you can count beneath the table as not to alert your opponent that you might plan to take to the hills...

von Marwitz