ASLOK Thoughts in the Age of Covid

Plans for attending ASLOK XXXV?

• Wasn't planning on attending anyway...

Votes: 46 40.0%
  • Will be there, masks or not...

Votes: 17 14.8%
  • Will be there, but only if masks are required...

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Will be there, but only if masks aren't required...

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Won't be attending due to Covid, but had been planning on it pre-pandemic...

Votes: 20 17.4%
  • Might be there - depends on how the pandemic develops by the Fall...

Votes: 20 17.4%
  • Might be there - depends on non-pandemic things like $, vacation, spousal approval, etc...

Votes: 7 6.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Or just push counters with tweezers or popsicle sticks. Agree that one person (only) sorts out all of the counters. One person (only) puts away those counters. Use your own dice.
Use your imagination. Use your brain. If we can decipher the ASLRB nothing can stop us!
Not even a lone keyboard warrior begging for an audience.
Quite right!! Be creative in thinking about this.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Has anyone you know played one of these? If so what was it like? Always wanted to try it. Seems cool but maybe not so much for the umpire.
Not with ASL, but did try with another game. It's unique, but becomes more of an exercise in imagination. To be honest, probably not really suited for ASL since the system is predicated on a lot of omniscience, but could be fun outside the stakes of a tourney.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, the fastest I ever drove is 118 mph in my old used 1958 Oldsmobile with its 393 cubic inch engine. So I am jealous of the 136 autobahn ride by Andre.

About Covid, as a famous man said, "There are things that we don't know we don't know"

We do know that ASLOK attendance would be down significantly this year. Only Bret knows the financial impact of reduced attendance has on viability of running the event. The mask requirement is an unknown at this time.

So why not:
A. Let the people who want to attend, attend.
B. Let the people who do not want to attend, not attend.

No need to call people cowards, stupid....

Let them decide as adults, regardless of your personal feelings.

Their decision is none of your business, it is not your right to control others. Especially, regarding the playing of a board game at a tournament.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I like the chair idea. Would there be a benefit by assigning everyone a table space? Those who are concerned about transmission could possibly play the majority of their games at their table. Just running it up the flagpole. ?

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
That would be cool. I think the highest I have ever been is 105 and my friends were starting to freak...
I had my BMW up to 120 out for a cruise two weeks ago. I too, was on the Autobahn though :) -- jim

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
I had my Ford Focus station wagon up to 59 mph today. It was a good day...

I would go to ASLOK if it was held. I have to wear a mask all day for work anyway, so if that is a requirement, I would be okay with that.

In the interest of public safety, I would soak my opponents counters in a gallon of hand sanitizer if I lose...

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK. So, an honest question. Taking on board that (our UK) Government have stated that B&Bs may open in July (ie. Government are saying that on balance it's safe to proceed). When are you suggesting it would be "safe" to hold an ASL style event? When there's a vaccine??

I'm inclined to ask that people sign a waiver.
Martin, waiver do not save lives.

Opening a B&B is nothing like a week+ long ASL tournament. I am "suggesting" it will be safe to hold an ASL tournament when public health officials say it is safe. Right now they are quite clearly saying it is not safe.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually 'TABLES' are limited to gatherings of 10 persons. We can handle that.

Banquet and catering facilities are limited to 300 persons. We won't be anywhere near that

I think we are done here. Unless Mark would like to argue with a national COVID-19 hero, Dr. Amy Acton.
You are wrong. You mistakenly referred to the business opening regulations but this is the mass gathering regulations, which are still in effect limited to 10 people. See https://www.cleveland.com/coronavirus/2020/05/new-ohio-coronavirus-order-extends-mass-gathering-ban-until-july-1.html.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You are wrong. You mistakenly referred to the business opening regulations but this is the mass gathering regulations, which are still in effect limited to 10 people. See https://www.cleveland.com/coronavirus/2020/05/new-ohio-coronavirus-order-extends-mass-gathering-ban-until-july-1.html.
Rule ends on July 1.

So as of right now , there is no reason to think that we should not go ahead with planning an event for October.

According to Gov. DeWine and the Ohio Dept of Health.

Last edited:

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So why not:
A. Let the people who want to attend, attend.
B. Let the people who do not want to attend, not attend.

No need to call people cowards, stupid....

Let them decide as adults, regardless of your personal feelings.

Their decision is none of your business, it is not your right to control others. Especially, regarding the playing of a board game at a tournament.
People keep repeating this notion like it has a shred of validity. It does not. It would have validity if someone who became infected could not transmit the virus to others. But that is not the case. Consequently, it is not just a matter of Joe Bloe "accepting the risks" and going to ASLOK and getting COVID-19 and saying, "Oh, well, I knew the risks." It is now a matter of Joe Bloe going to ASLOK, getting COVID-19, then transmitting it to OTHER people who had no choice in the matter.

You have no right to engage in risky behavior that could infect and possibly kill other people just so that you can play a game. I am surprised that you cannot admit this to yourself.

And ASL tournament organizers have an ethical and civic responsibility to make sure that their own actions do not lead to a spread of the virus and increased illness and death.

It's that simple. The coronavirus is contagious and deadly. ASL is a game. Do the moral and ethical math for chrisssakes.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rule ends on July 1.

So as of right now , there is no reason to think that we should not go ahead with planning an event for October.

According to Gov. DeWine and the Ohio Dept of Health.
It's been exttended before and almost certainly will be extended again. And even if it is not, other guidelines will replace it.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
And ASL tournament organizers have an ethical and civic responsibility to make sure that their own actions do not lead to a spread of the virus and increased illness and death.
And if organizers host an event while operating within the guidelines set out by the local health apparatus, they've met their responsibility.

Ethical and civic responsibilities are a low bar in western society. You're under no obligation to live a healthy lifestyle or abstain from dangerous activities in order to qualify for state-provided medical care or any other state-funded assistance programs. We mentioned automobiles earlier. Motor vehicle collisions are almost always due to driver error, yet society forgives such errors without thought. Bans on driving are rare, and charges are laid in a minute fraction of collisions.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I had my BMW up to 120 out for a cruise two weeks ago. I too, was on the Autobahn though :) -- jim
I will regularly be coming down to 105 as I pull back into my lane after passing in my BMW
. Never thought to look where it topped out, but the guy I bought it from said that it started to poop out at ~130.

Not an Autobahn but a Wyoming state highway.

Maurizizio

Reaction score
First name
Maurizio
Country
llUnited States
It's been exttended before and almost certainly will be extended again. And even if it is not, other guidelines will replace it.
Unfortunately ASL is a game but the “rest of the world“ is not. The airlines, the restaurants, the hotels, the gas stations, etc..
I feel responsible to use my best rational/behavior to reduce the potential spread of the virus.
I feel fortunate I can work from home and get my salary paid every end of the month.
I feel responsible for all the less fortunate that because of this crisis have lost their jobs or are suffering from economic disruption.
Have you thought that around the world people and governments are reacting differently?
Be responsible is the first law. Be safe the second. Go ahead the third, with or without ASLOK.

Status
Not open for further replies.