New Desperation Morale Blog Post

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
All of those are things that you consciously do to your self (EXC: accidents).
That I would contest. Surely, an unhealthy lifestyle will play its part for many of those causes.
But I was not asked when some states decided to detonate hundreds of nukes in the atmosphere back in the 50s and 60s, which, I trust, never ever were the cause for cases of cancer. Nor do people strive to have allergies. I'd be surprised to see thousands and thousands working conciously for catching Alzheimer.

You can get Covid 19 because someone feels like their rights are being infringed upon.
Yes. Without doubt. To tobacco industry can serve as one of many examples that also document the feeling of having its rights infringed. Or what about that pharmaceutical company selling the opiates?

Wearing a mask is not going to kill anyone and buys a little protection until they get a vaccine.
In this, I fully agree. This is a neglible personal price to pay.

Common sense is no longer a common virtue.
Alas, that is correct. Too much Twitter-style information in too quick a succession. 'Answers' provided before even the questions are really known. Common sense requires thinking. Thinking requires time and more than just a few morsels of information. It is up to anyone to take that time, to collect and fact-check information. Pair this with the insight that not receiving 'attention' should be the guideline for personal behavior but a bit more humility and respect.

This would not only make the world a better place, but also help against Corona, be it in the context of ASLOK or elsewhere.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Unfortunately, Common Sense is often invoked against facts.
In that broadly used sense it is not examining facts, but "following one's impression".
As much as we all have to take decisions without all the necessary data available, and thus use our past experience and our intuition, that only is a solution by default.
When lives are at stake, observing some measures of caution until the picture of the situation is clearer is the way to go most of the time.
But certainly, facing unusual threats, it can be difficult to place the cursor between excessive caution and recklessness at the right place.
That is why we have the IFT, where we weigh the risks in relation to the FP used and the DRM applied.
Covid19 is like an unknown FP with some unrevealed DRM.
But even if Covid19 only were FP 2 flat, any experienced player knows that this is not a situation without risks...
And some of us are only conscripts - or 6+1 if we nevertheless think ourselves as elite. ?

pixelgeek

Just some guy
Reaction score
First name
Zac
Country
llCanada
Anything with Fosters Brooks, Ruth Buzzi, Mel Tillis and Paul Lynde has to be good.
I can't tell if you meant that as a joke or not.

In any case, the movie has horrible reviews.

This is my favourite quote
The Villain is itself an extended cartoon, a cartoon with live actors as its director Hal Needham redundantly describes it. The result: while we still guffaw once or twice, our suffering increases proportionately as we are made to sit through a full 80 minutes of numbing mindlessness.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can't tell if you meant that as a joke or not.

In any case, the movie has horrible reviews.

This is my favourite quote
The Villain is itself an extended cartoon, a cartoon with live actors as its director Hal Needham redundantly describes it. The result: while we still guffaw once or twice, our suffering increases proportionately as we are made to sit through a full 80 minutes of numbing mindlessness.
Of course, it's a joke.

These reviews make me laugh:
Most of the reviews of the film were negative. Gene Siskel of the Chicago Tribune gave the film one star, as did Walter J. Addiego of the San Francisco Examiner; Siskel described the film as "a direct ripoff of Tex Avery's marvelous Road Runner cartoons",[3] while Addiego wrote that it contained "the sorriest collection of jokes in recent memory […] put together by a group who probably wouldn't make the grade in the Mel Brooks school of infantile humor."[4] Also giving the film one star was Kathleen Carroll, who, in the New York Daily News, summarized it as "a hopelessly stupid Western spoof about a hopelessly stupid gunfighter who learns his bad-guy tactics from studying a pulp novel titled "Badmen of the West" and who invariably ends up being outsmarted by his horse.

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
See, I will be in a row of two seats, sitting next to my wife with an aisle next to me creating space between me and strangers. I also splurged to sit up front, reducing the number of people around me and my wife. I am doing the best I can. I can't take the money with me so why not go in style? Were it not my daughter's wedding, I wouldn't be going. If you had a daughter, you would know what I mean. Besides, she is the one who decides which home I get put in when my mind turns to mush and I set in a chair blowing spit bubbles. It's really an investment in the future going home now ;) -- jim

Congratulations on your daughter's wedding.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The main problem is : Do we want a vaccine done fast, or a vaccine done right? I vote for the latter, as a vaccine done fast might
overlook possible side effects that {conceivably} might be worse than COVID-19.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The main problem is : Do we want a vaccine done fast, or a vaccine done right? I vote for the latter, as a vaccine done fast might
Infomercial in 5 years.

"Did you get Covid vaccination in 2020? If so you may be entitled to a large settlement"

Last edited:

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As we say in the defense contracting community "Cost, schedule, performance - pick 2."

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As we say in the defense contracting community "Cost, schedule, performance - pick 2."
Ahhh, the luxury of spending government money.

In the private sector it's "Cost, schedule, performance - All three...then knock 2 quarters off the schedule, your bonus is tied to it."