Attack of the Leaping Horseman: short video on small unit action on the Eastern Front

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Quite good. I have NEVER, seen men advancing to contact standing/moving totally upright however and some in a very lackadaisical manner. ?
It may have tried too hard to make the point that modern low ready weapons carries are anachronistic. The Germans carried their rifles either at a loose port arms at about waist level, or very commonly in one hand, at what the British called "trail arms." Soldiers of the period just weren't taught to anticipate contact with a raised muzzle. It's one of the few things Band of Brothers gets wrong.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It may have tried too hard to make the point that modern low ready weapons carries are anachronistic. The Germans carried their rifles either at a loose port arms at about waist level, or very commonly in one hand, at what the British called "trail arms." Soldiers of the period just weren't taught to anticipate contact with a raised muzzle. It's one of the few things Band of Brothers gets wrong.
Not so much how they carried their rifles as not moving forward with a bit of a stoop that jumped out at me. Almost everyone seemed to be "standing tall" and advanced without a sense of urgency or anticipation. Even a decent reenactment group tries to get it right. I can understand the low carry as with heavier/longer weapons that's not uncommon, even in modern times, but the stance should have been emphasized. As I had indicated, enjoyed the presentation and learned a bit about the background of the modern combat order (actually more detail, as I had been at least superficially aware of its origins).
[EDIT] Glad you posted it!?

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I caught the guy that was still messing with his sling as the attack was moving forward. There is always that one guy....

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Not so much how they carried their rifles as not moving forward with a bit of a stoop that jumped out at me.
It's an interesting point, and it wasn't something that came up on the set. The unit portrayed was going into the line for the first time after an extended period of fitting and training in France, which I suppose one might use to explain it away. But I'll keep it in mind if we ever get around to doing another one.

Truth be told, could have used another two months of prep time - the research done by a number of people ranged through a number of obscure topics, and at every turn there seemed to be something else to have to figure out. Did Oblt Michael wear his infantry assault badge? What did the German stretcher look like? Was the MG42 in front line use yet? What time does the sun come up at Kursk in June? Did an Obergefreiter wear the medic trade badge? etc. :)

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can imagine the words the squad leader is using as the squad is advancing up to the woods, "Get that @#&* rifle off your shoulder,
we're getting close to the Germans!"

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I caught the guy that was still messing with his sling as the attack was moving forward. There is always that one guy....
I shouldn't admit this publicly cuz he is a friend of mine, but he also showed up for the shoot having left his jackboots at home. :) Luckily there were spares available.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I shouldn't admit this publicly cuz he is a friend of mine, but he also showed up for the shoot having left his jackboots at home. :) Luckily there were spares available.
You know, I think I remember you saying that phrase last year and I just copied it. :) It was along the same kind of circumstances though.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
You know, I think I remember you saying that phrase last year and I just copied it. :) It was along the same kind of circumstances though.
Truth be told, in this case, as I was setting up the shot with the two cinematographers, our consensus was that the troops should not "go over the top" at the same time, as it would be visually less interesting than if we could see them come over a bit staggered. The position of the camera was such that you would only see the guy at the end of the line closest to the camera if they all came out in a proper skirmish line formation. The playing with the sling was not directed, the (reen)actor just kind of added it in himself, which I think worked out nicely.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Thank you, very nice. Who was the narrator? I did not see him listed in the credits.