So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Was able to get three more scenarios in over a couple of days, this time in Italy. As usual, I was the Axis and my friend the Allies.

G25 The T-Patchers (updated). I have no opinion on it because my dice were so hot that we called it on mid turn 3. The 50L AT Gun in the fortified level two building location (yes, the lower levels were fortified as well) rained death by rate. The final straw occurred when in an act of desperation to get something going, my friend ran the American 9-2 leader up with two squads and I rolled snakes followed by a three with the StuG. Ouch!

WO34 Feast Day. Could have been a good game but early hot dice by me slowed the initial advance. Desperate (and frustrated), my friend jumped into three CCs and won all of them to almost turn the tide. Still, by the end of turn four he had made too little progress and he called it. I would have too. Seems to me if the Canadians timetable gets thrown off, it’s hard to recover from.

OA16 Surrender or Die. Sort of an afterthought scenario and it turned out to be the best of the three. The Germans have to push hard and fast. My men ended up taking all the buildings except three by the last turn. One CC had been raging for two turns when I moved some squads into two more. I had to win all three and not have my guys die in return. Failed on the first one. Can’t complain when the game is that close.

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played a great game of 234: Counterstroke at Stonne vs @ppalma3010. Both sides start out feeling behind the eight-ball: the Germans have to defend the village on Board 3 and the big chateau on board 6 against a French force of 27 squads and includes 10 tanks, including 5 B1-bis. To do so they have 12 squads, and a motley assortment of StuGs, halftracks, and anti-tank guns whose only real option against most of the French armor is deliberate immobilization. To make things worse, half of your guns come onboard as reinforcements, so you don't even get the element of surprise.

On the French side, the Germans have brought what feels like every machine gun in German to defend a village that might as well have been designed for firelanes, and the French infantry has to cross three boards of this without any smoke, assault toys, or even the material to make a kill stack. The tanks are impregnible, sure, but their low speed, lack of radios, and mechanical unreliability make it tougher on the French to get them into useful positions.

To win, the French need to capture the big building on board 6 and one or two buildings in the village beyond. I set up a sacrificial platoon in the board 6 building, with enough support around it to fend the French off for an extra turn or two before withdrawing to board 3 for the final showdown.

Pat brought most of his force against the board 6 building, with a detachment pushing along on the west edge to flank the village. I counterattacked on the west, and some good rolls managed to crumple his attack there, but I quickly lost the StuG spearhead to a malfunctioned MA and a halftrack or two to mean looks from the French, and I wasn't able to continue pushing against his main body.

Meanwhile, my troops around board 6 made OK account of themselves, but couldn't hold out forever, especially once their erstwhile comrades had scurried back to the village. By turn 5-6 or so, Pat had secured the building and was pushing into the village, targeting the big three-hex building that was nearest to the French side. This was good news for me, because I had set up for this building to be my Alamo.

Still, the French AFV were finally making themselves count, and I was pushed pretty hard to keep the French at bay. I had to bring units from back in the village up to keep the defense of the Alamo from collapsing. By turn 8 or so, I was feeling OK about that building, but I had moved maybe one or two halfsquads to0 many to reinforce the Alamo, and Pat was able to get a couple squads around my flanks into the vulnerable stone buildings in my backfield.

From here, things got squirrelly for the last couple of turns. The brawl around the Alamo continued, just in case it mattered, but the real action came as 2-3 MMC and their armor support chased each other around the village. Pat and I looked up every rule in the game in an attempt to foist the other with long-shot gambits that either paid off brilliantly or failed spectacularly as we proceeded to roll about a dozen 2's and 12's on the last two turns. My favorite moment was this: the StuG that had malfed its main armament on the first turn had been wandering around the French backfield to no effect for 8-9 turns now. It's armament being malfed, it couldn't stop the French from routing toward it, but it could do the occasional 1FP overrun, or else park itself ominously right behind the French armor. On turn 10, it finally repaired the MA, just in time to race across the board to sleaze-freeze one of the holdouts I needed to rush. To do so, it had to whiz past a motion French Hotchkiss, which sure enough hit it, with a possible shock result: 9: shocked! ... except ... I had almost forgot I had an 9-1 Armor Leader in there! Pass! Frenchies frozen!

Alas, it wasn't enough, and Pat's infiltrators managed to stay alive for long enough to win. Great game, though!

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played a great game of 234: Counterstroke at Stonne vs @ppalma3010. Both sides start out feeling behind the eight-ball: the Germans have to defend the village on Board 3 and the big chateau on board 6 against a French force of 27 squads and includes 10 tanks, including 5 B1-bis. To do so they have 12 squads, and a motley assortment of StuGs, halftracks, and anti-tank guns whose only real option against most of the French armor is deliberate immobilization. To make things worse, half of your guns come onboard as reinforcements, so you don't even get the element of surprise.

On the French side, the Germans have brought what feels like every machine gun in German to defend a village that might as well have been designed for firelanes, and the French infantry has to cross three boards of this without any smoke, assault toys, or even the material to make a kill stack. The tanks are impregnible, sure, but their low speed, lack of radios, and mechanical unreliability make it tougher on the French to get them into useful positions.

To win, the French need to capture the big building on board 6 and one or two buildings in the village beyond. I set up a sacrificial platoon in the board 6 building, with enough support around it to fend the French off for an extra turn or two before withdrawing to board 3 for the final showdown.

Pat brought most of his force against the board 6 building, with a detachment pushing along on the west edge to flank the village. I counterattacked on the west, and some good rolls managed to crumple his attack there, but I quickly lost the StuG spearhead to a malfunctioned MA and a halftrack or two to mean looks from the French, and I wasn't able to continue pushing against his main body.

Meanwhile, my troops around board 6 made OK account of themselves, but couldn't hold out forever, especially once their erstwhile comrades had scurried back to the village. By turn 5-6 or so, Pat had secured the building and was pushing into the village, targeting the big three-hex building that was nearest to the French side. This was good news for me, because I had set up for this building to be my Alamo.

Still, the French AFV were finally making themselves count, and I was pushed pretty hard to keep the French at bay. I had to bring units from back in the village up to keep the defense of the Alamo from collapsing. By turn 8 or so, I was feeling OK about that building, but I had moved maybe one or two halfsquads to0 many to reinforce the Alamo, and Pat was able to get a couple squads around my flanks into the vulnerable stone buildings in my backfield.

From here, things got squirrelly for the last couple of turns. The brawl around the Alamo continued, just in case it mattered, but the real action came as 2-3 MMC and their armor support chased each other around the village. Pat and I looked up every rule in the game in an attempt to foist the other with long-shot gambits that either paid off brilliantly or failed spectacularly as we proceeded to roll about a dozen 2's and 12's on the last two turns. My favorite moment was this: the StuG that had malfed its main armament on the first turn had been wandering around the French backfield to no effect for 8-9 turns now. It's armament being malfed, it couldn't stop the French from routing toward it, but it could do the occasional 1FP overrun, or else park itself ominously right behind the French armor. On turn 10, it finally repaired the MA, just in time to race across the board to sleaze-freeze one of the holdouts I needed to rush. To do so, it had to whiz past a motion French Hotchkiss, which sure enough hit it, with a possible shock result: 9: shocked! ... except ... I had almost forgot I had an 9-1 Armor Leader in there! Pass! Frenchies frozen!

Alas, it wasn't enough, and Pat's infiltrators managed to stay alive for long enough to win. Great game, though!
One that has made my ATF list. I've played it several times against various opponents and has never failed to entertain.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Green Apples DftB DB 153 China, '45, Nationalist Paratroopers and a handful of US advisers jump into river delta country and must; avoid losses, exit, and or, shut down a road, or the river traffic. The Japanese are reinforced by just about everything, including cavalry, a/c, HA-GOs, and a boat.
My jump was scattered, but not horrible for my luck in airdrop scenarios. With where everyone ended up, the nearest objectives were to cut the road and river, at the bridge. This turned into a fine furball, with my opponent alternating his reinforcements arriving o either side of the river. My troops on the south side of the river were all but wiped out. On the northside, in the hexrow X treeline, I was able to hold out, even after two banzai charges. In the end, I was able to shut the road and river, but blowing up the bridge was never a serious thought...

Fun scenario.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Couple of scenarios I have finished during the last couple of weeks. All of this was done either live VASL or VASL PBEM, still waiting to return to the live gaming.

RPT142 Commander for a Day

Another Schwerpunkt Korea scenario against my cousin Mikko. I was North Korean and Mikko played US. This is a small quick no frills scenario that will fill couple of hours and it also offers decent amount of action. It was played in the village end of board 71 and as there were no paddy fields or Korean hills so it had a feeling of "what-if Patton-drove-to-Berlin-in-late-1945" as both OBs are mroe or less equivalent to late WWII US or Soviet OB. Korean War ASL at its simplest form, IMO this is still a better scenario than ASL 208 The Gist Mill in this category.

I managed to take hold of the required buildings in 4 turns out of 5. The NK player has to be a bit careful with the armor otherwise things get hairy quickly.

AP080 A Bloody Waste

PBEM against a new opponent for me, Larry Yeager. I was US and Larry played the German. Not too much to comment on this one, Larry did a couple of mistakes with the setup and it was over quickly as US has tremendous mobility and firepower. The Germans need a careful setup t pull this one off.

AP112 First Ally

Another new opponent on a PBEM game, Matias Dahlback. I was the attacker as Polish. I managed to win in 5 turns out of 7. This happened despite my Polish OBA observer spent 3 turns not getting radio contact and when getting contact drawing a red card and when finally getting contact and access not hitting anything else than own troops- before the Slovakian sniper shot the observer dead and ended the useless OBA for good.

While the setup used by Matias could be improved on I think the Pole is in a very good position in this one: Polish have the advantage in both troop quantity and quality, they can pick the direction of the attack after seeing Slovak setup. There is no real time pressure. And they might even get lucky with OBA.

Last edited:

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Curtis Brooks and I played FrF76 Pain in the Neck Tush with me as the attacking German SS, Curtis the Russians. An outstandingly fun scenario.

The Germans did a nice job evading the pursing Russians, but some cagey play and nice shots at the right time really made a difference for the Russians. A KIA on a 548 heading for the exit edge and a 1,1 on a street-fighting 8-0/458 took out a Sherman. The Germans simply don't have the margin to lose critical EVP like that. Curtis had struggles of his own with two MA malfs, a leader that CR/wounded on turn 1, thereby losing leader movement bonus for the platoon he was leading.

I had a solid chance in the very last turn's rally phase needing to get back 1.5 squad equivalents out of: a self-rallying (non-DM) 237, and DMed 548, 237 in woods w/ a 9-1. The SR roll was 6,6. The 548 rallied and the 237 missed. At that point I could exit only 11 of the required 12 half squad equivalents. It doesn't get much closer than that. A brilliantly designed, tightrope scenario against a great opponent like Curtis. You can't ask for much more than that.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played two scenarios both as the Germans.

J190 Trial Run. I thought it was boring. A bunch of concealments and a few squads make a "fighting" withdrawal to stop the Canadians from exiting. Not enough Germans to do anything but fall back. The few times I did stand my ground, my guys were swarmed by squads and HS causing too many targets. I had a chance to win only because my friend was being overly cautious. Once the Canadians cleared the road, there was nothing for me to do but call it. Little fighting = little excitement.

Shin1 Factory Farming. This is a scenario from a free scenario pack download from VFTT. The British have to run across some open ground initially but once in the village, they should overwhelm the Germans. That's exactly what happened. The only mistake my buddy made was with five(!) leaders for only 16 squads, he should have deployed the hell out his force on turn one and swamped me with targets. With the four free ones at setup, that's a potential for 14 HS to rush eight German squads. I think it was closer than it should have been, but the British got it done with a turn to spare. Decent scenario and worth a look at.

Last edited:

Curtis Brooks

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Curtis Brooks and I played FrF76 Pain in the Neck Tush with me as the attacking German SS, Curtis the Russians. An outstandingly fun scenario.
I agree with Craig. A very fun and tense scenario. I felt behind the eightball the ENTIRE game. The Germans have BARELY enough to fulfill their exit mission, and the Russians have BARELY enough to try and stop them. A well designed scenario.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
CASLO 24 GAMES

RPT3 VAROSMAJOR GRANGE: I won as the Russian defender against Terry Gray.

153 TOTSUGEKI: I lost as the Chinese defender (with balance) against Rich Domovic.

ANZAC2000 THE ARDENNES ABBEY: I won as the German defender against Alain Chabot.

FrF27 COCKTAILS FOR MOLOTOV: I lost as the Russian attacker against Jeff Wasserman.

FrF86 BELGIAN TIGERS: I lost as the Belgian defender against Andy Beaton.

I was happy to have this VASL tournament experience. Thank you to David Garvin and all who helped him, and to my opponents for many hours of enjoyment.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
J32 Panzer Graveyard. Crept my German infantry up before the tanks to make sure the way was clear. Twenty buildings in six turns pretty much means no Prep Fire. The big break came in Turn 4 when one of the Mk. IVs recovered from a UK PIAT shot and promptly rolled a critical hit on the 9-1 and two squads holding my men back on the southwest side of the village. Although random selection only got one of the three infantry with a K/4, all the units broke and ended up dying due to FTR. The same turn I took a chance with another one of the Mk. IVs, survived the shot from a hull down Sherman and burned it. The British defense was now in disarray and we called it. Although slightly in favor of the Germans on ROAR, I think it's tough on them. They are one rate tear away from getting their tanks or infantry shredded fast. With the strict timetable they are on and a crummy 2 ELR, that could mean disaster. Fun scenario because it is very tense.

Last edited:

Del

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Nice gaming table!

Though the drawback of covering the map is considerable glare and the offset when checking LOS. Yet, I have not seen any solution combining the advantages of a 'flat' and 'protected' mapboard with one which is free of glare and without LOS-offset.

von Marwitz
I use a plastic sheet which is repurposed from an advertisement poster protector. Very thin (about a millimeter), can be rolled for storage/transport and has a matte surface. Works great. I can see it needs a clean though! 13510

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
ASL 01 - Fighting Withdrawal

Returning to the solo fray after taking some time out to re-read the rules specified in Parts 1-3 of Jim Stahler's 8 Steps to ASL.

This turned out to be much more fun than I imagined. SovHoldit decided to give his units a head start by deploying mostly at the wall between the V and W hex-rows, with most of the dummies in the X-AA buildings. It takes a bit of discipline on the part of the Russian player to avoid getting hung up on holding ground.

Initial deployments:

Middlegame:

I called it on Turn 6, when SovHoldit had 3.5 squads and a leader exited, with two more squads to follow on the next turn, while it was impossible for any Finnish units to get over the line. Big contributors to the Russian win were the 4-4-7 and 7-0 in Q7, which rolled consistently low when FinHoldit, with the clock's ticks crashing in his ear like Peyton Farquhar's, tried to rush squads across P-9-P10-Q10 gap. Those that did make it then came up against the HIP MMG in H9 and an LMG in the cemetery. Cue more low rolls with RFP doing a lot of damage. This was about the same time as SovHoldit realised that the Finns had very little chance of exiting anyone off in time, and changed the strategy to just getting as many Soviet squads off as possible i.e. "Run!".

A bad day for Santas's army.

Final situation:

Highlights
Finnish prisoners released and rearmed and given the job of guarding their own erstwhile captors.
Despite the SAN of 7, the Soviet sniper didn't do much, contenting himself to settling into a steeple and smoking a roll-up.
The Finns' self-rally ability was almost as absent as the Soviet sniper's marksmanship.
Man of the Match award must go to the Finnish hero generated in R9, who went from R9-Q9-P8 to soak up any SFF from O8 and Q7 to give the other Finnish squads a better chance to get across the gap. Not contented with that, he then engaged a 4-2-6 in CC and ambushed it, but ended up locked in a melee he didn't survive. There's a gong in the post for his widow.

Terrific scenario. Next up: Mila 18, which I had already started but will probably start over now that I have a better idea of what I'm doing.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played two more and last two Shingle’s List scenarios (free download from VFTT) since the rest fall just outside our campaign dates. I was the Germans and my friend the British. You can tell the dated feel (1998) because of the boards they use. Not a complaint. I happen to miss those old boards (except board 4 or having to capture building 3M2 for the millionth time).

Shin2 Forming the Thumb. Not a big fan of board 11, though. Other than the hedges, there’s a buttload of open ground. The Germans must prevent an entering group of infantry and two tanks from taking an out of season grain blob on one of the hills and several building to the rear in 7.5 turns. A mid board defense stymied the British advance and by the end of turn five, there was no way any British unit would make it to the furthest stone building. Lots of spread out objectives and too much open ground make this one tough for the British.

Shin3 Tally Ho! I wanted to skip this one but my friend likes to play through them all. Board 19 this time and even more open ground than board 11. The British set up in the open near the top third of the board (although they can opt to be entrenched) in between a German force in the woods flanking them and a bit closer to the exit area. They must exit the board on the opposite side (counted as double) in six turns to get more VPs than the Germans. The catch is that the Germans can also exit the same side to get VPs but they also get CVP for eliminating British units. Oh yeah, the Germans also have a module of 80mm OBA directed from an offboard observer. The scenario looked like a bust to me. My friend did better than I thought but between getting pounded by the artillery (which didn’t do a whole lot but the psychological effect was huge) and some serious firelanes, not one British infantry unit exited. Not even close. Two recorded ROAR playings (now three) in twenty years. One was a British victory. I’d love to know how they did it.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played two more and last two Shingle’s List scenarios (free download from VFTT) since the rest fall just outside our campaign dates. I was the Germans and my friend the British. You can tell the dated feel (1998) because of the boards they use. Not a complaint. I happen to miss those old boards (except board 4 or having to capture building 3M2 for the millionth time).

Shin2 Forming the Thumb. Not a big fan of board 11, though. Other than the hedges, there’s a buttload of open ground. The Germans must prevent an entering group of infantry and two tanks from taking an out of season grain blob on one of the hills and several building to the rear in 7.5 turns. A mid board defense stymied the British advance and by the end of turn five, there was no way any British unit would make it to the furthest stone building. Lots of spread out objectives and too much open ground make this one tough for the British.

Shin3 Tally Ho! I wanted to skip this one but my friend likes to play through them all. Board 19 this time and even more open ground than board 11. The British set up in the open near the top third of the board (although they can opt to be entrenched) in between a German force in the woods flanking them and a bit closer to the exit area. They must exit the board on the opposite side (counted as double) in six turns to get more VPs than the Germans. The catch is that the Germans can also exit the same side to get VPs but they also get CVP for eliminating British units. Oh yeah, the Germans also have a module of 80mm OBA directed from an offboard observer. The scenario looked like a bust to me. My friend did better than I thought but between getting pounded by the artillery (which didn’t do a whole lot but the psychological effect was huge) and some serious firelanes, not one British infantry unit exited. Not even close. Two recorded ROAR playings (now three) in twenty years. One was a British victory. I’d love to know how they did it.
I can remember a point where I had to park board 4 for about a year.... The same for good old building 3M2!

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can remember a point where I had to park board 4 for about a year.... The same for good old building 3M2!
Sad that I could quote that building without even looking at the coordinates! Back in the SL days, there weren't that many boards to choose from. My friend and I still call the building on board 6 "The Chateau".

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Sad that I could quote that building without even looking at the coordinates! Back in the SL days, there weren't that many boards to choose from. My friend and I still call the building on board 6 "The Chateau".
We are designing a scenario on board 3 right now. Simply turning 3M2 into a factory (which it certainly looks like) makes the entire board much more fun to play!

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We are designing a scenario on board 3 right now. Simply turning 3M2 into a factory (which it certainly looks like) makes the entire board much more fun to play!
Good idea. I still like that old board. The only thing I hated was the woods in W4 and to a lesser extent W8, U7, and U8. A great hill location marred by some awful blind spots. Perhaps in your scenario you could make those locations brush...

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
J79 Rommel's Remedy Tom and I have talked about playing the desert for awhile and finally decided to take a break from PiF to play some Shelling gold. We're undertaking the entire Line In The Sand Mini and this is the first scenario in what looks like a very fun trilogy. Like all three of Pete's mini's the players start with a fixed OB but can choose some add-ons to tailor their forces. I choose 4 x PzIIIH, the 8 rad AC group and FB w/ no bombs and the Mtr/AA gun combo. Tom went with the Valentines, AA/AT combo and FB w/ bombs. My plan was simple, don't stop just keep moving, smash through and run for the exit. Our playing of this scenario was highlighted by extreme swings of fortune and misfortune on the dice. I hit Tom's anti-tank mine belt (2at each hex) at four different locations and failed to detonate a single one. In fact, the only vehicle jacked by mine was Tom's own when he made a desperate move to stop my final AFV from exiting. He rolled at least 4 snake eyes on to hit rolls (including twice rolling triple 1's) one was an improbable hit, which became a normal hit, which bounced and the other was an AC bomb which hit a 1/2 track on the final exit hex but was a dud so the 1/2 track exited for VP. I never rolled a single snake eyes the entire game except on a PTC lol. Tom also, managed to break and repair 3 guns/main armaments and generate two heroes. My dice were despicable, and had it not been for a big sniper which took out a 9-2/hero stack which would have completely wrecked my AFV in CC this playing would never have gone down to the final turn. My only other two breaks were shooting down one of his A/C (first ever in my long ASL career) and my mortar getting an early hit/result on his backstop AA gun which never recovered. Even when I stopped to shoot it was ineffective. The Italian infantry was useless, they infiltrated up the wadi but could get no further and had I relied on them to pierce the mine belt it would have been an epic fail, their armor was useful however. Tom ignored them for the most part and I managed to sneak one down the board edge and make a dash for the exit and the win. Tom managed to make the aforementioned last turn repairs and moved all guns to stop the tank. In the end, it was his A/C with another CH bomb that did the tank in. Yes folks, two AC with bombs snake eyes for both!!! The luck of the Irish I guess! Fun scenario, highly recommended take the balance if your the Axis.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
While my Dinant opponent is out of action and forced to work, I had the opportunity for a pick up game.

Battled through A101 "The Drive to Taierzhuang" from ASL Annual 96. The Chinese defenders kept the attacking Japanese on edge until the last Chinese APh before the Japanese could get the required Exit VPs of the map.