Dinant CG (Dennis Brothers)

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
This looks very interesting. The 70 CPP lets the Germans buys a lot of kit. Did the Germans buy the Reserve Pz Pltn with the 8 Pz IVD??

The stacking looks heinous.

In our game Lee may start using large ? from a different nationality as a stack counter to reduce the number of large stacks while not confusing what are actual concealed units.

Last edited:

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This looks very interesting. The 70 CPP lets the Germans buys a lot of kit. Did the Germans buy the Reserve Pz Pltn with the 8 Pz IVD??

In our game Lee may start using large ? from a different nationality as a stack counter to reduce the number of large stacks while not confusing what are actual concealed units.
Steve should know everything I bought with the 70. I bought the medium tank company (with the 8x PZ IVD's for smoke), another mortar platoon (for more smoke; which didn't happen!; S8 and i rolled 9, 9 and a 12 on the first three shots), another company of 4-6-7's, an 8-ton pontoon, a 16-ton pontoon, the figher bombers and the cheap AC platoon. Which equals 72 CPP, since I'd saved 2 from the first day.

Yes stacking is obnoxious right now. If he gets that OBA radio fixed and optimally placed this will be over quick.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

<< You mean the company right? The reserve Platoon is only 3 MKIV's. One of the interesting things about researching this was you would figure all the German companies at this stage of the war would be very uniform. Nothing could have been further from the truth. At least with 7th Panzer anyway. A few of these, some of those, a couple of these, ok, we'll call that a company. Go! Very interesting. >>

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
<< You mean the company right? The reserve Platoon is only 3 MKIV's. One of the interesting things about researching this was you would figure all the German companies at this stage of the war would be very uniform. Nothing could have been further from the truth. At least with 7th Panzer anyway. A few of these, some of those, a couple of these, ok, we'll call that a company. Go! Very interesting. >>
Yes, the company. I made the change above. Thanks for that.

The Germans had to go with whatever their production could provide at this point but they also equipped their divisions based on the expected difficulty of the coming campaign. Their 1st - 4th Light Divisions were converted to 6-9th Pz Divs after Poland and they had to make do with Pz 35(t)s in 6th Pz while 7th and 8th Pz Pz got Pz 38(t)s in place of Pz III. It is interesting to note that the 4th Coy of the panzer battalions in all panzer divs had to make use of additonal Pz IIs to make up for missing Pz IVs (should have had 14 Pz IV per coy). Guderian's 3 divisions were best equipped with Pz III and IV (~90 and 56 respectively) while poor 9th Pz up in Holland had just 36 Pz III and 18 Pz IV, the remaining ~175 tanks were all Pz I an Pz II).

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, the company. I made the change above. Thanks for that.

The Germans had to go with whatever their production could provide at this point but they also equipped their divisions based on the expected difficulty of the coming campaign. Their 1st - 4th Light Divisions were converted to 6-9th Pz Divs after Poland and they had to make do with Pz 35(t)s in 6th Pz while 7th and 8th Pz Pz got Pz 38(t)s in place of Pz III. It is interesting to note that the 4th Coy of the panzer battalions in all panzer divs had to make use of additonal Pz IIs to make up for missing Pz IVs (should have had 14 Pz IV per coy). Guderian's 3 divisions were best equipped with Pz III and IV (~90 and 56 respectively) while poor 9th Pz up in Holland had just 36 Pz III and 18 Pz IV, the remaining ~175 tanks were all Pz I an Pz II).
9th Panzer. The German panzer division equivalent of an Alaska command.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK we got all the way to German T5, we generally hold after the rally phase so we don't have to search the world for broken guys...
The Wine Report (note sometimes this can be the Wine and Whine report all in one)
We compared and contrasted 2 Cabernet Francs. One from North Carolina (for racing fans, Childress Racing Winery) and a Michigan Marland that we have both had before. Both pretty fruity.
Than we moved on to a Celani Cabernet Sauvignon. And finished with another Orin Swift blend Abstract. All in all a nice afternoon of wine, although someone has had to start getting driven home ....

So onto the pictures. In the south is where all the action is. We had a correction to the dogfight, he damaged me so I can't hold him in melee and I have to drive home. Next turn my other plane is going away anyhow so I dogfight all 3 of his guys and promptly going first roll 6,6... so now he has 3 planes and I have none...you can see where his plane killed one of my halftracks and immobilized the other... the one on the road was my mistake last time and it's still sitting there being a very handy OBA target. he drew red on his next contact though allowing me to pull back a few guys and than rolled a 6,6 so we are even on the OBA. Mine is still down and he found the observer. He continues to get a few units across every turn here and he is starting to get his pontoons ready. he unloaded on back from the shore (under the smoke) and drove the others up once he took out my mortar crew (with yet another plane, rolling 1,1 on the effects to boot). So the crossing is about to commence, Rommel helped unload the first pontoon but the french sniper has been hot, going off 4 or 5 times? I even moved it on a 1 because it had drifted across the river. My only casualty caused was a sniper on a boat passenger again. My guys are just getting killed down here and I don't have enough to do anything. My reinforcing platoon had to reset because running in open ground vs. 3 planes is not appetizing.
Neil is trying to calculate if he can get a pontoon bridge up before this scenario ends... will be close. If it goes 8 he might just make it we think.
And he now has smoke assets on the board so even if I reclaim my mortar I might not be able to see the bridges anyway.

OK so let's move to the middle. here we see his 3 planes flying overhead and my guys trying to run as fast as they can to the South while factoring in the planes. Orchards and woods are our friends right now.

And finally in the North we see remnants of my line... there is a guy in the last pillbox but everyone else has moved off to the south.
The crew is trying to move from the 25LL to get the mortar (under the acquisitions) which is much more deadly against his pontoons, etc. but he stripped the ? from that AC on the river road and than pinned him with a plane... Not sure if I can survive the mortar shots if I do get on it next turn anyway...

That's it...

Attachments

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Other highlights (or lowlights!) that happened yesterday.

I was able to finally find his observer and break him sending him fleeing to EE28 with his broken radio. I assume Steve will save this OBA for tomorrow now that we are 5 turns in.
I also was able to 1KIA the last Mortar crew, although it didn't kill the mortar; hence his 25LL crew running to the Mortar. I've sent one AC down to try to keep him away, I'm acquiring it with everything that can see the hex and I'm sending another couple AC's down here as well. He can't be allowed to re-man the mortar or my pontoons may be in trouble. I'll probably send the planes at him as well in his next turn, since the crew is stuck in the open at CC10 right now, although it looks like its trying to "will" itself into the adjacent woods!!!!

The plane battle couldn't have gone any better for me and with three planes; this will hopefully stop his student body right maneuver.

I highly doubt I'll be able to get a bridge across, but we are going to try by starting two 8-ton bridges in the next turn or so. I do have Rommel in a good spot to help both and a 9-2 AE leader down here as well. My PzIV's are also now providing much needed smoke cover. One other development is that we had a wind direction change and so in the Advancing Fire Phase the smoke is going to shift to the northeast, this will probably help me a little bit, by the drifting smoke hampering the mortar a little better (if he can re-crew it.)

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually I doubt the smoke will affect the mortar or the 25LL for that matter if I'm shooting at the far bank... haven't counted out the blind hexes but I bet I see over them and vice versa...

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Other highlights (or lowlights!) that happened yesterday.

I was able to finally find his observer and break him sending him fleeing to EE28 with his broken radio. I assume Steve will save this OBA for tomorrow now that we are 5 turns in.
I also was able to 1KIA the last Mortar crew, although it didn't kill the mortar; hence his 25LL crew running to the Mortar. I've sent one AC down to try to keep him away, I'm acquiring it with everything that can see the hex and I'm sending another couple AC's down here as well. He can't be allowed to re-man the mortar or my pontoons may be in trouble. I'll probably send the planes at him as well in his next turn, since the crew is stuck in the open at CC10 right now, although it looks like its trying to "will" itself into the adjacent woods!!!!

The plane battle couldn't have gone any better for me and with three planes; this will hopefully stop his student body right maneuver.

I highly doubt I'll be able to get a bridge across, but we are going to try by starting two 8-ton bridges in the next turn or so. I do have Rommel in a good spot to help both and a 9-2 AE leader down here as well. My PzIV's are also now providing much needed smoke cover. One other development is that we had a wind direction change and so in the Advancing Fire Phase the smoke is going to shift to the northeast, this will probably help me a little bit, by the drifting smoke hampering the mortar a little better (if he can re-crew it.)
A 9-2. Even for the AE, a rare bird in Dinant.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don't worry, that was the only leader roll worth a thing............And my 9-2's last about 2 seconds in most games.....
I'm sure the sniper stalks him as we speak.

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Can you tell me WHERE the bunkers are on the map? I have been looking for these but as you can't buy them
they must be on the map itself.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can you tell me WHERE the bunkers are on the map? I have been looking for these but as you can't buy them
You get trenches in the Initial Setup and you get Pillboxes. If you set them up accessible to each other, per B30.8, that is a Bunker. It is rare if ever, that you will see an OB assign a Bunker per se', it just assigns trenches and Pillboxes. If they are accessible, they are a Bunker.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We got back at it today. We are at the beginning of German Turn 7. Steve should post pictures.

After some fits and starts getting our heads around the pontoon rules, we have got it (I think), the problem I kept having was I wanted to keep pushing more men and pontoon sections into the same hex, which we then found you can't overstack a hex where you are doing bridge manhandling/construction. I was able to finally get a single section of 8-ton bridge built and I have another three unloaded (although not placed properly to build onto the one hex I already have built.

Steve continues to send people up to try to interdict the bridge building, but I have been firing every mortar, tank, etc at any French troops that shows themselves on the ridge, eventually knocking them back or even KIA'ing a couple of guys. He gave up on re-crewing the far northern mortar and went back to the 25LL AT gun and killed another armored car. Steve seems to be frustrated as to how to stop the Germans, I have about 60-70 VP of infantry across the river, but I won't be able to finish the bridge so they will all be under level 1 ammo shortage tomorrow. Steve is dismissing this as unimportant, but we will see how much this bothers my guys. I should be well on my way to building 3 bridges (2x 8-ton and 1x 16-ton) by tomorrow, so hopefully we won't have the level 2 shortage at any point coming into play.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The pillboxes are in LL15 (bunkered with a trench in KK15), LL20 (bunkered with a trench in KK21) and a pillbox by itself in KK54.