MG ROF when firing at an AVF

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi,

Sure this a very straight forward question - does a MMG/HMG firing at an AVF using the to hit procedures maintain it's normal rate of fire and thus can potentially fire multiple times on the AVF (within the rules for defensive fire/prep fire etc)?

I think it can but my opponent disagrees - I can't find anything to confirm or deny this in the rules which is why I think that it has a ROF but I am often wrong -could anyone clear this up for us please

Regards

Simon

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Rule A9.2 (note the "TH DR" at the end of this passage)

A9.2 MULTIPLE ROF: Each SW (or vehicular MA) MG has a number encased in a square to denote its Multiple ROF, and therefore may conceivably fire many times each Player Turn (whether separately or as part of a FG), depending on how long its operator engages each target. This time factor is abstractly represented by the Original colored dr of the MGs IFT-Resolution/TH-(9.6) DR.

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not only that, but with some good rolling you can kill the AFV, then switch targets and kill the infantry in another location.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
The really tricky play is taking an ordnance shot with the MG (no cower) and putting down a FL with the same shot.

Its all there in the rulz

rwcallen

Librarian at the Gates
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The really tricky play is taking an ordnance shot with the MG (no cower) and putting down a FL with the same shot.

Its all there in the rulz
So tired of people telling me I can't do this. Nasty little tactic to keep you from cowering on the FL shot. And you'll still have one first fire from your squad for reaction fire, or for follow up infantry if the AFV decides not to enter your hex. Great tip Jazz.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
So tired of people telling me I can't do this. Nasty little tactic to keep you from cowering on the FL shot. And you'll still have one first fire from your squad for reaction fire, or for follow up infantry if the AFV decides not to enter your hex. Great tip Jazz.
Sure you can do that. I do it whenever the chance comes up and the situation warrants it.

von Marwitz

aneil1234

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Best one is get RoF a few times THEN lay the FL
Best of both worlds
Can't pull it off all the time. But its fun when you can

I can still remember the ""Groan"" from my oppo the last time I did this
:eek::)?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Best one is get RoF a few times THEN lay the FL
Best of both worlds
Can't pull it off all the time. But its fun when you can

I can still remember the ""Groan"" from my oppo the last time I did this
:eek::)?
Risking cowering each time you fire without placing the FL is not the best way to play (that is 16.7% risk during each shot : at even with a 1 ROF MG).
But if things work well, it is fun indeed.

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
If hit the To kill DR is doubled as a IFT attack vs PRC.. and no hindrance nor TEM this time

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Still better is to keep rolling 1,2 with a conscript HS manning a captured HMG without Leader direction over and over until no living thing remains in LOS and then put down the FL - just because you can... ?

von Marwitz

aneil1234

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
But you don't risk cowering when youd be doing the ""to hit/to kills"" part of the deal
And there are lots of times you don't cower if you use leaders to direct/Commonwealth (they are Not British counters - Wish THAT had Errata lols) and or fanatic just to name a few
And I'll risk cowering any day to get a well placed FL going :)