Sad and angry About VASL 6.5.0

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
ASL is a just a game..........I went thru the real stuff.. It is far better to get a paper cut than a bullet or shrapnel wound. Just leave it the way it is and play with your gaming buddies, life is to damn short to squabble over petty things like tab names or, who is axis or allied or pink with a horn ..............

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
IIRC, the Germans made the gunshield a bit smaller on the gun as well...
The Soviet 76L represents 2 guns: the F-22 USV and the ZiS-3 (the F-22 is done as the 76LL). As about 100k of the ZiS-3 were made compared to 10k of the F-22 USV, we can take it as the "type". The ZiS-3 used the barrel of the F-22 USV with the addition of a muzzle brake on the carriage of the ZiS-2 57mm AT gun. The resultant gun was actuall slightly smaller (same height and width but shorter) and lighter than the ZiS-2.

So as a light artillery piece it could be argued that the extra ammo makes it a more vulnerable target. However it was both used as an infantry divisional artillery piece and as a dedicated AT gun in Tank Destroyer battalions/brigades. In the latter usage by SSR give it a type of AT and a Small size.

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am generally in favor of not being rude, even if you discover after the fact that you were being rude unintentionally. That said, in the interests of understanding as many points of view as possible, it might be interesting to know to what people in South Korean or Taiwan, say, would have to say on the matter.

I do think that giving FW its own tab would provide an increase in functionality, so I'm all in favor of that solution regardless of whether or not it turns out to be the most politically correct. For now, FW is very modular--if you are playing with FW components, it is not by accident, but because you have gone out of your way to do so. Therefore, giving it its own separate tray in VASL makes sense.

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
What might Russians think about Commissars shooting friendly units?
Whilst the other examples you brought are a matter of national sensitivity and political opinion, this one I believe is pretty much established as a historical fact.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Instead of a Korean War tab, how about a Campaign tab? That way you could place KW, Arab/ Israeli, ect. in there. Just a thought but, I have no idea on what kind (or how much) of coding would go with this thought.

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Country
llSweden
While your government advocates a policy of neutrality, participating on a war of reconquest on an individual basis is a strongly politically motivated act. So these anti-bolchevik sympathisers were clearly on the Axis side (just like the Vichy BTW) but this is not challenged here i understand.
Hm, Fact Check.

The Swedish Volunteers were primarily driven by helping Finland against the Russian aggressors (whether in the guise of USSR Communists or as a late reaction to the 1809 Tsarists occupying Finland). But even if some of them were anti-bolshevik, that hardly made them fighters on the AXIS side as USSR and Germany were "on the same side" in their unholy Non-Aggression pact of 1939.

I cannot remember details/quotes, but I believe to have read somewhere that the French Communists were placed in a major dilemma after the invasion in 1940, as their Comrades in Moscow were on the same side as the Nazi invaders. Did that make them Nazis?

The Swedes who later fought in Waffen-SS were both Nazis and anti-Communists, I am sure, but that is as previously stated a different matter.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Instead of a Korean War tab, how about a Campaign tab? That way you could place KW, Arab/ Israeli, ect. in there. Just a thought but, I have no idea on what kind (or how much) of coding would go with this thought.
Interesting idea. Maybe non-WW2 instead of Campaign.

For everyones info, you change the name of the Allied/Axis tab, you break every wreck depiction in the core module as well as break every extension that added counters under these tabs. I know there's more damage that would be done as well.

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For everyones info, you change the name of the Allied/Axis tab, you break every wreck depiction in the core module as well as break every extension that added counters under these tabs. I know there's more damage that would be done as well.
Good context! For those of us that only see "Axis" and "Allies" mattering for sniper reminder purposes, this is valuable to know. Perhaps another reason to take the approach suggested in the OP.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States

Yikes. That's way more integral than I would have expected. Is that because wrecks have to be associated to source vehicles via their menu location?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Why not just create a new VASL module specifically for Forgotten War? It's not like you need a list of all the Stalingrad HASL maps or 90% of the OB stuff in the current VASL module for FW.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Do you not also get some Swedish volunteers fighting against the Germans in Norway?

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I thought that I caught, up thread, that it would quite be a bit of coding to keep everything in two tabs. Non WW II would fit. Although it would still be a bit to fix any of the current .vmods.

There are a few non WW II modules:

KW (2 right now, more on the way)
Spanish Civil War
Arab/ Israeli Wars
WW I
American Civil War

I just wanted to throw the last 2 in for kicks.. :)

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Country
llSweden
Do you not also get some Swedish volunteers fighting against the Germans in Norway?
Very interesting point, Martin.

The ASL module "Swedish Volunteers" does indeed include three scenarios where volunteers from Sweden fought in Norway. I do not know more about these fighters than what you can read on the scenario cards, I am afraid. But what is stated on these scenario cards is that these were fighters who had previously fought in the Winter War in Finland.

I think the difference is the following:
(1) The Swedish Volunteers in Finland ("Svenska frivilligkåren") was militarily organized in three formal battalions and some auxiliary troops including airplanes. Whilst not officially sanctioned by the Swedish Government, they were allowed to buy arms from the Swedish Army using money collected from Swedish donors. They numbered over 8000, the number in Norway was probably much much lower.
(2) The few volunteers in Norway were probably just that, a few individual volunteers. I can find only one relevant reference, and that is to a biography over one of these individual, Jan Danielsen. A review of the book, which I do not own, seems to indicate that his involvement in Finland was condoned by his army superiors, whereas the one in Norway was not. "Den 30 november 1939 angrep Sovjetunionen lilla Finland och Jan bestämde sig för att ställa upp på finnarnas sida. Han hann emellertid aldrig hamna i strid innan vapnen tystnade men den 9 april året efter angrep Hitler Norge och Jan bestämde sig för att gå in som frivillig även där. Och kom iväg trots att hans militära överordnade inte ville ge honom tillstånd. Där träffade han på flera kamrater från Svenska Frivilligkåren i Finland och nu hamnade han i reguljära eldstrider med tyskarna."

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Country
llSweden
The few volunteers in Norway were probably just that, a few individual volunteers.
Hm, I have found a reference from the Swedish military historian Lars Gyllenhaal who claims that around 300 Swedes fought on the side of Norway/Britain in Norway in May 1940. The same author claims that the number of Swedes later fighting in Waffen SS was around 200, compared to the 8'000 in Finland 1939.

The picture is from Finland, where some Swedes pose on a Russian tank.

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Country
llSweden
They look distinctly Finnish to me, Magnus.
Could be, Peter.

But the guy to the right is supposedly Conny Andersson, a Swede who fought in Finland and later was a driving force behind establishing the "Norgebataljonen", a force established in 1945. Norgebataljonen never saw any action as the Germans in Norway managed to surrender first.

Here is another picture of Conny. Same man? I cannot tell.