Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
This weekends task I hope to do is sort out all the different TPSp folders ovv FB stuff and put all the bagged items into folders on these double depth shelves
Sheet #1 of CdG is clipped and trayed (word?) while plotting my opponents downfall.

I second the "no binge clipping" advice. That gets painful.
you just have to work through it and do more?

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished turn 3 of my SASL HASL CG. And I am killing myself goodly.
Well you’re playing a tough opponent. Hang in there. Maybe you’ll learn something ?

But seriously Don. You’re doing an excellent job with your AAR. Lots of pictures. Pictures are good for me. Thoroughly enjoying it.

Chappy , yours too!

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Finished turn 5 in my SASL HASL CG. Halfway done with mission one (recon).

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
What are the physical dimesions of that map? Looks like helluva big one.

The lack of terrain features combined with the sheer size will enable the experience of types of firefights that are hardly ever encountered elsewhere. You rarely see any shots in ASL beyond 16 hexes, not to mention several dozens of hexes.

Probably hardly anyone has thorough practical experience of how Gun and Tank battles play at such extreme ranges as well as ASL can depcit them reasonably well.

The only way this map will be practically playable IMHO is in a combination of the real map AND VASL. You need the real map for keeping (more precisely allowing) an overview while VASL will be needed to avoid the otherwise absolute PITA of LOS calculation and hex-distance counting.

von Marwitz

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
What are the physical dimesions of that map? Looks like helluva big one.

The lack of terrain features combined with the sheer size will enable the experience of types of firefights that are hardly ever encountered elsewhere. You rarely see any shots in ASL beyond 16 hexes, not to mention several dozens of hexes.

Probably hardly anyone has thorough practical experience of how Gun and Tank battles play at such extreme ranges as well as ASL can depcit them reasonably well.

The only way this map will be practically playable IMHO is in a combination of the real map AND VASL. You need the real map for keeping (more precisely allowing) an overview while VASL will be needed to avoid the otherwise absolute PITA of LOS calculation and hex-distance counting.

von Marwitz
Would like to witness the discussion between you and the two princesses what has priority 1 to be placed on the floor. Your strange ASL map or the Playmobil castle and/ or the Pony stables...

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Would like to witness the discussion between you and the two princesses what has priority 1 to be placed on the floor. Your strange ASL map or the Playmobil castle and/ or the Pony stables...
Well, I reckon that even the German early Panthers and Ferdinands would be in for an unpleasant surprise. After the Germans having beaten off Polish cavalry charges vs. armored vehicles earlier in the war with contempt, the Panther and Ferdinand counters would see that being subject to a Playmobil cavalry charge with princess riders is an entirely different matter that would just wipe them off the battlefield...

Cheers,
von Marwitz

Last edited:

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
My neighbour recommended that I listen to the Russian ballad "The Volga Boatmen". I was impressed. Next time you play Stalingrad listen to this....

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My neighbour recommended that I listen to the Russian ballad "The Volga Boatmen". I was impressed. Next time you play Stalingrad listen to this....

Great performance!
Although I prefer 'Echelon's Song'.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Exactly 75 years ago the Battle of Berlin was being fought.